Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Finally got my PI TC installed. WOW!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 05:21 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by omegagavin
Yep, open diff. I guess if you're going in a straight line on a flat surface the weight is pretty evenly distibuted and both tires hook up. Pretty cool.
Dude...I MUST say that your video single handily swayed my decision on the PI TC about 2 years ago. I remember I even asked you a bunch of questions via PM. Thanks for that input! Very happy with the results and awesome video btw - it's a classic. I am going to make a crazy one soon myself for our fellow CL members! Just need to get someone to video me while I drive. lol
Old 06-04-08, 12:04 PM
omegagavin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Dude...I MUST say that your video single handily swayed my decision on the PI TC about 2 years ago. I remember I even asked you a bunch of questions via PM. Thanks for that input! Very happy with the results and awesome video btw - it's a classic. I am going to make a crazy one soon myself for our fellow CL members! Just need to get someone to video me while I drive. lol
No doubt it is money well spent. Best bang for the buck performance mod for GS400s by a landslide. I think PI owes me some kickback money.
Old 06-04-08, 01:02 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking at the condition I am in what are the chances me against a G35 couple on 19" wheels. They have a lip on it and seem to be decent in weight. I have a PI TQ and a srt intake. I also have Vossen 20" rims that are heavy and a two 12s in the trunk. What are the chances i can take him off the line. Any shifting suggestions...should i use tiptronic (even though i never use it or know how to) what are possible suggestions. Seems to me like off the line it screeches so much that the guy might have me. How much torque does it add to the stock by the PI TC?

thanks....BTW my friend doesn't know I have installed the TC and SRT INTAKE in my car...

I hope I can take him.
Old 06-04-08, 10:07 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by omegagavin
Here's a vid I took a couple of years ago when I had my 2800 stall PI installed. No LSD, just stock open diff.

http://www.fototime.com/DA3A4E2B82AA48C/orig.wmv
This is the first evidence I have seen on a GS4xx of the Lexus/Toyota open differential acting like a limited slip.

How many miles were on your car at the time of the video?

I have seen this happen on older SC and LS models. The reason (my theory) if you understand how an LSD works and look at the design of the factory open differential. It must be that as the units wear they increase in friction in the spider gear to housing surfaces. With this friction the stock open diff starts acting as a LSD. On an open differential there is equal torque to both tires as long as each tire has full traction. It does not take that much friction to achieve LSD action. In fact that is exactly what a clutch style LSD does. It creates enough friction to continue to torque both tires even if one looses traction and yet still slip enough to be a differential when the vehicle is turning an each rear tire must rotate at a different RPM.
Old 06-05-08, 05:09 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

...perhaps his tires were really bald in that video where it didn't produce enough friction (traction) to trigger the stock open diff to make one wheel spin.
Old 06-05-08, 07:19 AM
omegagavin
Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
This is the first evidence I have seen on a GS4xx of the Lexus/Toyota open differential acting like a limited slip.

How many miles were on your car at the time of the video?

I have seen this happen on older SC and LS models. The reason (my theory) if you understand how an LSD works and look at the design of the factory open differential. It must be that as the units wear they increase in friction in the spider gear to housing surfaces. With this friction the stock open diff starts acting as a LSD. On an open differential there is equal torque to both tires as long as each tire has full traction. It does not take that much friction to achieve LSD action. In fact that is exactly what a clutch style LSD does. It creates enough friction to continue to torque both tires even if one looses traction and yet still slip enough to be a differential when the vehicle is turning an each rear tire must rotate at a different RPM.
There were about 30,000 miles on the car at the time. Tires were not bald either.
Old 06-06-08, 10:28 AM
Hectorm
Pole Position

Guys, for the rest of the crowd... what is PI TQ/PI TC?.
thanks
Old 06-06-08, 10:51 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

PI TC = Precision Industry Torque Converter

PI TQ is mislabled.
Old 06-13-08, 08:11 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

is the PI torque convertter the one that the company takes oem TC's and rebuilds them with higher stalls? where did u order it and how much was it??
Old 06-13-08, 08:14 AM
RICHYRICH
Pole Position

No its a new unit that replaces the factory unit with a higher stall...Carson sells them for 750 i think that is the cheapest I know off
Old 06-13-08, 08:32 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

yea i just read up and realized it was Lextreme that rebuilds them.. its only $250 which is definetly appealing, but wanna seea if any others have it and how they like it..
Old 06-14-08, 10:36 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam2562
yea i just read up and realized it was Lextreme that rebuilds them.. its only $250 which is definetly appealing, but wanna seea if any others have it and how they like it..
Pearlpower has one on his SC430 last I heard he was happy with it.
Old 06-15-08, 08:02 AM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Pearlpower has one on his SC430 last I heard he was happy with it.
hmm i'm gonna have to talk to him a bit.. thats good to cuz KiPod wasnt sure if they made any for the sc340. thanks!
Old 06-15-08, 12:01 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GS430 TC is the same as on the SC430. and I've been told that it is the same as the GS400 98-00. This is the route I was planning, I bought a used TC awhile ago to use.
here is Pearlpower's post
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...39#post3605939

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 06-15-08 at 02:26 PM. Reason: TC instead or tanny
Old 06-15-08, 01:24 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

hmm u think the 430 tranny is the same as the 400.. even tho the 430 have a lil more power? i kno i its not much but i feel theyd change sumthing.. like in the TC especially if anything at all... p.s. thanks for that link

Quick Reply: Finally got my PI TC installed. WOW!