Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Megan Midpipe Installed!(56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 07:30 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
How about a video with liz hurley nude riding shotgun, with high revs???

looks and sounds good James.
I want you to take a video of you driving your car with a midget holding these balloons.

Last edited by SoDiezl350; 06-27-08 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-27-08, 08:18 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
Great job getting that dynoed so fast! Do you remember what the gains were with just the Tanabe and then without the secondary cats? Either way, the sound is really nice, and to answer your previous question I still haven't put on the resonator. I think I'll get around to it sometime, but I would say the car drones less right now than it did with just the HKS axle-back.
Check out my dyno journal. I have your answers there for gains. I'm in the process of uploading a new video for you guys and will probably be the last one until racing season begins in the fall.

On a side note, I'm getting bored with this car. It looks like we are all stuck with about 10-13hp max gains for bolt-ons. The intake and exhaust aren't very restrictive, superchargers either don't make power or cost 6 grand+, and N20 would be a pain. Sti hatch in the future? I just couldn't keep my eyes off this car today while at the dyno shop. Simple bolt-ons and 150+ gains in hp on pump! http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1544002

Last edited by caymandive; 06-30-08 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-27-08, 08:36 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Video is finally uploaded and I'm off to bed. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYhvpYw8380
Old 06-27-08, 08:48 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
I want you to take a video of you driving your car with a midget holding these ballons.

haha thats so funny.. i love Dave!!
Old 06-27-08, 10:07 PM
wkw84
Driver

Originally Posted by caymandive
Video is finally uploaded and I'm off to bed. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYhvpYw8380

your car sounds hot!
Old 06-27-08, 11:11 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Check out my dyno journal. I have your answers there for gains. I'm in the process of uploading a new video for you guys and will probably be the last one until racing season begins in the fall.

On a side note, I'm getting bored with this car. It looks like we are all stuck with about 10-13hp max gains for bolt-ons. The intake and exhaust aren't very restrictive, superchargers either don't make power or cost 10 grand, and N20 would be a pain. Sti hatch in the future? I just couldn't keep my eyes off this car today while at the dyno shop. Simple bolt-ons and 150+ gains in hp on pump! http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1544002
I know how you feel. I used to be a heavy modder with a A4 1.8T with quattro. Turbo was fun for a while but too many headaches and I wanted RWD. I thought I would give it another chance though and bought a 07 Subaru... Legacy Spec B(got too good of a deal to pass on). The previous (05-06) Legacies got great gains from just a ECU reflash and would pull low 13s with boltons+ the tune. The STIs with the bigger turbos were even easier to get up there. When I bought my 07, the first subaru with canbus, and a newly "optimized" (read smaller) turbo there was another month left to wait before the Cobb Accessport came out. This was last Dec, and people had been waiting for a year for it to come out. Preorders were placed in Dec 06, while first orders were shipped in Dec 07/Jan 08.

The initial results were a huge disappointment. Checking the website now, it seems the Canbus Legacies are still not making much power.

This is stage 1: Stage1 ACN91 Octane Stage1 designed specifically for AZ/CA/NV 91 Octane. +2% HP / +7% lb. ft.

Stage2 designed specifically for AZ/CA/NV 91 Octane. Requires turboback exhaust. +4% HP / +15% lb. ft.

Remember the Legacy comes with 243 hp, so that puts it at less than 5hp gain with a stage 1 flash.

This was the pre 07 Legacy:
Stage1 ACN91 MTv116: 280 HP (+12%) / 300 lb-ft (+20%).

It seems the 08 STIs are faring much better :

Calibration Name: Stage1 ACN91 v101: +11.5% HP / +13.5% lb-ft

My Legacy also had this really annoying hesitation. It seems they programmed the computer to run at perfect stoichimetric air fuel. Anyone that knows anything about turbo cars, knows they need to run rich to not detonate. Well the hesitation the car experienced, was the ECU pulling so much timing that it would just buck around 3500 RPM at WOT. Some ppl had this go away with a reflash, others had it come back. How? I don't know I sold the car shortly after that. After going onto the legacy forum recently, it seems the individual who bought my car(I bought it with 5k, and sold it with 12k) has sprung an oil leak which killed his turbo. Luckily for him its covered by warranty, but its still a huge annoyance.

Just doing a quick search, it seems the oil leak issue is still an issue, as is the hesitation. Unfortunately, the hesitation isn't limited to the Legacies anymore but even the 08 STIs are experiencing it.

I've realized now, that for a DD the Lexus is great, and I will not be modding it anymore. Instead I am considering saving up for something fast, nimble, and something I don't need to worry about working by Monday morning so that I can drive to work. Maybe a MR2 turbo, maybe a older WRX.

Just in case you were wondering, the 335 is also turning out to be a pretty huge reliablity nightmare for some people. This is much more well known though as compared to the latest Subarus.
Old 06-28-08, 05:26 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Yeah the Lexus is a great daily driving car and perhaps having the car is a blessing in disguise. It prevents me from blowing money on all sorts of mods, gets good gas mileage and has been extremely consistent at the track and on the dyno.

Hopefully the testing and videos I've done of the Tanabe and Megan will be of some help to those out there who already have axle backs and are looking for other options. The dyno did show very smooth power delivery in comparison to the OEM midpipe due perhaps to the smoother mandrel bends, which is nice along with a slight increase of power throughout.
Old 06-28-08, 07:21 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

just slap a small shot of nitrous on there.. do it right and you wont see any problems
Old 06-28-08, 08:54 AM
hwy1isf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cayman,

I checked the website for Megan Racing and could not find an appication chart for Lexus. Do you have the website you used to place the order, and do they have an option of eleminating the secondary cats? I was thinking maybe a little more power.
Old 06-28-08, 07:44 PM
SeOuLiS250
Lexus Champion

so, did you get the resonator back on your Megan Midpipe?
Old 06-30-08, 04:20 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

haha Mach V motorsports FTW!! I ordered so many of my subaru parts from them.. my god was it expensive over the border But they were the ony ones with the best subaru stuff.

Definatly getting a Sti Hatchback( except for the looks) would be killer.. but it would make a terrible daily driver if you suped it up. Definatly when it comes to gas lol. My suby was only running on 19 psi.. but it went through gas like crazy! I could literaly see the guage go down when i floored it haha.

Thanks for posting the Video clip.. can't wait till my tanabe comes in.
Old 06-30-08, 10:25 PM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No drone except while on cruise control up an incline, but other than that it's perfect. Very comfortable driving, nice rumble still at startup and low rpms and it does seem quieter in the upper rpms compared to the custom mid pipe. It's good and I hope the dyno shows some gains.
cayman, so which sounds better and louder overall, the megan mid pipe w/tanabe or the custom mid pipe w/tanabe?

also how hard is it to install the megan mid pipe? anything to be careful of??
Old 07-01-08, 04:36 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by radicalrev
cayman, so which sounds better and louder overall, the megan mid pipe w/tanabe or the custom mid pipe w/tanabe?

also how hard is it to install the megan mid pipe? anything to be careful of??
The custom mid pipe was louder over all. The Megan mid pipe is quieter, but much deeper in tone which I like a lot.

A few installation tips.
1. Remove the 4 flange bolts where it connects to the primary cats first while they are still semi-hot. They seem to fit a 14mm socket perfectly while hot but as soon as they cool they are more like 13.5mm.
2. Allow the exhaust to cool before removing the O2 sensors
3. You will need new crush gaskets for the connection to the primary cats
Old 07-01-08, 07:43 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

cayman- is your car quite a bit louder on a cold start vs.. when youve driven some that day then start it up?

my first start is obnoxious.. i usually push start engine then shift to neutral becuse it will quite it down some and keep the rpms lower than in park

but if i do leave it in park after like 45 sec is quites down
Old 07-01-08, 08:04 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lextasy89
cayman- is your car quite a bit louder on a cold start vs.. when youve driven some that day then start it up?

my first start is obnoxious.. i usually push start engine then shift to neutral becuse it will quite it down some and keep the rpms lower than in park

but if i do leave it in park after like 45 sec is quites down
Yes, the car has always been louder on a cold start. It has the usual higher initial rpms where it has a very nice deep rumble. Definitely not obnoxious.

Quick Reply: Megan Midpipe Installed!(56k beware)