Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Has anyone had a problem with the push button start every so often?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-08, 01:30 PM
lilthanh19
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone had a problem with the push button start every so often?

I've had my car for about 6 months now, but every so often when i start my car, it begin the start and then cut off. Then i would try again and the second time it would start. There are times where i would need a third time. Has anyone had this problem? What would cause this?
Old 05-20-08, 02:02 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Mine does that every once in a while. I think its from the fuel pressure bleeding down and having to pump back up during over night restart. I won't worry about it too much and just hit the button again if it repeats.

If the concern happens every morning, consistently, I may give the car back to the service department to have them take a look at it.

I think, the reason why it's doing so is from the gas tank going into vacuum when the temperature drops overnight.

-Joe
Old 05-20-08, 02:23 PM
lilthanh19
Driver

what if the problem isn't always from leaving the car overnight? It has happened to me after driving for a bit, then i would stop off at the grocery store or something, then when i get back to the car, the start would just cut off. Then i would just push again.
Old 05-20-08, 02:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,400 Posts

How long are you holding the button down? Press, hold, count slowly, one, two and release. If you just tap it, it will not work well at all.
Old 05-20-08, 03:00 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,063 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by carchitect
Mine does that every once in a while. I think its from the fuel pressure bleeding down and having to pump back up during over night restart. I won't worry about it too much and just hit the button again if it repeats.

If the concern happens every morning, consistently, I may give the car back to the service department to have them take a look at it.

I think, the reason why it's doing so is from the gas tank going into vacuum when the temperature drops overnight.

-Joe

Joe ,

Ever notice after shuting down the car (IS)... About 20-30 mins later there is this electronic hum or buzz for about 1 second??

I've heard it lately only because I have been wrenching on my car after moving it.. (not because I stand there and wait to hear it )

Joe Z
Old 05-20-08, 03:33 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it possible its for emissions? I had another car, if they where being honest with me, that did this to me some what frequently. It was an Acura and I was told it was something to do with the emissions and that is why it didnt fire up? I wish I could recall as its been like 10 years....if there is truth to this maybe this is the cause? I have never had this happen with my IS.
Old 05-20-08, 06:07 PM
nsxiboi
Lead Lap

maybe you're not depressing the brakes long and/or hard enough....
Old 05-20-08, 06:15 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
How long are you holding the button down? Press, hold, count slowly, one, two and release. If you just tap it, it will not work well at all.
Knock wood, mine has always started on the first push, even using just a momentary tap.

The only time that it's turned off after first push is after the battery was disconnected, which has already been discussed as "normal."
Old 05-21-08, 06:08 AM
lilthanh19
Driver

i have my cluth fulle depressed, brakes pressed, and i push and hold. Even with the hold, it will occasionally just cut off the start. i would say this happens once every 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 05-26-08, 03:06 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Joe ,

Ever notice after shuting down the car (IS)... About 20-30 mins later there is this electronic hum or buzz for about 1 second??

I've heard it lately only because I have been wrenching on my car after moving it.. (not because I stand there and wait to hear it )

Joe Z
Its probably one of the tests for the evaporative emissions monitor being run.
Old 06-16-08, 06:28 PM
lilthanh19
Driver

OK, so now its starting to happen a little more often. Happens about once or twice a week now. on some starts, i tries to start for a good 4-5seconds and then stops. kinda sounds like a startup of a dead car that you'll need to push. i don't know what to do now. if i take it to the dealer and they can't get the problem to occur, then they'll just gimme the car back.
Old 06-17-08, 06:38 PM
ChiroBLD
Driver School Candidate

Not sure if this is the same as your problem lilthanh19, but mine has done this once in awhile: foot on pedal, push and hold start button and it would crank fine and start but immediately die-- like ignition just turned off. Sometimes would take 4 tries like this. Yes my foot was FIRMLY on pedal and held the button for LONG time with green light on, very frustrating.
2 weeks ago did it 3 times in one day so went to the dealer and they replaced the fob battery under warranty and has been fine since. They said it needs to be changed at every service interval.
Hope thats it!
Old 06-17-08, 06:43 PM
inxexisten
Lead Lap

only happened to me once and what was cause the battery charge was really low... otherwise it has always worked the first time...
Old 06-17-08, 08:06 PM
lilthanh19
Driver

Chiro, i think you had the same problem as i do. i guess i'll bring it into the dealership to see what they say.
Old 06-17-08, 11:19 PM
Sgt_K
Driver

I noticed what JoeZ was saying about the humming nose about thirty minutes after shut down when I first got my car. I looked in the owner’s manual and some where, I don’t exactly remember where, it states that the fuel system has an electric vent system that bleeds off pressure to prevent the fuel vapor pressure from building up to high on hot days.