Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

New K&N cold air intake too loud..any suggestions to make quieter??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-08, 12:43 PM
tresvatos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Box Gs430 and Gs400

The Cold Air Intake was ordered for a GS430 and NO I did not have to make any mods. The Air Intake was a bit loud for a lux. car, but when I added the box it made the subdued the loudness alot. I am currently going to insulate the box to try to sillence the intake some more. I have plans to put a hose and funnel from the 3 1/2" hole leading to the underbody or behing lower air dam of my GS430. Not sure if it will work but I am hopeful.

Thnx for your comments!
Old 05-30-08, 02:48 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tresvatos
The Cold Air Intake was ordered for a GS430 and NO I did not have to make any mods. The Air Intake was a bit loud for a lux. car, but when I added the box it made the subdued the loudness alot. I am currently going to insulate the box to try to sillence the intake some more. I have plans to put a hose and funnel from the 3 1/2" hole leading to the underbody or behing lower air dam of my GS430. Not sure if it will work but I am hopeful.

Thnx for your comments!
Hey, thanks for the response. Do you have a part number by any chance? or where did you order this from? Everytime I Google, I can only find the Injen Intake for the GS430. I guess it's the same as a K&N FIPK, but for some reason, I just can't find a K&N FIPK made for the GS430 (I can find the GS400 one). i can't find it on the K&N website either.

I was planning on trying to do an air box and use like large washer/dryer exhaust tubing to run down to get cool outside air.
Old 05-30-08, 02:56 PM
tresvatos
Driver

Default Cold Air Box Gs430 and Gs400

I think a 3 1/2 " rain gutter made from Aluminum would be much more durable than the dryer hose.

Do you have any ideas on where to have the hose run in front of the car?
I t would be ard to get the hose to the front air dam because the space in front fender well is seperated from the front air dam.

I had thought about running the alum. gutter down and putting a scoop behing the front right tow hook under the car. Do you have any ideas???

As far as the K&N tube/ filter I got if from Ebay almost six months ago. I will check the part#, but everything bolts right up, just a little loud for a lux. car.

I plan on doing more air box/ intake mods. and will keep everyone posted with my progress.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-08, 07:03 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tresvatos
I think a 3 1/2 " rain gutter made from Aluminum would be much more durable than the dryer hose.

Do you have any ideas on where to have the hose run in front of the car?
I t would be ard to get the hose to the front air dam because the space in front fender well is seperated from the front air dam.

I had thought about running the alum. gutter down and putting a scoop behing the front right tow hook under the car. Do you have any ideas???

As far as the K&N tube/ filter I got if from Ebay almost six months ago. I will check the part#, but everything bolts right up, just a little loud for a lux. car.

I plan on doing more air box/ intake mods. and will keep everyone posted with my progress.

Thanks!
Hey, a part number would ge GREAT if it has one. Does it have a CARB sticker?

Anyways, I know a fellow member did an air box and ran his filter down to the lower air dam. The aluminum gutter might be more durable, but I can't imagine that this is something that is going to require it to be real durable. You could buy additional cold air intake pipes and joint them together. I've seen a few places on the web sell extensions to these intakes.

Here's his box.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=301978

and here is the location of his filter.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=354024
Old 05-31-08, 11:44 AM
FinLIFE
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

If its too loud your too old . From the picture you posted it looks like a generic polished intake pipe with a "do not discard k&n" sticker. They never made an intake for the 430 and when you mentioned you bought it from ebay then I assumed you got one of those "k&n style intakes" for the 430.

I believe this is what he purchased

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...spagenameZWDVW
Old 05-31-08, 05:21 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_CS
If its too loud your too old . From the picture you posted it looks like a generic polished intake pipe with a "do not discard k&n" sticker. They never made an intake for the 430 and when you mentioned you bought it from ebay then I assumed you got one of those "k&n style intakes" for the 430.

I believe this is what he purchased

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...spagenameZWDVW
Old 06-01-08, 05:15 PM
TheKoosh
Driver

just ordered an SRI just like this one from procarparts (the same guys who were selling that one on ebay). looks like an injen knockoff since the tubing is also mandrel bent and similarly shaped, though i might dump the K&N and pop on my old AEM drytech filter instead.