Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Megan Midpipe Installed!(56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-08, 07:41 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
actually the "full" Megan exhaust is consistent in diameter. I cant recall if its 2.5 or 2.25 but the Tanabe has a smaller diameter pipe then that portion of the Megan axle back. I just never cared for the burnt tip look. I like the sound of the Tanabe and this should be a nice compliment to it.
Yes, the Megan is 2 3/8ths throughout while the tanabe is split into 2 2" pipes leading into the mufflers. The mid pipe came with an extra piece that has 2.5" piping that I could use (picture below far left) that I could potentially get some magnaflow mufflers for and extend some exhaust piping to meet this section. Maybe another project down the road, but honestly the (2) 2" pipes of the Tanabe should be more than enough for this car. The Megan piece is very consistent in diameter and has very smooth bends and is slightly larger in diameter so it "should" be of some benefit kinda like how the JoeZ intake smooths out the airflow and yields some gains.

Old 06-22-08, 07:51 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
Awesome! I got my Tanabe in on Friday as well and let's just say the girlfriend loves being in my car again. I feel it is perfect volume. How much louder is your exhaust with the midpipe compared to just the Tanabe. Right now I feel that at WOT the car has more growl than it did with just the HKS and stock midpipe, but its even quiter down low than the HKS(no midpipe).

The comparison between Tanabe and Megan midpipe and HKS & Megan midpipe is night and day. That setup made all my interior rattle and my ear drums ache. Congrats on the setup. Maybe its in my head, but I thought I felt an increase after the midpipe was installed. Luckily I did not feel a decrease going from HKS to Tanabe.
Did you get the Megan resonator welded back on?
Old 06-22-08, 09:04 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much is it for just the back part with the 2 secondary cat lookin things?
Old 06-23-08, 07:27 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Dyno scheduled for this coming Friday morning.
Old 06-23-08, 09:18 AM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

James, I thought you were getting the JoeZ?

Last edited by combfilter; 06-23-08 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-27-08, 08:51 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Default Megan dyno results 6_27_08

Well here are the results of the Megan midpipe used in conjunction with the Tanabe exhaust. Gained small amounts of power all through the rpms, but nothing significant. For the price, perfect sound, weight savings and the looks this is a very nice setup for all those who already have the Tanabe.

Just to humor you guys about how important weather conditions are for making power in this car. Take a look at my uncorrected figures below. Now just imagine how much power is being made in real cool temps below 50.

Last edited by caymandive; 06-27-08 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-27-08, 10:51 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for sharing and taking the time for others to post this info

I wonder if you had the full Megan if there would be any difference since the pipes are more consistent from the mid pipes all the way back!
Old 06-27-08, 11:26 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by passnu2
Thanks for sharing and taking the time for others to post this info

I wonder if you had the full Megan if there would be any difference since the pipes are more consistent from the mid pipes all the way back!
You're welcome. They dyno operator and myself have come to the conclusion that the exhaust and intake on this car are NOT restrictions. There is about 10hp available by removing the secondary cats and putting on some free flow mufflers and that is it. You may get a hp or two more with a true dual with x pipe, but there are negatives to that as well. More expensive, more noise and more weight. I think I'm pretty much done with the exhaust now as it simply sound perfect, looks fantastic and weighs 13 lbs less than OEM.

I think the only way to get real power out of this car is N20, but I have no plans for that. I guess i'll start saving up for some nice Progressive ME wheels next.
Old 06-27-08, 03:01 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey cayman would you mind make a mini video of the driving in the cabin if you get some time? i really appreciate all the info that your sharing!
Old 06-27-08, 03:03 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by fluxx
hey cayman would you mind make a mini video of the driving in the cabin if you get some time? i really appreciate all the info that your sharing!
Yeah I could do that. What exactly are you looking for?
Old 06-27-08, 03:39 PM
phil9892
Driver

How about a video that has stand still rev, wot drive-by, and normal driving in-cabin windows up?
Old 06-27-08, 05:18 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just general sounds. the lack of drone, lol and how the exhaust sounds in the cabin. idk everyone makes a video for everything. I thought I'd be the first one to ask. haha

Last edited by fluxx; 06-27-08 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-27-08, 05:27 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club
Forum Moderator

Ok guys I'll go out to my usual spot and get some video clips for ya.
Old 06-27-08, 06:43 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a video with liz hurley nude riding shotgun, with high revs???

looks and sounds good James.
Old 06-27-08, 07:00 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Great job getting that dynoed so fast! Do you remember what the gains were with just the Tanabe and then without the secondary cats? Either way, the sound is really nice, and to answer your previous question I still haven't put on the resonator. I think I'll get around to it sometime, but I would say the car drones less right now than it did with just the HKS axle-back.

Quick Reply: Megan Midpipe Installed!(56k beware)