Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Does the Computer Keep A Record When You Add A Midpipe???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-08, 05:05 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does the Computer Keep A Record When You Add A Midpipe???

I just bought my IS350 and would like more power. It looks like the mid-pipe is way to add noticable power along with the usual exhaust, intake etc. From what I've read about headers, it's not finalized yet and does not add much power for a $800 part.

Does anybody know if the computers in these cars store any data when you add a midpipe since you will override the cats? Like emission information. I know on some cars, the computer will record your rpm redline behavior and other major changes to engine characteristics. I just don't want the stealership to give me the runaround and ultimately void my warranty altogether if their computer shows that my car had no cats. Anybody know?
Old 05-27-08, 12:01 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

The stock mid-pipe doesn't have any sensors after the secondary cats, only after the primary cats. There would be no way for the computer to "know" that the mid-pipe has been changed. However, no exhaust is going to make a noticeable change in power, only sound. Headers should have a much more noticeagble improvement in power for the money. If I could do it over again, I would go back to the stock mid-pipe, and install the headers. You really don't want to remove ALL catalytic converters or your car will always be covered in black soot.
Old 05-27-08, 12:18 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=356895

you can refer to this thread and towards page 3 or 4 Caymandive posted a Dyno run minus his second cats. You can see the improvement, not that its major buts its something. You would benefit more from weight reduction and sound if you are looking for that. The megan mid pipes do have a resonator from the pics so its not just a straight pipe so I can imagine the sound is too crazy. Check out the thread....a few of us are going to try it out.

Mike
Old 05-27-08, 04:33 PM
S to the K
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gernby
The stock mid-pipe doesn't have any sensors after the secondary cats, only after the primary cats. There would be no way for the computer to "know" that the mid-pipe has been changed. However, no exhaust is going to make a noticeable change in power, only sound. Headers should have a much more noticeagble improvement in power for the money. If I could do it over again, I would go back to the stock mid-pipe, and install the headers. You really don't want to remove ALL catalytic converters or your car will always be covered in black soot.
Originally Posted by passnu2

you can refer to this thread and towards page 3 or 4 Caymandive posted a Dyno run minus his second cats. You can see the improvement, not that its major buts its something. You would benefit more from weight reduction and sound if you are looking for that. The megan mid pipes do have a resonator from the pics so its not just a straight pipe so I can imagine the sound is too crazy. Check out the thread....a few of us are going to try it out.

Mike
Thanks for the heads up. Good info. So I guess there's not much for strictly performance upgrades. I'm not into sound too much, just performance. I guess I don't have many options. Thanks
Old 05-27-08, 05:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ yea its not going to be crazy. Something is better then nothing....IMO anyway. I guess I am done with the cosmetics of my car so I need to figure out this performance stuff. Reading all these threads for months now and I figured it was better to go with the S/C but LMS pulled the plug. TOMS is crazy for that price for the minimal gains. Not that the LMS was any better but it was half the cost. I had considered taking it to a place called Hahn Race Craft in IL. They built the turbo system for the Dodge Neon SRT but where know for the Elcipse/Tallon and making them crazy fast. His work was great and I was down the street from them back then. I just cant justify the $$ to have Bill make me something custom....at that point better to do an engine swap and get insane...haha.

I say its worth a try! You can always sell it on here to another member or on Ebay and get your $$ back!