Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Cold Air Box + K&N Intake 2001 GS430

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-08, 12:20 PM
tresvatos
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Box + K&N Intake 2001 GS430

I have made a cold air box from sheet metal to cover the
K&N filter with the short air intake from the heat of the engine.

One of my other main goals is to quiet down the Intake being
that it is much louder than the stock. I want to keep the luxury
aspect of the Lexus if you know what I mean.

I am planning on routing a hose to the front air dam thru a
hole 3 1/2 " behind the passenger headlight to push cool air
onto the filter.

Making a cover that will cover the complete top of the air box
all the way to the fire wall/fender to eliminate any engine heat
getting in to the filter/intake, as well as soften the noise a little.

I will keep updated pics of my progress and would appreciate
any helpful suggestions.

Thanks for your info!

Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Box + K&N Intake 2001 GS430-lexus-air-box.jpg  
Old 06-05-08, 12:51 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Very nice! any plans for a dyno?
Old 06-05-08, 02:04 PM
tresvatos
Driver

There are no Dynos close to where I live, so that will be on hold for now...
Old 06-05-08, 05:00 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Feel any performance gain from your airbox?
Old 06-05-08, 09:04 PM
tresvatos
Driver

So far just a LITTLE gain I beleive. I do think the GS is breathing better though.
Old 06-05-08, 09:43 PM
BigManne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tresvatos
There are no Dynos close to where I live, so that will be on hold for now...
where in miss are you?
Old 06-05-08, 11:02 PM
denut-L
Lexus Test Driver

I've tried something like that before and..didn't like the results of the sheet metal becoming hot and the air filter was breathing all that heat..from it. ever touched the air filter and sheet metal after engines been on for awhile.
it's HOT!
Old 06-06-08, 12:28 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not trying to be rude or disrespect your work but why didn't you just go with a drop-in K&N filter if noise was that important??
Old 06-06-08, 11:21 AM
tresvatos
Driver

For right now I want to see what I can come up with because I like to design and
try new systems to see how they will work.

I would like to put the factory air filter box on with the drop in filter but, I took the
factory air box off and I don't know where it is at…does any one know someone
that has one they want to get rid of.
Old 06-12-08, 11:47 AM
TheKoosh
Driver

alright i just installed the same intake last night and here are my observations as well. it's a generic intake pipe using a K&N filter and sold by procarparts.com (picked it up from their website for about $90 shipped), and from what i can tell the pipe sizing and shape looks to be an exact ripoff of the injen pipe for the gs430.

first, i had a ***** of a time getting my MAF off the airbox so i ended up having to dremel the screw-grommets off and chop em open. looks like i'll be taping the MAF back onto the airbox when i go back to stock, lol. aside from that though, install was fairly easy if you've installed an intake before (since there were no instructions).

i left the engine cover off, but there's definitely not a lot of ventilation going into the engine bay so i'm not sure the intake will produce huge gains or anything. for what it's worth (and this is probably cuz my old filter was a little dirty), the trip computer says my mileage went up ~1.5mpg after an initial 45mile drive to about 22mpg (and yes, i've WOT'd it several times on the way to work). it finally sounds like a burbly v8 now, but only under heavy throttle so it's not too loud for me at most other times. then again, i've driven rice rockets and bikes all my life so i'm not the best person to compare noise

one question, since there were no instructions i used those from the SRT intake, and the last step (on the intake part) involves punching out a piece of plastic behind the front bumper and next to the foglight for increased airflow. the instructions were for a 300, and on my 430 it doesn't seem like that panel is there. can anyone shed some light on this? greg, did you take that out?

Last edited by TheKoosh; 06-12-08 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-12-08, 01:04 PM
tresvatos
Driver

Default K&N Intake setup

Yeah I took out the panel beside the fog light.

Unscrew your fog light and the small black panel will loosen up.

Then you nedd to gently push/tap the black panel which is clipped to the air dam back until it pops off.

Since last post I drilled a 3" hole behind the front pass. headlight and had a aircraft mech. friend of mine fabricate a sheet metal pipe and scoop leading directly to that opening where the small paneling was.

So I have direct airflow from the front air dam to the area behind the pass. headlight where the filter sets in the cool air box.

I will definatley take and post some pics. It has worked out great so far.
Old 06-12-08, 01:20 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tresvatos
Yeah I took out the panel beside the fog light.

Unscrew your fog light and the small black panel will loosen up.

Then you nedd to gently push/tap the black panel which is clipped to the air dam back until it pops off.

Since last post I drilled a 3" hole behind the front pass. headlight and had a aircraft mech. friend of mine fabricate a sheet metal pipe and scoop leading directly to that opening where the small paneling was.

So I have direct airflow from the front air dam to the area behind the pass. headlight where the filter sets in the cool air box.

I will definatley take and post some pics. It has worked out great so far.
I did this exact mod about a year ago and it worked good but I would get a CEL EVERYTIME I used this setup. Only difference was that I had "extended" my intake piping directly down in front of that fog light hole...so my actual filter sits right there. Not too smart though as far as if I had to drive in the rain with big puddles. Also, the filter got dirty that much quicker being that close to the street.
Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Box + K&N Intake 2001 GS430-cab-1.jpg  
Old 06-12-08, 01:21 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

pic of filter location...

GL with your setup BTW!!! It looks good
Attached Thumbnails Cold Air Box + K&N Intake 2001 GS430-p8270154.jpg  
Old 06-13-08, 06:35 AM
TheKoosh
Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
I did this exact mod about a year ago and it worked good but I would get a CEL EVERYTIME I used this setup. Only difference was that I had "extended" my intake piping directly down in front of that fog light hole...so my actual filter sits right there. Not too smart though as far as if I had to drive in the rain with big puddles.
yeah be sure to watch out for hydrolock. also, the MAF sensor is probably wigging out because the engine's working harder to gulp down the same amount of air thanks to the longer piping, which is probably why you've got the CEL.
Old 06-13-08, 09:44 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TheKoosh
yeah be sure to watch out for hydrolock. also, the MAF sensor is probably wigging out because the engine's working harder to gulp down the same amount of air thanks to the longer piping, which is probably why you've got the CEL.
I'm confused??? Wouldn't the intake be taking on MORE air since the filter is right in front of the lower air damn hole (ram air effect)? I have since removed this setup due to the CEL but I would love to re-install if I could figure out MY CEL issue. It was giving a PO171 code (engine bank 1 too lean). This code is ONLY popped when I put this setup back on...and it only takes about a minute to pop up once this setup is re-installed. I even bought and installed an Apexi Neo air fuel controller and adjusted the A/F #'s (by a professional on a dyno) and it still did NOT get rid of that damn CEL code! I did get a nice increase of power though... I thought it is my O2 sensors (they are the original ones 8 yrs old) but no CEL comes on when I revert back to the regular intake setup.

Quick Reply: Cold Air Box + K&N Intake 2001 GS430