Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Changing internals on (non-FI) GS400/430...has any1 done it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 07:09 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Changing internals on (non-FI) GS400/430...has any1 done it?

Checking out Lextreme's website I was wondering if anyone here has done or knows someone who has done major engine work (internals) such as bore, stroke, port etc etc to a non-FI GS400/430. It will be super reliable power. With the addition of new headers (ordering soon) and a re-tune of my NEO I will be damn near close to 300whp (maybe around 295 or so) and that is with the virgin 1UZ engine! Now, with a stroker kit and other mods to the internals (professionally done) I think the car would have no problem hitting 350 - 360whp. This would be awesome because it will be a nice increase in torque as well since your increasing the displacement of the engine. How much would you pay for something like this? Or would you not and why? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 06-03-08, 11:42 AM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed that Lextreme sold internals. I havent heard anyone doing any internal work but would be very interested to see how it would work out.
Old 06-03-08, 11:52 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Checking out Lextreme's website I was wondering if anyone here has done or knows someone who has done major engine work (internals) such as bore, stroke, port etc etc to a non-FI GS400/430. It will be super reliable power. With the addition of new headers (ordering soon) and a re-tune of my NEO I will be damn near close to 300whp (maybe around 295 or so) and that is with the virgin 1UZ engine! Now, with a stroker kit and other mods to the internals (professionally done) I think the car would have no problem hitting 350 - 360whp. This would be awesome because it will be a nice increase in torque as well since your increasing the displacement of the engine. How much would you pay for something like this? Or would you not and why? Thanks for the feedback.
It's not cheap to do it right by any means, and you definitely get what you pay for. Overall and being very general, high quality will equal high cost, and low cost will equal ramshackle quality. It's all up to you as to what it's worth.

Eric
Old 06-03-08, 01:07 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think GS4x0 dynoes at 250whp. so youre saying you'll have 50hp gain from basic bolt ons and a A/F correction and 100hp gain from internals?
Old 06-03-08, 01:29 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
i think GS4x0 dynoes at 250whp. so youre saying you'll have 50hp gain from basic bolt ons and a A/F correction and 100hp gain from internals?
Stock GS4XX's normally dyno between 240 - 245whp...

I have dyno'd 270whp and 295wtq with JUST a K&N FIPK intake, Borla rear section exhaust, TM spark plugs and tuning my Apexi NEO...YES!!! Other mods but not helping with the dyno are my 3.76 LSD and the PI TC. Now, MANY if not ALL members that have bought and dyno'd the S&S headers see claims of 17whp...so 270 + 17 = 287 + the re-tune on the Neo (who knows might make another 5-7whp. It yields (tunes) better performance with more mods added. So, yeah...I think 295whp is do-able; from my logic. Oh, yeah and BTW I just found out that I have a real bad crack in my Y pipe and it looks like it's been there for about a year (based on the severity). This was told to me by 3 different independent shops. I had my car dyno'd about 6 mos. ago so there might have been some power loss also if this crack existed then.
Old 06-03-08, 01:33 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by c0wboy
It's not cheap to do it right by any means, and you definitely get what you pay for. Overall and being very general, high quality will equal high cost, and low cost will equal ramshackle quality. It's all up to you as to what it's worth.

Eric
Well when the funds come to me down the road instead of spending $8K on a supercharger kit with tuning I'll through that and maybe a little less at something like this that many (here) haven't ventured yet. That will be a TRUE sleeper. Pop my hood and you won't see anything! lol...no FI sound either...it would be cool!
Old 06-03-08, 01:49 PM
c0wboy
Banned

It takes more than 8K to build these motors properly (unfortunately). Typical machine shop costs are over half that 8K, then you have to factor in fuel, cams, internals, etc. The price rises fast. Expect to be looking at double that 8K figure for a proper high CR, high HP NA job.

Eric
Old 06-04-08, 05:26 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by c0wboy
It takes more than 8K to build these motors properly (unfortunately). Typical machine shop costs are over half that 8K, then you have to factor in fuel, cams, internals, etc. The price rises fast. Expect to be looking at double that 8K figure for a proper high CR, high HP NA job.

Eric
Thanks. Wow, that's an eye opener! Now you say roughly $16K for "high CR, high HP"...what is the meaning of high here? 500whp? If so, I was thinking if I could keep it at 350-370whp wouldn't the costs be that much less or not necessarily?

Thanks again,
Nick
Old 06-04-08, 09:09 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Thanks. Wow, that's an eye opener! Now you say roughly $16K for "high CR, high HP"...what is the meaning of high here? 500whp? If so, I was thinking if I could keep it at 350-370whp wouldn't the costs be that much less or not necessarily?

Thanks again,
Nick
That's about right, figure in the machine shop costs, fuel, internals, studs, bearings, cams, etc. and the costs rise quickly. The HP really doesn't paly that large of a part in the price tag since the HP rely's mostly on how the NA motor is set up ie. cam profiles, CR, etc. The components are the same, but they may not be as aggreissive. The important thing is to build it once and build it right. All too often when something like this is approached with a shoestring budget, rebuilds are frequent. I watch HP TV every Sunday, and it makes me chuckle every time they build a motor. Those guys make it look so easy, and they make it appear like it's all a matter of banging pistons into the bore. There's SOOOoooo much more to it.

Thanks again!

Eric

Last edited by c0wboy; 06-04-08 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-05-08, 05:18 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Yes, you are correct. But this thing about Horsepower TV is that most of their builds are chevys and fords which are all cast iorn blocks, and some late model engines like the LSx or modular. It is a heck of a lot easier to bore a 302 or a 350, and it can be done for less than 200 bucks, unlike our engine which need to be bored over, and resleeved. The cost of the block work, head work, internals, and the supporting mods will all be a large part of your budget. Plus who sells cams for the 3uz, besides TTC... Who can afford $1,800 for jsut cams in the first place? You can just pick up the a hotrodding magazine and order just any part for a Toyota engine, but you can a Ford, chevy or dodge... It's unfair... Just kidding, that's why i believe in making the 3uz to LS2 switch. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-05-08, 05:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Horsepower TV has to make it look easy, otherwise tv viewers would lose a lot of interest.
Old 06-05-08, 05:54 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Originally Posted by 3UZFTE
Yes, you are correct. But this thing about Horsepower TV is that most of their builds are chevys and fords which are all cast iorn blocks, and some late model engines like the LSx or modular. It is a heck of a lot easier to bore a 302 or a 350, and it can be done for less than 200 bucks, unlike our engine which need to be bored over, and resleeved. The cost of the block work, head work, internals, and the supporting mods will all be a large part of your budget. Plus who sells cams for the 3uz, besides TTC... Who can afford $1,800 for jsut cams in the first place? You can just pick up the a hotrodding magazine and order just any part for a Toyota engine, but you can a Ford, chevy or dodge... It's unfair... Just kidding, that's why i believe in making the 3uz to LS2 switch. Just my 2 cents.
Yeah, the cams are hard to swallow, but that's one of the few downsides of the 1/3uzfe VVt-I.

Eric
Old 06-05-08, 06:42 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checking the manual, it will take 43-44 hours (mechanic charge time) to rebuild the 1UZ. If you're mechanic charges 50/hr then you can do the math. That doesn't even cover the R&R of the motor.

The other things that haven't been considered are the small parts. gaskets (valve stem seals, oil pan gasket, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, upper and lower manifold gaskets etc) water pump, maybe a new starter since everything is off. Man there is so much more.

Cams hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Where can I get cams
Old 06-22-08, 09:10 PM
lexi4darin
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HI98GS
Checking the manual, it will take 43-44 hours (mechanic charge time) to rebuild the 1UZ. If you're mechanic charges 50/hr then you can do the math. That doesn't even cover the R&R of the motor.

The other things that haven't been considered are the small parts. gaskets (valve stem seals, oil pan gasket, head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, upper and lower manifold gaskets etc) water pump, maybe a new starter since everything is off. Man there is so much more.

Cams hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Where can I get cams

Took your suggestion and did the math. The Lextreme kit for 800hp capable motor is ~$3,000. Rebuild time is 43 hours according your post so I figured 50 just to be safe. 50hrs at $75/hr is another $3,000. Figure another $1,000 for odds an ends gaskets and filters?

$7,000 for rebuilt motor. Guessing it would have around 350 crank hp stock after rebuild and be capable of handling closer to 800. Throw in your headers, intake, and etc and I don't see why it wouldn't be around 360-370hp. Not sure what that makes at wheel.
Old 06-23-08, 05:19 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexi4darin
Took your suggestion and did the math. The Lextreme kit for 800hp capable motor is ~$3,000. Rebuild time is 43 hours according your post so I figured 50 just to be safe. 50hrs at $75/hr is another $3,000. Figure another $1,000 for odds an ends gaskets and filters?

$7,000 for rebuilt motor. Guessing it would have around 350 crank hp stock after rebuild and be capable of handling closer to 800. Throw in your headers, intake, and etc and I don't see why it wouldn't be around 360-370hp. Not sure what that makes at wheel.
It would be a lot more than 360-370hp (crank). Hell, my car is running damn near close to 340hp (crank) with my mods listed below only! Assuming that we have a 20% hp loss from the drivetrain. 360-370hp would be anywhere from 285 - 295whp. Just take the crank hp # and times by 80% (.80) for a rough estimated whp # for our cars.

Quick Reply: Changing internals on (non-FI) GS400/430...has any1 done it?