Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

best air intake system for the gs?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-08, 01:56 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
K&N also lets more crap in through the filter though ... I still say SRT all the way !!
Who cares though...it's just a filter that can easily be replaced for $50. I just bought Amsoil's latest nanotechnology high efficiency filter. It has more surface area than the K&N one which has alot more surface area than the SRT filter. It is a dry media washable filter with supposedly the best flow (has a velocity stack on top as well) over all competition. I'll let you guys know when I install it.
Old 05-21-08, 06:05 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't plan on any other mods, then go with SRT, but if you want to add headers or an a/f controller, then SRT would be a waste of money.
Old 05-21-08, 06:34 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
If you don't plan on any other mods, then go with SRT, but if you want to add headers or an a/f controller, then SRT would be a waste of money.
What he said, even the exhaust gains wont factor in because of the pre-set ECU. But I don't think it's a complete waste of money in that the piping on the SRT is bigger (thus the need for the ECU) and once you do add in headers, exhaust, bigger filter and an SAFC it should give you better gains in the end. Well in theory.

If you aren't going to do much more then I'd suggest patrolling the classifieds or ebay as the SRT does pop up ever now and then. Just be sure you get the correct ECU for your car.

Last edited by oohpapi44; 05-21-08 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-21-08, 10:06 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

I hope the SRT pipe nets more power with a A/F controller over the race ecu, if not I completely wasted money on the pipe. Good thing I found just the pipe without the ecu, which was a lot cheaper. However; if you pay close to $500 for SRT, $250 for safc and another $200 for tune and only end up with a few extra hp over K&N+safc. That's where I see SRT being a waste of money.
Old 05-22-08, 06:34 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by soakgame
thanks..

so k&n or srt? what's your choice? $450-500 seems like a lot to spend on an intake =/ $325 for the k&n seems more reasonable
Well you have to remember with the SRT you're not only paying for the intake itself, you're also paying for the ECU. It seems pretty reasonably priced for what you get. And if you can install it yourself you can save some $$, if you need someone to install it for you then you're gonna have to pay up because of the soldering of the wires ...

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Who cares though...it's just a filter that can easily be replaced for $50. I just bought Amsoil's latest nanotechnology high efficiency filter. It has more surface area than the K&N one which has alot more surface area than the SRT filter. It is a dry media washable filter with supposedly the best flow (has a velocity stack on top as well) over all competition. I'll let you guys know when I install it.
Well if you change the filter it's not going to give you the same results ... I forget where I read it but one of the guys here performed a test on the different filters. He held a flashlight up to the SRT filter and noticed that no light filtered through, but when he held the flashlight up to the K&N he was able to see specs and holes of light shining through it ... The K&N lets ALOT more through than the other filters and thus provides a slight bit more air flow (more power) than other intakes without ECU or tuning devices, BUT it also lets through other unwanted crap that can get into your engine ...
Old 05-22-08, 07:06 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find where I ordered mine from, but spend some time searching and you can get a new K&N for $260.....that's what I paid!
Old 05-22-08, 07:42 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Well you have to remember with the SRT you're not only paying for the intake itself, you're also paying for the ECU. It seems pretty reasonably priced for what you get. And if you can install it yourself you can save some $$, if you need someone to install it for you then you're gonna have to pay up because of the soldering of the wires ...

Well if you change the filter it's not going to give you the same results ... I forget where I read it but one of the guys here performed a test on the different filters. He held a flashlight up to the SRT filter and noticed that no light filtered through, but when he held the flashlight up to the K&N he was able to see specs and holes of light shining through it ... The K&N lets ALOT more through than the other filters and thus provides a slight bit more air flow (more power) than other intakes without ECU or tuning devices, BUT it also lets through other unwanted crap that can get into your engine ...

....I guess you haven't seen the new Amsoil filter yet...supposedly it's the highest flowing and highest filtration currently available! Oh, and I got a larger size filter for even more air flow (surface area) that just "makes it" in the intake area on my GS400.
Old 05-22-08, 09:29 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

....I guess you haven't seen the new Amsoil filter yet...supposedly it's the highest flowing and highest filtration currently available! Oh, and I got a larger size filter for even more air flow (surface area) that just "makes it" in the intake area on my GS400.
Nice, let me know the results with your new filter, if it really is higher flow AND higher filtration than the SRT filter then I might consider getting it ... I can't see though how it's able to achieve higher filtration and still be higher flowing than others since the filter would be more densly packed
Old 05-22-08, 11:04 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Nice, let me know the results with your new filter, if it really is higher flow AND higher filtration than the SRT filter then I might consider getting it ... I can't see though how it's able to achieve higher filtration and still be higher flowing than others since the filter would be more densly packed
It's all about the filter material used...it also utilizes nanotechnology in the filter construction something no other filter uses...yet.
Old 05-22-08, 12:25 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

It's all about the filter material used...it also utilizes nanotechnology in the filter construction something no other filter uses...yet.
Sounds good, let me know
Old 05-22-08, 01:34 PM
rudesgeiger
Driver School Candidate

is the SRT intake system noticeable loud?

jack
Old 05-22-08, 01:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Yes it's noticeably loud, especially at wide open throttle.
Old 05-22-08, 07:53 PM
drewefx
Pole Position

This guy claims to have an intake for the gs300.

http://www.autoanything.com/air-intakes/20A50096A1.aspx

is that true or is it one of those you get it home and it dont work?
then you are screwed outta your money
Old 05-23-08, 06:07 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rudesgeiger
is the SRT intake system noticeable loud?

jack
You almost can't hear it under 2k rpm ... you start to hear it around 2500 rpm and then its just a beautiful sound at WOT ... but yea it's loud, it sounds great