Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Megan Mid Pipe questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-08, 09:02 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the difference is the piping is larger aswell. Its a 3 piece 2 pieces that connect to the headers and then 1 piece that is the mid pipe.

lol and the above pic is not what it looks like at all

it looks like this

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-26-08, 09:05 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SebsIS350
the difference is the piping is larger aswell. Its a 3 piece 2 pieces that connect to the headers and then 1 piece that is the mid pipe.

it looks like this

[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks for clearing that up. So the piping is 2.5" instead of the factory 2.25"? So then this 2.5" midpipe then hooks up to the 2.25" axle back where it then bottlenecks before splitting to each muffler. hmmmm
Old 05-26-08, 09:08 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

lol wow you responded fast, i was refering to passnu's pic, just to clarify ,

Correct the piping is larger until it hits the axle-back. Does it increase horsepower? who knows lol. I feel a difference top end. But when i get my Tanabe Exhaust I'm going to dyno it and see if it really does something.
Old 05-26-08, 09:14 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

lol wow you responded fast, i was refering to passnu's pic, just to clarify ,

Correct the piping is larger until it hits the axle-back. Does it increase horsepower? who knows lol. I feel a difference top end. But when i get my Tanabe Exhaust I'm going to dyno it and see if it really does something.
I'd be curious to hear what the difference in weight is over the factory mid-pipe. I can see two benefits here. Nice increase in sound and reduction in weight. HP like everyone said would probably be questionable.

I'm thinking the best thing to do on a budget would be to keep the OEM system and just cut out the resonator and secondaries for consistent exhaust pipe diameter, most weight reduction and guaranteed increase in sound. Maybe too much sound..but I'm not sure.
Old 05-26-08, 09:32 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it looks like this

[IMG][/IMG]
you are correct. bad pic that I posted. that is why i said generic...here is a better pic so you can see the 3 pipes for reference. not the greatest but you can get a better idea...
Attached Thumbnails Megan Mid Pipe questions.....-megan.jpg  
Old 05-26-08, 12:05 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caymandive
Thanks for clearing that up. So the piping is 2.5" instead of the factory 2.25"? So then this 2.5" midpipe then hooks up to the 2.25" axle back where it then bottlenecks before splitting to each muffler. hmmmm
is it really still 2.25 on the aftermarket? i cant say that I recall what the Tanabe is? So its going to get restricted as its hits the aftermarket and makes its way to the mufflers...anyone know for sure if this is the case?? I am still on board to try this out either way. we can always custom that rear section so that its constant 2.5 from mid pipes to the tips....

I think you are right on that its going to sound better IMO, be less weight, larger diameter pipes, possible increase in MPG, and HP well lets say its not going to be anything to brag about on this car.
Old 05-26-08, 12:40 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by passnu2
is it really still 2.25 on the aftermarket? i cant say that I recall what the Tanabe is? So its going to get restricted as its hits the aftermarket and makes its way to the mufflers...anyone know for sure if this is the case?? I am still on board to try this out either way. we can always custom that rear section so that its constant 2.5 from mid pipes to the tips....
I just went and did some measurements.
-The Tanabe is 2 3/8" where it connects with the large resonator
-The Tanabe pipes going into each of the mufflers is 2"
-Coming off the primary cats to the large single resonator is 2" diameter as well.
Old 05-26-08, 01:01 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

-Coming off the primary cats to the large single resonator is 2" diameter as well.
Wow...Thank you

So then what is the benefit of the pipes changing? On my past cars I cant say I measured but they started at 2.5 then went to 3"...I had this done with a Greddy exhaust in the past where I had a custom 3" mid pipe and "test pipes" so I was true 3" from the Turbo all the way back...Only thing is I never did check the aftermarket exhaust if it was a true 3" to the tip....makes me wonder now. I know 2 totally different cars and setups here but just using as an example.

So is there a benefit to the 2.5 mid pipe in size I mean?

You are the guru on this stuff here so I am all ears

Thanks again for getting that info! Very kind of you!!

Mike
Old 05-26-08, 01:19 PM
SebsIS350
Driver

hey Mike if you wanted to keep the piping equal 2.5 all the way from the header back then order the entire Megan set. The axle back part is also 2.5. Louder then the tanabe though.. depends how much sound you want.
Old 05-26-08, 01:38 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

hey Mike if you wanted to keep the piping equal 2.5 all the way from the header back then order the entire Megan set. The axle back part is also 2.5. Louder then the tanabe though.. depends how much sound you want.
Thanks...I don't care for the blueish tips ( what ever that is called)...I am not a fan of that look. I like the Tanabe and will still try the mids out just wonder if there is a pro or con to the pipe diameter getting smaller towards the end. I guess I could ask 2 experts and get 2 different answers. I guess want would be nice is to see a DYNO with the mids on my Tanabe compared to the full Megan set up to see if and where there are any variances. I cant imagine its a huge deal and I am not expecting to much in gains from them. Should free up the car as I am OEM mid pipes now and give it some sound that its lacking. I may not care for the extra sound? Like sincityIS mentioned I am not looking to have the loudest exhaust out there and don't need that kind of attn where I live. I get the looks as it is because of the tinted windows

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated
Old 05-26-08, 01:45 PM
SebsIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by passnu2
Thanks...I don't care for the blueish tips ( what ever that is called)...I am not a fan of that look. I like the Tanabe and will still try the mids out just wonder if there is a pro or con to the pipe diameter getting smaller towards the end. I guess I could ask 2 experts and get 2 different answers. I guess want would be nice is to see a DYNO with the mids on my Tanabe compared to the full Megan set up to see if and where there are any variances. I cant imagine its a huge deal and I am not expecting to much in gains from them. Should free up the car as I am OEM mid pipes now and give it some sound that its lacking. I may not care for the extra sound? Like sincityIS mentioned I am not looking to have the loudest exhaust out there and don't need that kind of attn where I live. I get the looks as it is because of the tinted windows

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated
haha I gotcha. I'm the same. I don't want to have to much noise. I came from a modded Subaru WRX with full Catless 3 inch turbo back exhaust.. Man was that thing loud lol. I am going to safely assume it SHOULD add HP just because it eliminates the secondary cats. Correct me if I'm wrong but even James (CaymanDive) stated that he gained some low end torque and some hp from deleting the cats.
Old 05-26-08, 01:50 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

haha I gotcha. I'm the same. I don't want to have to much noise. I came from a modded Subaru WRX with full Catless 3 inch turbo back exhaust.. Man was that thing loud lol. I am going to safely assume it SHOULD add HP just because it eliminates the secondary cats. Correct me if I'm wrong but even James (CaymanDive) stated that he gained some low end torque and some hp from deleting the cats.
I agree and yes I feel I should get something out of them. Just not expecting HUGE gains from this. Its not like the Turbo car you or I came from adding that 3" exhaust and other things....I had this done to a Eclipse GSX several years back and there was no end to the HP gains I got out of that car. Was a lot of fun for sure but I donut want that sound! Not with this car anyway.

I would like to put the S/C on the car and play around with it. But LMS is no longer and Toms kit is outrageously expensive for the small gains IMO. So I am back to the basic performance mods to get a little something for now.
Old 05-26-08, 02:31 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Here is my dyno comparison. Didn't gain squat in the upper rpms or peak power, but low to mid I gained decent power.

Old 05-26-08, 03:17 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are pretty decent gains.
Old 05-26-08, 03:43 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

This is interesting...

I have the OEM so I went to measure and its also 2 3/8 where it connects to the large resonator. Its the same size till they join and go to each muffler. I can not measure that area but it looks like its 2" if not less and bent in a few areas. I really wonder if any of the aftermarket exhaust are truly larger and consistent in diameter now!

Mike

Quick Reply: Megan Mid Pipe questions.....