Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Facing a dilemma with performance parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-08, 12:13 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Facing a dilemma with performance parts

Lately, I've been pondering a couple of key upgrade components for the IS250 performance---Tanabe exhaust and the Joe-Z.

Me, I want them now after members replies and research. Even some of my friends support my decision. Here comes the ice-breaker: my gf doesn't want me to put them on!!!! She loves my car the way it is and will consider me immature for spending all that money for something that makes the car loud and obnoxious (in her own words).

Have you guys been in this situation before? If so, how do you work around this? Give up or try to persuade her? How would I persuade her? If I were single, those parts are as good as mine.
Old 05-08-08, 12:19 AM
Drunkebuda
Lexus Test Driver

ummm that sounds like what my mommy tells me you have a good car why fix something that done need to be fix. I told them to be different then half the isx50 driving down the street. Thats why we mod we dont want a stock look and sound :P i love the new sound with exhaust and intake sounds meaner i say do it.
Old 05-08-08, 12:21 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is sort of like that too. She says that I should save my money for better things, because cars are not permanent investments. If you do plan on keeping the car though, 5, 7 years down the line, if you do keep it for that long, (which I plan on), will you be happy with your mods? The mods I have done so far, I probably would do then too.

Your gf stated her opinion, and it really is up to you to decide if you really want to do it or not. I did the mods anyway and she still loves me just as much.

Gf though won't leave you because of some mods, she just may think less of you.
Old 05-08-08, 12:47 AM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you really think about it, what she said makes sense. Nothing against people that mod their 2IS, but why put an exhaust on a luxury car? why make a car louder with almost no performance gain? use that money and spend it on mazzuri (sp) headers....he's claiming 15-20 rwhp and 20-25 rwtq gain. If it's true then that's the best bang for the buck right now.
Old 05-08-08, 12:54 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't tell her. And when she finds out tell her to deal with it. My girlfriend doesn't like the tanabe on the freeways because of the constant rumble, but she's dealing with it.
Old 05-08-08, 01:02 AM
gocubs08
Pole Position

exhaust is a tough one to slip by.. go with Greddy and she'll be in love!
Old 05-08-08, 01:49 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe she just likes riding in a quiet lex. Quite understandable I have also outgrown the noise thing. You have a 250 anyways.. that thing aint going to outperform even a run of the mill camry even if you slapped on every performance part there is that's sold for this car. I say focus on some light mods like F sport suspension and Joe Z and be done with it. It's your ride though and you do what you want but think about it.
Old 05-08-08, 02:05 AM
iialcii
Lexus Champion

Ya, my girl thinks its a waste of money, but hey what ever makes u happy right? Cars and Mods is a guys thing. I bet if you told her, that instead of you buying an exhaust and intake, you take the cash and buy her a LV/Gucci....etc Bag she wont complain. Otherwise its ur money your ride your vanity.

I love my JoeZ and Tanabe hehehe
Old 05-08-08, 02:15 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

tell her modding is your hobby and hobbies cost $$$. if she's worried about the sound from the exhaust, get one that's quiet but looks good. the blitz looks nice and you can barely hear it...
Old 05-08-08, 04:07 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Default JoeZ= power, mileage, sound

Hmmmm... let's see.... put the JoeZ on and my wife was driving my car two days a week... now it's three... the stereo's always playing Kid Rock (Rockn'Roll Jesus) as she mentions "the drive home" and "having a little fun" .... plus we aren't filling up as often... should I go on?....
Old 05-08-08, 07:25 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just get it done, and say nothing...
Old 05-08-08, 07:36 AM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The JoeZ and Tanabe will not make the car loud and obnoxious; they will simply give a slight sports car sound (slight purr). If you are doing this for performance, you will not feel any difference, just appearance and sound.

Koz
Old 05-08-08, 07:38 AM
kargahi
Driver

get it done and u dont even need to tell her, if she said something be like, no it always sounded like this , and then give her a kiss on the cheeek and u be as good as new , i used to do that all the time and by the way my mom hates me moding my cars becuse she says i get more speeding tix and u know what, she is right!!! except that yeah, i think u should do it, im gettin my muffler done very soon and i really dont care about anybody, but then again im a rebel ... lol
Old 05-08-08, 08:43 AM
100plus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Joez intake is barely noticeable, once you put on all the engine covers, its like you never changed anything. Exhaust might not be a huge stand out, but unless your gf really really takes small details to notice.... o welll. Its not like youre spending 10grand on your car over her. Simple mods shouldnt hurt, she might like it too . It is your decision to make, she simply is just against the idea. Maybe she wants you to spend those $100's on her
Old 05-08-08, 08:57 AM
Giggity
Pole Position

Did I miss something? The title of this thread mentioned performance parts, putting a shiny exhaust and and shiny intake tube don't do anything noticeable in the performance department.
Magpie mods so you can say "look at my shiny bits"

Quick Reply: Facing a dilemma with performance parts