Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Installing MagnaFlows (99 GS400)

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-08, 09:07 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installing MagnaFlows (99 GS400)

So I recently ordered Magnaflow mufflers with tips, with the following dimensions;

They are the 14827 model
2.25" inlet
The tip is,
4" diam.
angle cut
7" length

Will they clear? Any rubbing points I should be aware of? Any problems?

Would like to know if anyone in Central NJ would be willing to help me set these up? I have no idea of what I would be doing, or should be doing.

Payment:

a 6 pack, and lunch
Old 06-03-08, 09:12 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you going to need a welder..cuz u have to cut and weld.
Old 06-04-08, 05:49 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Anyone else?
Old 06-04-08, 06:36 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you planning on welding it or clamping the exhaust system together?
Old 06-04-08, 06:44 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Honestly, I have NO clue about how to install them. Looking for a DIY, or someone that would be willing to do the install for me. 6 Pack and lunch is my payment lol
Old 06-04-08, 06:56 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
Honestly, I have NO clue about how to install them. Looking for a DIY, or someone that would be willing to do the install for me. 6 Pack and lunch is my payment lol
yeahhhhh....clamping is all well and good provided you can stretch the end of the piping enough to slide the 2 together and then apply clamps.

Youre going to need to unbolt the factory mufflers, cut off the length of piping that has the flange attached to it and then weld it back on to the inlet section of the muffler. Measurements can be tricky, i'd honestly suggest a muffler shop, they'll weld them in for just a few bucks.
Old 06-05-08, 06:14 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

What if I cut the pipes leading to the stock mufflers, and leave roughly 2 - 3" on the muffler with a pipe, and drill a hole in the cat back pipe, and have it held down with nuts and bolts? Also have some heat tape wrapped around it. Would that work?
Old 06-06-08, 07:23 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GS400RcrX
What if I cut the pipes leading to the stock mufflers, and leave roughly 2 - 3" on the muffler with a pipe, and drill a hole in the cat back pipe, and have it held down with nuts and bolts? Also have some heat tape wrapped around it. Would that work?
Heat Tape wrapped around it?

Return the 6 pack to the grocery store and take that money to a muffler shop and have them weld it up for you.
Old 06-06-08, 06:03 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

My friend around the block knows how to do this, so I'll let him do it for me. I'll probably give him the 6 pack then :P
Old 06-07-08, 06:24 PM
sleeper408

I honestly think you should have the system welded. I've had a SLP exhaust on my Cobra before and it used clamps. After the first week or so, it would get loose from all the vibration from all those WOT runs. I would have to re-tighten them over and over. Especially the ones for the exhaust tips. Sometimes they would rotate, sometimes they would extend. I was scared the tip might fall off on the freeway.
Old 06-07-08, 07:45 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleeper408
I honestly think you should have the system welded. I've had a SLP exhaust on my Cobra before and it used clamps. After the first week or so, it would get loose from all the vibration from all those WOT runs. I would have to re-tighten them over and over. Especially the ones for the exhaust tips. Sometimes they would rotate, sometimes they would extend. I was scared the tip might fall off on the freeway.
Good thing you told me that! I have to wait another week or so for my magnaflows. Damn UPS is such poo poo.
Old 06-08-08, 02:38 AM
Caoboy
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take them too a muffler shop and have them weld it on. It shouldn't be too much, since you already have the mufflers.
Old 06-08-08, 02:46 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just thinking, why do many domestic with aftermarket exhaust would clamp while most of the imports have welds? (I'm also talking about exhaust kits I sometimes see, most imports if not all have flanges to them, while sometimes I still see clamps for domestics???)

Also, your car's a Lexus, do it right.
Old 06-08-08, 01:22 PM
sleeper408

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
I'm just thinking, why do many domestic with aftermarket exhaust would clamp while most of the imports have welds? (I'm also talking about exhaust kits I sometimes see, most imports if not all have flanges to them, while sometimes I still see clamps for domestics???)

Also, your car's a Lexus, do it right.
That is true. I've had a few domestics and some of the exhaust brands use clamps. They call it a "modular" system so that you can remove or add different pipes (resonators, cats). I couldn't understand why they can't use 3-bolt flanges though. That seems like a much better idea. Whenever I'd bottom out, I'd get paranoid the pipes have "uncoupled."
Old 06-09-08, 11:22 AM
sleeper408

Oh yeah, if you want some extra grunt, get the rear 2 resonators removed. That's what I did with my Magnaflows and it sounds great!

Quick Reply: Installing MagnaFlows (99 GS400)