Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Megan Midpipe Installed!(56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-08, 03:10 PM
ghettoaww
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fluxx let us know how much louder it makes the tanabe
Old 07-21-08, 10:06 AM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its exactly as caymandive described. btw i installed the mid-pipe this morning. took me about 2hrs. pita since i did it in my garage with jackstands, but its definately do-able. anyways here are my opinions in comparison with my previous setup.

previous - oem mid-pipe, tanabe exhaust
current - megan-midpipe, tanabe exahust

1st. having only driven 20miles or so the exhaust is tiny louder. it sounds exactly like it does in caymans video..

2nd. the drone is gone. i drove on the highway for about 12miles and the other 8miles or so around some backroads around my house.

even though the drone is gone (which is heavenly) i traded the drone for some additional noise from the exhaust and idk if i like that.

so im up in the air atm about selling both my tanabe exhaust and the megan mid-pipe and just go back to stockers and get some tips.
Old 07-21-08, 05:24 PM
ghettoaww
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by fluxx
its exactly as caymandive described. btw i installed the mid-pipe this morning. took me about 2hrs. pita since i did it in my garage with jackstands, but its definately do-able. anyways here are my opinions in comparison with my previous setup.

previous - oem mid-pipe, tanabe exhaust
current - megan-midpipe, tanabe exahust

1st. having only driven 20miles or so the exhaust is tiny louder. it sounds exactly like it does in caymans video..

2nd. the drone is gone. i drove on the highway for about 12miles and the other 8miles or so around some backroads around my house.

even though the drone is gone (which is heavenly) i traded the drone for some additional noise from the exhaust and idk if i like that.

so im up in the air atm about selling both my tanabe exhaust and the megan mid-pipe and just go back to stockers and get some tips.
yeah i read the other thread on the midpipe and didn't read this one...it sounds really sweet on caymans vid... the oem midpipe is one piece right? I am going to get it but have to figure out how am I going to get the oem midpipe back home. Thanks.
Old 07-21-08, 06:04 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

yeah its one piece, but i dont see why the oem midpipe wouldnt fit in the car if the passengar seat was down and it was just laid in the car.

well i put the midpipe up for sale in the classifieds. lol

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=368608
Old 07-21-08, 07:07 PM
ghettoaww
Lead Lap

as fruity as it may sound I don't want to get the car all dirty with the pipe in there... with the windows rolled up the midpipe w/ tanabe too loud for your taste?
Old 07-21-08, 07:53 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ghettoaww
as fruity as it may sound I don't want to get the car all dirty with the pipe in there... with the windows rolled up the midpipe w/ tanabe too loud for your taste?
lol i totally agree with you, thats why i always keep a sheet and a towel in my trunk. Because i realized and well i knew that the car is way small and i generally have to put stuff in my back seat and dont want to get it dirty.

yes the tanabe is/was louder. but its hard to explain i guess what i was expecting was quieter tanabe and no drone. well i recieved the no drone part, but the tanabe became a hair louder, so it was a trade off to me. I also realized that i dont care for the exhaust sound and like the looks side of it alot more. If this helps my gf said the exhaust sounded way better and she enjoyed the sound with the megan mid-pipe, lol. but im planning on selling the tanabe as soon as i grab the stock exhaust from storage. but itll some time after labor day unless i can find sometime between a wedding, graduation, disney world vaca and a two week to L.A....
Old 07-22-08, 01:05 PM
Evil Teo
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

anyone tried for AWD fitment on the midpipes yet?
Old 07-22-08, 03:15 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The AWD mid pipe is different.
Old 07-22-08, 10:21 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

so from a scale from 1-10 ten being the highest
the IS350 DB level (noise, loudness) stock is about: 2
with the tanabe axleback exhaust only is about: 4

what would be this number for the MEgan midpipe + tanabe axleback:??????
Old 07-22-08, 10:58 PM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Originally Posted by juice14

Tanabe+midpipe = 6

HKS+midpipe = 10
Old 07-22-08, 11:39 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by juice14

cant really rate the sound of the exhaust on a number scale because everyones perception is different. the best way i could describe it to be like this.

sit in your car, engine off and FM radio on. it so happen when i went to my car and did this all american rejects move along was on. just the song i was using as reference

the stock exhaust would be volume 1

tanabe volume while under normal acceleration with the drone 5
tanabe volume while driving on normal streets 2
tanabe volume while cruising on the highway at 2600-2800rpms(85-90mphs) with drone 3-4

tanabe plus megan midpipe under normal acceleration would be like an 7-8
tanabe plus megan midpipe while driving on normal streets 2
tanabe plus megan midpipe on the highway at 2600-2800rpms(85-90mphs) 2

hope this makes sense at least you can hear the difference in volume, at least to me this was the noise level difference. obivously its alot louder, but to me this would be the best representation.

on the side note, caymansdive video of the exhaust is to be a very great representation of the sounds of the tanabe + megan mid.

Last edited by fluxx; 07-22-08 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-22-08, 11:41 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SoDiezl350
Tanabe+midpipe = 6

HKS+midpipe = 10
if i had to say a number id say 5-6 as well for the tanabe+megan, but there is no drone!
Old 07-23-08, 02:43 PM
ghettoaww
Lead Lap

great review guys...i am sure the intake would make a slight increase too.
Old 07-23-08, 04:22 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

cant really rate the sound of the exhaust on a number scale because everyones perception is different. the best way i could describe it to be like this.

sit in your car, engine off and FM radio on. it so happen when i went to my car and did this all american rejects move along was on. just the song i was using as reference

the stock exhaust would be volume 1

tanabe volume while under normal acceleration with the drone 5
tanabe volume while driving on normal streets 2
tanabe volume while cruising on the highway at 2600-2800rpms(85-90mphs) with drone 3-4

tanabe plus megan midpipe under normal acceleration would be like an 7-8
tanabe plus megan midpipe while driving on normal streets 2
tanabe plus megan midpipe on the highway at 2600-2800rpms(85-90mphs) 2

hope this makes sense at least you can hear the difference in volume, at least to me this was the noise level difference. obivously its alot louder, but to me this would be the best representation.

on the side note, caymansdive video of the exhaust is to be a very great representation of the sounds of the tanabe + megan mid.
Makes more sense now, because I had a car that was very loud, and on video it sounded great but you couldnt tell that is was loud. only thing you could tell was the exhaust note.
thats why im kinda skepticall about this. caymandiver sounds amazing to me. better than the g35. but i was just making sure that it wast too loud because this is a lexus, not a civic.

So let me see if I got you FLUXX. on the highway the tanabe alone is louder than the tanabe + Midpipe?

Last edited by juice14; 07-23-08 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-23-08, 04:24 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

if i had to say a number id say 5-6 as well for the tanabe+megan, but there is no drone!
so the tanabe + megan midpipe is about 1.5 times louder than with the tanabe alone then??
just an estimate right?

Quick Reply: Megan Midpipe Installed!(56k beware)