Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing internals on (non-FI) GS400/430...has any1 done it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 05:42 PM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know this is an old topic but these #'s seem a tad off ! and dont go counting my post on this one cause i was a big chevy v-8 guy for along time ! but lets say 1,3 uzfe motors do 300hp to the crank just ! so roughly by going 1.5 point up on compression and light head porting should easy add 8-12 hp per cylinder without changing the cams which if you wanted cams kelford cams makes them for $1250 for the set of 4 ! $8000 IS A LIL STEEP ! AND 40+ HOURS OF LABOR ?
Old 11-26-08, 09:15 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Ya know, if you swapped in a 2UZ block. It's cast iron which makes it easy to bore and has 4.7L displacement to boot!
Old 11-26-08, 09:21 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

im still in favor of this........

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=378654
Old 11-27-08, 01:55 PM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

Smile longblocks

not to knock any shop ! but i have couple of friends out here in vegas that are well known in the supra circle and that build motors for a living that'll build a 1,2,3uzfe longblock for a fraction of that $$$$ ! have any of those longblocks @ MVP been on a dyno ? ifso id look to know what kinda numbers theyre laying down ?
Old 11-27-08, 03:57 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGAS DRE
if you wanted cams kelford cams makes them for $1250 for the set of 4
These are for non VVT heads, useless to 2gen GS.

Otherwise we would also have S/C's and a whole bunch of stuff that is available overseas for the first gen 1uz.
Old 11-30-08, 07:01 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah--VVT-i heads are "the wall" for us.

So if I went to a shop with Rock-a-Lex's setup and said, "man, I need 50-75 more whp", what would be the best bang-for-your-buck way to get this done?

Head port/polish? Compression increase? Cams? Etc?

Rock-a-Lex: I assume your motivation to stop at ~360whp is the same as mine: cost of the additional upgrades and avoiding worry about the tranny internals?
Old 12-01-08, 10:07 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

not to knock any shop ! but i have couple of friends out here in vegas that are well known in the supra circle and that build motors for a living that'll build a 1,2,3uzfe longblock for a fraction of that $$$$ ! have any of those longblocks @ MVP been on a dyno ? ifso id look to know what kinda numbers theyre laying down ?
they tell u the numbers.....n no offense but i trust the community on here for the most part. i dont know your friends and i know MVP is a certified vendor so i would be more inclined to pay more for a person i know i can trust. remember you get what you pay for and my motor isnt the place i would wanna cheap out on....
Old 12-01-08, 03:54 PM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

i agree on not cutting corners when it comes to building an engine. its always who you know when you need the right parts. there's a big difference from paying $4500 in parts to paying $2500 for the exact parts. without cutting corners! i just wouldnt spend $11k-$14k on motor that a shop is selling that hasnt been proven yet. and im NOT trying to knock any shop on this topic.
Old 12-01-08, 04:11 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i agree on not cutting corners when it comes to building an engine. its always who you know when you need the right parts. there's a big difference from paying $4500 in parts to paying $2500 for the exact parts. without cutting corners! i just wouldnt spend $11k-$14k on motor that a shop is selling that hasnt been proven yet. and im NOT trying to knock any shop on this topic.
everyone can know someone man, all the posts you put up on topics like this just trash good solid figures based upon the fact that you 'know somone' who could do it cheaper. Not only is this dude from the other side of the country, there are some members chiming in who have gone this type of route already and know what it takes to do it and do it right. I mean congrats if you know enough people to build your car to the wall but not everyone does, so you just have to kind of go by normal numbers for the sake of the OP.

it's been said many times on this board; doing ANYTHING to make this car go fast WILL NOT be cheap. if you want it to be fast and reliable, it aint gonna be cheap. If you want it to be fast and cheap, it aint gonna be reliable. and if you want it cheap and reliable, it aint gonna be fast.

I'm not sure 16k is what kind of number you'd get from every shop you go to (nor do i see that worth it). I would personally just spend the 8k for a complete supercharger kit considering it would have a bit more potential and would probably be easier on the wallet as far as labor and supporting mods. Not to mention, the S/C just looks bad *** under there.
Old 12-02-08, 02:41 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
I would personally just spend the 8k for a complete supercharger kit considering it would have a bit more potential and would probably be easier on the wallet as far as labor and supporting mods. Not to mention, the S/C just looks bad *** under there.
Agreed.
Old 12-02-08, 09:37 AM
VEGAS DRE
Driver

i understand not being cheap. but too RAPE someone on building a motor cause its a toyota/lexus. just like honda parts ! a honda stroker kit which is only 4 cylinders is something like $2400 retail and a chevy stroker kit same brand retails for like $1800. just cause you own a lexus that does mean that you have to pay 40 hours of labor to biuld a longblock! cause it doesnt take 40 hrs ! i have had about 10-12 motors custom build ranging from vw's,honda's to chevy's and neither of them have taking 40 hours of labor to biuld unless your counting every shophand's lunch break in on that labor cost . when i say friends i mean friends Not people ive heard of or met a couple of times. and ive OWNED shops dealing in car audio and car accessories = motors,tannys,parts and complete cars for the past 15 years! before you want to comment about someone personally make sure you READ the TOPIC first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and make sure you know what your talking about cause ive been down the buying,selling and building engines before.. not something ive read about in a magazine or on the internet. and man if your gs is the fastest/quickest car u've owned oh wow !do you remember the topic to this post ? show me some good solid figures on a built 1,2,3uzfe motors in a gs400,430 ! not speculations !
Old 12-02-08, 10:56 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

i hate to get in between you'lls fight but i was just saying......i know i can trust them as they a forum vendor. i could order,pay for, and have the motor shipped to me without any hassles probably and service/warranty shouldnt be a issue as they a certified vendor. your friends i dunno what im getting,how im getting it, or what kinda warranty/service i would have from them and for me being across the country the piece of mind on something that expensive and valuable (not money wise but important to be driveable) would be worth the extra $$$. n i agree ANYTHING to make this car fast is expensive. also part of the reason the civic/chevy stroker kits fluctuate in price is the demand/market for them....u might have 5-8 companies making them for either of them but finding parts like that for the v8 lexus isnt cheap cause so few people make them. MAYBE just MAYBE 1-3 people make stroker kits for my v8 lexus

wow 8k for a complete supercharger kit? OUCH......jet has a kit for like 3k without intercooler....so buy the jet kit for 3k n a intercooler and piping for like 1k and some form of engine management or piggyback for like 1-1.5k and im still saving atleast 2.5k
Old 12-02-08, 11:16 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i understand not being cheap. but too RAPE someone on building a motor cause its a toyota/lexus. just like honda parts ! a honda stroker kit which is only 4 cylinders is something like $2400 retail and a chevy stroker kit same brand retails for like $1800. just cause you own a lexus that does mean that you have to pay 40 hours of labor to biuld a longblock! cause it doesnt take 40 hrs ! i have had about 10-12 motors custom build ranging from vw's,honda's to chevy's and neither of them have taking 40 hours of labor to biuld unless your counting every shophand's lunch break in on that labor cost . when i say friends i mean friends Not people ive heard of or met a couple of times. and ive OWNED shops dealing in car audio and car accessories = motors,tannys,parts and complete cars for the past 15 years! before you want to comment about someone personally make sure you READ the TOPIC first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and make sure you know what your talking about cause ive been down the buying,selling and building engines before.. not something ive read about in a magazine or on the internet. and man if your gs is the fastest/quickest car u've owned oh wow !do you remember the topic to this post ? show me some good solid figures on a built 1,2,3uzfe motors in a gs400,430 ! not speculations !
nah man i think you might have misunderstood me, i wasn't trying to attack you or what you said specifically, i was just saying out east most shops go by the labor rate listed in their manuals. Obviously they know they can do the job faster but theyre just trying to make money. and i dont think i ever said anything about my gs being the fastest car ive owned...that confusted me a little but whatever. There are plenty of specs on built UZ's, just look at lextreme's website. Christ he's got 4 different cars, some N/A, some SC some TT, and he has no problem providing numbers for any of them. If i remember correctly he's running a 1gen LS with a 4.7l stroker putting out over 500rwhp. As far as reading topics and knowing what you're talking about, i would have thought you had caught that in the OP's post toward the beginning where he was looking into Lextreme's stuff...
Old 12-02-08, 12:13 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

OK--redirect...

What could/should be done in a machine shop that would yield "XX" horsepower? Example:

Head port/polish: $400 and 30-40whp
Head port/polish and blah blah blah: $1200 and 80-100whp

(I have no idea, that's why I'm asking everyone here. We need suggestions!)
Old 12-02-08, 02:26 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
OK--redirect...

What could/should be done in a machine shop that would yield "XX" horsepower? Example:

Head port/polish: $400 and 30-40whp
Head port/polish and blah blah blah: $1200 and 80-100whp

(I have no idea, that's why I'm asking everyone here. We need suggestions!)
...I understand what you are trying to convey. You merely want to know how much money and for what service (engine) will yield "X" HP and Torque. This is a good question!

Many bolt-on items everyone already knows about including superchargers and turbo chargers but not too many speak about or deal with engine internals. I too would be interested in modifying (the engine) what I already have; not spend MEGA buck on a brand new built longblock. If I had a ton of $$$ coming out my ears I would definitely go this route though. lol.

Quick Reply: Changing internals on (non-FI) GS400/430...has any1 done it?