Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lexus HKS and F-sport exhuast review (large pics and vids inside)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08 | 03:16 PM
wjimmy
Driver School Candidate

I wish I could hear the F-Sport in person. Anyone installed it in SoCal ?
Old 05-17-08 | 08:56 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

Originally Posted by carchitect
Guys I don't like how loud the F-sport exhaust sounds in the car. I agree that it sounds good. But its loud. I think it will attract too much attention to the car. I like my mods subtle but sweet. The Lexus HKS and Tanabe sound perfect for someone like me. The F-sport sounds like the HKS Hi-Power with silencers. The noise is loud inside the vehicle. I think the reasoning behind this is change to a straight pipe is the IS-F. It sounds louder than the IS350 w/ Lexus HKS exhaust. I know the IS350 w/F-sport exhaust sounds louder than the IS-F.

The F-sport exhuast has a drone to it. The Lexus HKS is quite when cruising. The F-sport is not. You can hear it. If someone tags along with you they will notice it also and probably not like it.

If you're into a quite exhuast I'd recommend the Lexus HKS or the Tanabe exhaust. If you want to be heard and like to have some sportiness to the vehicle, get the F-sport , HKS Hi-Power w/inserts, or Trust (Greddy) exhaust.

The reason why I like the OEM exhaust is its a 3-piece section. Soon I'll be looking into making a true-dual conversion by installing 2 pipes from the manifolds to the mufflers. If it gets too loud I'd probably get rid of it and go back to the Lexus HKS exhaust. This being my daily driver, I prefer some quiteness. I prefer this car being Dr. Jekyll and the other car in my sig as Mr. Hyde.
This post gave me serious doubts about my plan to get the F-Sport. From your comparison, I think the Lexus HKS is a better match for me.
Old 05-19-08 | 09:46 PM
kevenhang
Pole Position

nice review
Old 05-20-08 | 09:59 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by wjimmy
I wish I could hear the F-Sport in person. Anyone installed it in SoCal ?
Come to the Lexus Performance Driving Academy in Fontana on May 31/June 1 and you'll be able to hear it in person.

Javier
Old 05-20-08 | 06:23 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 200000

Well I had the Lexus HKS installed today and I totally agree with carchitect's opinion about it. So far I'm satisfied.
Old 06-19-08 | 12:54 AM
Stars
Driver School Candidate

What does dummy exhaust mean? Does that mean its operating only on one side of the exhaust for the F-sport? Or dummy means louder? Sorry for the noobness~ And so jealous that you guys even get the 2 options for exhaust, cos Lexus seem to miss Australia in terms of any accessories~ Boo~
Old 06-19-08 | 06:48 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Yeah the right side muffler on the F-sport is not a muffler. Its just a straight pipe with what looks like a muffler around it.

You could purchase any exhuast systems from US and have them shipped down under, ya kno..
Old 06-19-08 | 07:02 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

^^ Truly interesting setup...

Very surprised that two different left-right muffler designs were incorporated into these systems...

Joe Z
Old 06-20-08 | 04:41 AM
Stars
Driver School Candidate

Yeah the right side muffler on the F-sport is not a muffler. Its just a straight pipe with what looks like a muffler around it.

You could purchase any exhuast systems from US and have them shipped down under, ya kno..

Does that mean the Lexus HKS exhaust is better value since it uses both sides? I mean, if I do order one for the US, I want the better valued and not too loud (otherwise it wrecks the luxuriousness). So what your saying is that the left one is the one is controlling the sound (loudness) between the HKS and F-sport?

PS. No wonder you didn't burn you hand in your video of the F-sport, when u covered it and stuff... but when u covered it, I could hear no muffler sound, which was interesting since it was a dummy as you said~
Old 06-20-08 | 05:02 AM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stars
Does that mean the Lexus HKS exhaust is better value since it uses both sides? I mean, if I do order one for the US, I want the better valued and not too loud (otherwise it wrecks the luxuriousness). So what your saying is that the left one is the one is controlling the sound (loudness) between the HKS and F-sport?
Actually, the right muffler is the one that is non-existent in the F-sport so its the one controlling the sound difference. The left one is a muffler after all.

I would stick to the Lexus HKS exhuast if you're looking for luxuriousness.

Originally Posted by Stars
PS. No wonder you didn't burn you hand in your video of the F-sport, when u covered it and stuff... but when u covered it, I could hear no muffler sound, which was interesting since it was a dummy as you said~
I didn't let it run or hold it long enoughto burn my hand. As you can see, I had just started it up for the vids.
Old 06-24-08 | 08:35 PM
Stars
Driver School Candidate

Actually, the right muffler is the one that is non-existent in the F-sport so its the one controlling the sound difference. The left one is a muffler after all.
Lol... I am so confused now~ So HKS's RIGHT muffler, makes it more silent, and the dummy on F-sport makes it more loud. And both of the left mufflers create a different tone? Hahaha... damn, I wish ppl had these installed at the local lexus but they dont~!!!
Old 06-27-08 | 12:04 PM
Ai1080
Driver School Candidate

I saw the L. of Westminster IS250 f-sport display car and they started it for me. it sounds very very nice especially throaty with the intake. its not too deep and throaty though it sounds perfect. i loved how it sounded when i was rev'n it. I got pricing on the exhaust and they were very negotiable with the price comparing to Sewell...anyways I think I'll get the f-sport exhaust in a few weeks ,...cant wait!
Old 07-04-08 | 07:06 PM
DaleBou
Driver School Candidate

I had the F-Sport on my vehicle and the sound was entirely to loud for my liking. I did notice before I removed the system that the passenger side tip showed a lot of carbon residue, however, the drivers side was completely clean after about 300 miles usage.
Old 09-20-08 | 10:32 AM
scruffydog
Rookie

So as a summary, for the people that already have the Lexus HKS Dual Sport, the only difference between the F-sport is the Right canister? If that's the case, does anyone know if they (any Lexus dealerships) can just sell the right canister of the F-sport for people to interchange the exhaust system to make it louder when they want to?

Btw, I personally own the Lexus HKS, and I love it so much, but at times, I seriously wish it's louder....like when i'm not driving my g/f
Old 09-20-08 | 03:52 PM
g0tpersian
Rookie

Ok, I'm kind of lost.

Does the insert in both of the left mufflers silence it a bit?

If so, can I have that insert taken out of that left pipe and it would be louder?

Also, the only reason the f-sport is louder is cause it runs a straight pipe?

I have the HKS exhaust, and honestly, that thing is loud. Like, it's not loud when you start the car, like a cold start. Actually, take that back, if you cold start the car and stand to the back side of the car, those pipes make a lot of noise. When I'm cruising though and the engines warm, like, 2300-2700RPM, the HKS is makng tones of noise.

Since I got my K&N intake, once I hit 3200RPM I can't hear my exhaust anymore cause my intake is so dang loud.

Quick Reply: Lexus HKS and F-sport exhuast review (large pics and vids inside)