Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How did your intake and exhaust help you 1/4 mile times

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 11:14 AM
brodie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did your intake and exhaust help you 1/4 mile times

This week I just Installed a F-Sport Intake and a F-Sport exhaust in my IS350. I have noticed that it seems to rev quicker and it seems to shift a little harder.These observations could be psycho-acoustically Induced. It has gone from whisper quiet to somewhat loud. The F-Sport exhaust has a very aggressive tone. It reminds me of a baritone G37 on steroids. My guesstimate is that these parts should add between 12-15 horsepower. Can any body tell me what this would be worth at the dragstrip? Also in your experiences how did the addition of a intake and exhaust help your 1/4 mile times? My car has gone as quick as 13.36 at 105 stock with a quarter tank of gas and the spare still in it. I am also thinking of adding a Megan midpipe and some drag radials. I have looked at headers but they are to much work for my skill-set. My goal is to get into the twelve's.Thanks.
Old 05-25-08, 12:19 PM
350forMe
Rookie

Originally Posted by brodie
This week I just Installed a F-Sport Intake and a F-Sport exhaust in my IS350. I have noticed that it seems to rev quicker and it seems to shift a little harder.These observations could be psycho-acoustically Induced. It has gone from whisper quiet to somewhat loud. The F-Sport exhaust has a very aggressive tone. It reminds me of a baritone G37 on steroids. My guesstimate is that these parts should add between 12-15 horsepower. Can any body tell me what this would be worth at the dragstrip? Also in your experiences how did the addition of a intake and exhaust help your 1/4 mile times? My car has gone as quick as 13.36 at 105 stock with a quarter tank of gas and the spare still in it. I am also thinking of adding a Megan midpipe and some drag radials. I have looked at headers but they are to much work for my skill-set. My goal is to get into the twelve's.Thanks.
sweet! i thought it was only me feeling the extra power. i only have the f-sport intake and i feel a pretty noticeable difference in power, especially in the revs. I dont have the f-sport exhaust yet, im still debating between that and the mazzuri headers. I wouldnt doubt you get impressive gains with both f-sport products working together. But my car may have to wait for the exhaust if those mazzuri headers shows some impressive gains , which all signs point to yes!

sorry i cant answer the rest of your questions....
Old 05-25-08, 02:29 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,988 Likes on 2,413 Posts

^^"Feeling" power doesn't mean anything. Measuring power - time slips, autocross results, lap times - actually mean something. Your butt can't tell much at all.
Old 05-25-08, 05:08 PM
350forMe
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
^^"Feeling" power doesn't mean anything. Measuring power - time slips, autocross results, lap times - actually mean something. Your butt can't tell much at all.
i feel the car a little stronger and thats all that matters to me :-)
Old 05-25-08, 08:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 350forMe
i feel the car a little stronger and thats all that matters to me :-)
If thats the case, you may want to run your car without mufflers. The loud sound will make you think you're going faster than you really are
Old 05-26-08, 12:52 AM
350forMe
Rookie

Originally Posted by GSteg
If thats the case, you may want to run your car without mufflers. The loud sound will make you think you're going faster than you really are

feeling the car performing faster has nothing to do with the sound (all i said was after the intake i feel the car perform stronger, i never said anything about the louder the car the faster i feel it).....assuming and leading to conclusions is not very wise my friends.... stay on topic :-) i wont be doing any dynos just for an intake or exhaust, i will do it after i get the mazzuri headers, and even then its not like i can go FI and do some real testing and pull out all these crazy numbers and facts.
Old 05-26-08, 01:17 AM
blake0387
Driver

I don't mean to be a pessimist but I'm doubting that the F-sport exhaust gives any gains at all. You would probably need something more than an axle-back to see any real gains. I wouldn't hold out much hope for the intake giving any real gains either. A K&N drop in filter would probably have a similar effect.

The bottom line is that the F-sport engine mods are mostly cosmetic. I'm not putting down anyone who shelled out the cash for them. In the end it's whether or not YOU are happy with the mod that is important.
Old 05-26-08, 08:19 AM
brodie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blake0387
I don't mean to be a pessimist but I'm doubting that the F-sport exhaust gives any gains at all. You would probably need something more than an axle-back to see any real gains. I wouldn't hold out much hope for the intake giving any real gains either. A K&N drop in filter would probably have a similar effect.

The bottom line is that the F-sport engine mods are mostly cosmetic. I'm not putting down anyone who shelled out the cash for them. In the end it's whether or not YOU are happy with the mod that is important.
The F-Sport exhaust and Intake are both designed to give a small performance increase. My IS revs quicker. Now in full auto when it shifts from first to second I see the red ring on the inside of the tachometer light up. {It does not hit the limiter.** This would indicate that it is making power just a little higher in the rpm range. It also breaks traction easier than before. In the last week I have also noticed a increase in mpg it has gone from 18.5 to 20.3. This has to show some increase in engine efficiency and along with efficiency will come horsepower. As soon as I can I will take my car back to the Atco Dragway and see how it does. I fully realize that unless I run on a 55 degree clear night it is not going to be a fair comparison and it’s getting a little late in the spring for that. So this takes me back to my original question. Can any body tell me what this would be worth at the dragstrip? Also in your experiences how did the addition of a intake and exhaust help your 1/4 mile times?

350forme I am glad to hear that you are also feeling a difference.
Old 05-26-08, 09:41 AM
350forMe
Rookie

Originally Posted by brodie
The F-Sport exhaust and Intake are both designed to give a small performance increase. My IS revs quicker. Now in full auto when it shifts from first to second I see the red ring on the inside of the tachometer light up. {It does not hit the limiter.** This would indicate that it is making power just a little higher in the rpm range. It also breaks traction easier than before. In the last week I have also noticed a increase in mpg it has gone from 18.5 to 20.3. This has to show some increase in engine efficiency and along with efficiency will come horsepower. As soon as I can I will take my car back to the Atco Dragway and see how it does. I fully realize that unless I run on a 55 degree clear night it is not going to be a fair comparison and it’s getting a little late in the spring for that. So this takes me back to my original question. Can any body tell me what this would be worth at the dragstrip? Also in your experiences how did the addition of a intake and exhaust help your 1/4 mile times?

350forme I am glad to hear that you are also feeling a difference.
Yeah there definitely is a difference in performance. Sure its not like we are getting FI numbers here for an intake hahaha but the car does perform stronger, as is the case with everyone who has purchased this product. I dont think a highly respectable company would put out performance products for their vehicles that dont show any form of performance hahaha if that was the case why did any of us purchase a lexus to begin with if we already didn't respect and admire the companies beautiful engineering. :-) my two cents...

im still waiting on how those mazzuri headers perform, those are going to be awesome!
Old 05-26-08, 11:20 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 350forMe

feeling the car performing faster has nothing to do with the sound (all i said was after the intake i feel the car perform stronger, i never said anything about the louder the car the faster i feel it).....assuming and leading to conclusions is not very wise my friends.... stay on topic :-) i wont be doing any dynos just for an intake or exhaust, i will do it after i get the mazzuri headers, and even then its not like i can go FI and do some real testing and pull out all these crazy numbers and facts.

Yes sound DOES have a play in how quick you may think your car is. These is no assuming and leading to conclusions at all. SOUND DOES MAKE A DIFFERNCE IN HOW ONE PERCEIVES PERFORMANCE. I never said your car feels quicker because of sound. I said you could probably take off your mufflers to induce more noise. It's all psychological. I don't doubt that the F-sport intake can help you increase power, but to what measures? You could be gaining power at a certain revs and lose power everywhere else.
Old 05-27-08, 03:36 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

to know the real gain you're gonna have to dyno your car before and after the mods. I think when you "feel" or "seem" faster is more of a mental thing. Who wants their car to feel slower after spending 1k+ on parts?
Old 05-28-08, 09:54 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blake0387
I don't mean to be a pessimist but I'm doubting that the F-sport exhaust gives any gains at all. You would probably need something more than an axle-back to see any real gains.
Hard to tell without a dyno of course, but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that. With the IS300, people had found a 9 wheel hp gain with the HKS HIPER exhaust alone (axle-back). It all depends on where the restrictions and bottlenecks are designed in. I have a feeling the 2GS has similar restrictions, because many of the exhausts for that car are axle-back as well. Didn't dyno my GS4, but after the HKS Hiper the car revved quicker, got better mileage, and subjectively "felt" quicker.

Some companies take a shot-gun approach to tuning. I would say Greddy tends to be like this with exhausts because they make a cat-back for pretty much every application. Coincidentally, there is barely a power increase on the Greddy Evo for the IS300 from what I remember because one of the angles of the piping was too sharp.
Old 05-28-08, 09:56 AM
blake0387
Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
I don't doubt that the F-sport intake can help you increase power, but to what measures? You could be gaining power at a certain revs and lose power everywhere else.
Just as GSteg said, it's all about the area under the curve. The big problem with these mods is that any performance increase is hard to see on a dyno because they typically net <10 whp, which is usually within the variance range from one dyno pull to another.

Originally Posted by Faraaz23
It all depends on where the restrictions and bottlenecks are designed in...
I agree with you there. I may have been a little hasty in saying an axle-back will net zero gains. It just seems to me that there are bigger badder monsters further upstream in terms of exhaust restrictions.

Last edited by blake0387; 05-28-08 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-28-08, 10:30 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The minimal gains that might be generated by these mods would not be as significant as the variance in performance due to daily climate change. For you guys that claim to be able to tell a difference in performance, how can you assume the change isn't because the Density Altitude just dropped 2000 feet?
Old 05-29-08, 08:12 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

It certainly could lead to a slight performance increase putting these parts on- by making your wallet (and thereby the contents of the car) lighter :P

Beyond that, if you claim you can feel what would be, at MOST, a 2-3% increase in power, I've got some nice beach front property in Montana you might be interested in too

Quick Reply: How did your intake and exhaust help you 1/4 mile times