Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Megan Midpipe Installed!(56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-08, 07:29 PM
phil9892
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to here the tanabe with the midpipe. Are you gonna put the main resonator back on? The HKS didn't sound too bad, like Joe Z said, it'll be probably sound better with the resonator back on.
Old 06-19-08, 07:17 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
Can some one get the weight of these mid pipes??? curious minds want to know please.

thank you
The Megan mid pipe is 25 lbs which is 3 lbs lighter than the OEM piece.
Old 06-19-08, 07:24 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice find James I would be trying this out if I where keeping my car. I think this would compliment my Tanabe really nice. I must say I did like the F-sport exhaust at the Lexus event a month back.

good luck on all this guys! I have enjoyed reading up on these many performance threads

Mike
Old 06-19-08, 09:10 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
I can weigh the stock midpipe over the weekend, but I can tell you right now that it is a heavy ****. Since the Megan comes in 2 pieces and the stock is 1 piece it is difficult to gauge accurately. But I would say the Megan is easily half the weight. Please be aware that my stock midpipe has the secondary cats removed and my Megan Midpipe has the main resonator removed.
DOH! Did I say half the weight? LOL oh well. I think the resonator weighs a ton but ya I would ignore my previous comment.
Old 06-21-08, 11:39 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

hm....I was about to get this mid-pipe if you weren't getting it..
it's pretty loud with the current HKS..I wonder if you had a chance to
install the Tanabe..
since I wasn't able to get this megan mid-pipe..
I'm thinking of getting a customized mid-pipe..
please post some sound clips when you get the Tanabe installed..
Old 06-22-08, 07:11 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Default Marriage between Tanabe and Megan

Well I joined my Tanabe with the new Megan mid pipe today and it's a perfect union so far. The fit is perfect, the sound is perfect in all aspects and there feels like there may be a few extra ponies out of it. I'm going to hit the dyno as soon as I can perhaps this week. I put 200 miles on my car today so it's well broken in and that new exhaust smell is long gone. Here are a few pics. BTW..Getting the O2 sensors out is a HUGE PIA!!

Old 06-22-08, 07:16 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,025 Likes on 2,439 Posts

So shiny and clean! Nice. Until the first rainstorm...
Old 06-22-08, 07:17 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great! but the the big issue, is the interior drone we've discussed better or worse then your custom mid pipes? maybe go into some details and do some comparrisons?
Old 06-22-08, 07:20 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So shiny and clean! Nice. Until the first rainstorm...
hehe yeah just look at the Tanabe how it's lost it's shine! One of these days I'll maybe think about getting under there and bringing back it's shine as well. BTW.. with those bullet type resonators in place of where the secondary cats would be, there is absolutely no mid pipe noise at any rpm like with the OEM piece that I had to wrap as a fix.
Old 06-22-08, 07:24 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fluxx
looks great! but the the big issue, is the interior drone we've discussed better or worse then your custom mid pipes? maybe go into some details and do some comparrisons?
No drone except while on cruise control up an incline, but other than that it's perfect. Very comfortable driving, nice rumble still at startup and low rpms and it does seem quieter in the upper rpms compared to the custom mid pipe. It's good and I hope the dyno shows some gains.
Old 06-22-08, 07:24 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Looks good James
Old 06-22-08, 07:29 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

i doubt there will be any gains.. or if there is it would just put you even with how the megan cat back performs correct?? b/c this is basically identical except with tanabe mufflers instead of the megan mufflers
Old 06-22-08, 07:32 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
i doubt there will be any gains.. or if there is it would just put you even with how the megan cat back performs correct?? b/c this is basically identical except with tanabe mufflers instead of the megan mufflers
We'll see and I'll let you know after the dyno. Even if there are little to no gains it's still a sweet looking and sounding exhaust to compliment the Tanabe and it's relatively cheap.
Old 06-22-08, 07:34 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

actually the "full" Megan exhaust is consistent in diameter. I cant recall if its 2.5 or 2.25 but the Tanabe has a smaller diameter pipe then that portion of the Megan axle back. I just never cared for the burnt tip look. I like the sound of the Tanabe and this should be a nice compliment to it.
Old 06-22-08, 07:38 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Awesome! I got my Tanabe in on Friday as well and let's just say the girlfriend loves being in my car again. I feel it is perfect volume. How much louder is your exhaust with the midpipe compared to just the Tanabe. Right now I feel that at WOT the car has more growl than it did with just the HKS and stock midpipe, but its even quiter down low than the HKS(no midpipe).

The comparison between Tanabe and Megan midpipe and HKS & Megan midpipe is night and day. That setup made all my interior rattle and my ear drums ache. Congrats on the setup. Maybe its in my head, but I thought I felt an increase after the midpipe was installed. Luckily I did not feel a decrease going from HKS to Tanabe.

Quick Reply: Megan Midpipe Installed!(56k beware)