Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Removal of secondary cats

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-08, 12:16 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by radicalrev

so if we replace the piping with the megan mid pipes, is it still illegal?
Technically you could say yes But you still have a cat on your car. Does a car really need 2 cats High flow or not!

Besides what is legal these days
Old 05-27-08, 01:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,972 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Okay so has anyone removed the 2nd cat with what ever mid pipe you are using and replaced the front with a "HIGH" flow cat?

And why would our car not pass emissions with the front cats still in place?? I am sure we are fine we just might no be ULEV but still be with in guides right? If we have one cat on the car if your state does spot checks, feel bad for these peeps, then you are with in state guides right?
No. California aggressively enforces emissions laws in ways no other state does. I wasn't kidding when I said it was one of the reasons I left. In California, the smog inspection isn't just performance based. There is a visual inspection to determine if all the original emissions controls are in place before they attempt the performance test. So, no, one set of cats isn't good enough. Add to this - removing a working catalytic converter from a vehicle is a FEDERAL violation, not just state. So, the shop removing the cats - regardless of replacing them with high flow cats or not - is violating Federal law if they remove a working catalytic converter. Every state's enforcement is different, but it is illegal in all 50 states.

Originally Posted by radicalrev
im not familiar with the state law...i guess no one has ever replace the cats with another high/higher flow cats as ours are already considered like a high flow cats...

so if we replace the piping with the megan mid pipes, is it still illegal?
See discussion above. California has further tightened down on aftermarket catalytic converters, and now requires the cat's manufacturer to certify using a particular model on a particular vehicle. IOW, they've determined the aftermarket cats don't perform as well for as long as the OEM units do, so they're disallowing replacement cats from the aftermarket. Thank you CARB!

I'm SOOOOOO glad I left!!!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-27-08 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 01:40 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If removing the stock secondaries only adds a couple ponies, then I doubt a "Hi Flow" cat would do much of anything. I wouldn't even consider it unless I was using forced induction, or something that would need much more flow.
Old 05-27-08, 01:51 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ yea the only reaosn i will get hi flow cats.. its bc my secondaries are long gone and if i get the headers i dont want to be driving around with no cats.. so im going to use some hi-flow spun cats fby magnaflow that are a great price
Old 05-27-08, 02:13 PM
350nub
Pole Position

so would replacing with aftermarket high flow cats gives more sound or at least similar sound as to removing the secondary cats? or just same like stock?
Old 05-27-08, 02:25 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

^^ not going to notice much if anything at all..
Old 05-28-08, 04:30 PM
IEMaestro
Pit Crew

So I have decide against removing the secondary cats. What about removing the resonator? Will it give me an increase in sound? If so, how much? Will it give any horsepower gains? Also, will it void my warranty?
Old 05-28-08, 04:58 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sound increase, warranty still will void...hp increase? not too sure...