Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Megan Midpipe Installed!(56k beware)

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-08, 01:11 AM
SoDiezl350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megan Midpipe Installed!(56k beware)

Hey everyone,

I've actually been waiting to post this for over a week but I've been waiting on a screen name change because I originally registered a screen name that someone had already been using.

Now I am aware that there is an ongoing thread in the performance forum that is hoping to establish whether or not you can in fact purchase a Megan midpipe seperately. Well to those of you hoping I know some way of doing this, I am sorry but I don't. I bought the midpipe used from an IS350 owner who had gotten into an accident and damaged the axleback portion of the exhaust.

I jumped at this opportunity as I already had an HKS axle-back and was hoping for some performance and aucoustic enhancement. The individual who I bought the exhaust from had removed the main resonator. He did give it to me in case I decided to want to have it rewelded back on.

Here are some pics of the install and I will give my opinion afterwards:

Car on ramps:

Unbolt from headers... hey what's that doing there lol. Since I bought the car modded I didn't even know I had that.

WTF, my o2 socket doesn't fit... Had to go to the store and buy a thin walled one

Another mod I didn't know about... Anyone know what this is or who makes it?

Exhausts out, what do you know, previous owner had the resonators removed... no wonder it drones.

Midpipe going back in. Put new gaskets in to prevent leaks.

New signature, too bad the size limit is so small you can barely make it out otherwise

So what are my impressions? This thing is loud. I believe that it was a bad idea to remove the resonator from the midpipe. I also believe that the HKS is one of the louder exhausts and this paired with a full on catback makes it probably the loudest system I've heard in a while. Would I recommend it? Not in this form, I am in the process of either getting a Tanabe or some silencers for the HKS. I am leaning towards the Tanabe because I like the look better and I think that it will be quiet enough with a simple axleback swap.

At this point the car rattles quite badly during low RPM acceleration. At WOT and high RPM the sound is much less drony and much more aggressive. I'm hoping the Tanabe will eliminate the droniness and retain the aggressive top end. If not, I will then proceed to install the resonator that came with the megan midpipe and if its still too loud, buy some silencers for the tanabe. Given that I found the HKS with stock catback - small resonators acceptable, I find it hard to believe that this setup will be too loud. I would however like to hear what everyone else's experience is and what opinions you guys might have regarding this issue.

Last edited by SoDiezl350; 06-10-08 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-10-08, 02:07 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

The HKS Hi-Power ehxuast is one of the loudest axle back exuasts out for the ISx50..

From your pics, the previous owner had the secondary cats removed on the oem system...

I recommend having the megan resonator welded back on if you plan on keeping that set up... and maybe try the silencers...

If you install just the Tanabe to the Megan setup it will still be loud (but not as loud) and will still drone.

Side by side, its clear that you swapped out for a louder system.. Bigger pipping with no large resonator verses oem pipping with cats removed..

Also, I would think it drones worst know than it did before... ??

Good Luck & Thanks for sharing!!

Joe Z
Old 06-10-08, 04:15 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

The Tanabe does a great job of cutting down unwanted noise and drone. My suggestion is to get the Tanabe and weld that resonator back into the Megan pipe and you will be set. You may want to also consider exhaust wrap on the portion of the Megan pipe where on the OEM had the heat/sound cladding in place. That will subdue things even more and give the system deep tones with no resonance and most likely you won't have any issues with drone either.

BTW Did you by chance weigh the Megan mid-pipe along with it's cutout resonator? I'm curious to see if it's lighter than the OEM piece.
Old 06-10-08, 05:12 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like those mid pipes. I agree that those mid pipes along with the Tanabe will offer a nice sport toned exhaust. Not to many on this site would want a crazy loud exhaust like you mentioned "or" to be heard 3 towns away.

If I was keeping my car this was where I was headed. The Tanabe sounds great! Has held the test of weather in Chicago! Fills the rear OEM bumper perfect! Its the best one out there for the $$ IMO.

I would be interested to see your set up as is VS the "NEW" Joe Z set up once he shows us some pics and a DYNO between his set up and this one! Only difference from what little he has mentioned the mid pipes remain separate to the rear mufflers. No one has done this yet so I want to see the real live #'s to see how positive the gains are or if its more for looks. Megan has larger pipes all the way back unlike most of the systems out there. I would not be surprised if this "whole" set up was louder if not as loud if you have the Megan axle back to compliment the Megan mid pipes! Maybe someone that has this whole set up can chime in

Thanks for sharing! Please do post back more info and if you get a Dyno show the #'s please
Old 06-10-08, 03:24 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caymandive

BTW Did you by chance weigh the Megan mid-pipe along with it's cutout resonator? I'm curious to see if it's lighter than the OEM piece.
I am curious also!

Are you going to Dyno your exhaust or does that not matter to you?? I would like to see real live comparo with mid pipes to what JoeZ has come up with. That exhaust looks nice but almost 500$ more then the tanabe and mid pipes since I got the tanabe already and paid less then what they are now. All the exhaust for our car are outrageously priced IMO. The tanabe when I got it for an axle back was over priced and now they have raised the cost on it twice! have to love this economy right about now

PM me if you are going to please!

Thank you
Mike
Old 06-10-08, 03:39 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by passnu2
I am curious also!

Are you going to Dyno your exhaust or does that not matter to you?? I would like to see real live comparo with mid pipes to what JoeZ has come up with. That exhaust looks nice but almost 500$ more then the tanabe and mid pipes since I got the tanabe already and paid less then what they are now. All the exhaust for our car are outrageously priced IMO. The tanabe when I got it for an axle back was over priced and now they have raised the cost on it twice! have to love this economy right about now

PM me if you are going to please!

Thank you
Mike
I've already dyno'd with my custom mid-pipe and Tanabe. I have also overlaid my results with a buddy's IS350 and the Borla exhaust which is almost identical to the new JoeZ series but not as nice as we have all seen. An X-pipe on the IS350 with true dual will absolutely make more power, but not tons more power as you will see. The benefits to sticking with a modified stock setup with Tanabe is that it's 17lbs lighter both on the car and the wallet. Here is my dyno overlay with a Borla equipped IS350. I'm thinking with a Megan Mid-pipe instead of a modified stock mid-pipe the power may go up slightly more and tighten the gap even further.

Old 06-10-08, 04:01 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^^Thank you!

So I see you have a little more Torque with this set up then Joe Z does but he gets a whole 4 more HP. So like you said this way is much less expensive, lighter on the wallet, and almost a mirror image to what the others will do. If my car does not sell I am going to get the Megan Mid Pipes and I will run it on the Dyno with my Tanabe to see how it works out.

I wonder what mode he ran the car in and if it also had the intake or anything else on it? i will post and ask....

so how is a "true" dual exhaust noted if you send them through and X pipe? wouldn't "true" dual mean they do not touch each other straight back to the muffler?

Thanks
Mike
Old 06-10-08, 04:24 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

^^Thank you!

So I see you have a little more Torque with this set up then Joe Z does but he gets a whole 4 more HP. So like you said this way is much less expensive, lighter on the wallet, and almost a mirror image to what the others will do. If my car does not sell I am going to get the Megan Mid Pipes and I will run it on the Dyno with my Tanabe to see how it works out.

I wonder what mode he ran the car in and if it also had the intake or anything else on it? i will post and ask....

so how is a "true" dual exhaust noted if you send them through and X pipe? wouldn't "true" dual mean they do not touch each other straight back to the muffler?

Thanks
Mike
Mike

I was not directly comparing my exhaust setup to the JoeZ series but making more of a general comparison as it's also based on true dual and x-pipe design. I also did NOT at any point make more Torque than the car with the Borla. His is a much nicer setup and should flow a bit better than the Borla as it has less bends, but the info I did post should be helpful and reassuring for those people that don't have the cash for the nicest system out there and can be reassured of decent power gains and weight reduction.

Oh forgot to mention true dual can be with an X or H design and even other variations of that as long as the exhaust on both sides do not converge into one single pipe. Kind of a grey area, but hope that helps.

Last edited by caymandive; 06-10-08 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 04:29 PM
nick01
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can we get a video pretty please
Old 06-10-08, 04:40 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caymandive
Mike

I was not directly comparing my exhaust setup to the JoeZ series but making more of a general comparison as it's also based on true dual and x-pipe design. I also did NOT at any point make more Torque than the car with the Borla. His is a much nicer setup and should flow a bit better than the Borla as it has less bends, but the info I did post should be helpful and reassuring for those people that don't have the cash for the nicest system out there and can be reassured of decent power gains and weight reduction.

Oh forgot to mention true dual can be with an X or H design and even other variations of that as long as the exhaust on both sides do not converge into one single pipe. Kind of a grey area, but hope that helps.
I'm sorry I didn't say that you did I was just reading the info you posted thats all....I think you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear. I was looking at your Dyno compared to his thats all....your shows more torque then his does but his shows more HP. I am not doubting his stuff isn't nice I am just trying to figure this stuff out and how it works If I knew I wouldn't have asked and you seem to be more technical then I am

I have never had an exhaust, aftermarket I should say, that has had an X or Y in it and I was just curious how that is considered a "true" dual pipe

Thank you for your reply

Mike
Old 06-10-08, 05:27 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

I'm sorry I didn't say that you did I was just reading the info you posted thats all....I think you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear. I was looking at your Dyno compared to his thats all....your shows more torque then his does but his shows more HP. I am not doubting his stuff isn't nice I am just trying to figure this stuff out and how it works If I knew I wouldn't have asked and you seem to be more technical then I am

I have never had an exhaust, aftermarket I should say, that has had an X or Y in it and I was just curious how that is considered a "true" dual pipe

Thank you for your reply

Mike
Mike, you must be reading the dyno chart wrong. I at no point do I make more tq than his nor hp.

Last edited by caymandive; 06-10-08 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 05:41 PM
fluxx
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so for the 2is the megan midpipe should be 2.25" or 2.5" ?
Old 06-10-08, 05:43 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fluxx
so for the 2is the megan midpipe should be 2.25" or 2.5" ?
It's both. 2.25" on the dual pipes and 2.5" for the single pipe after they combine.
Old 06-10-08, 06:20 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

James-
I guess I am missing something here?

on that dyno sheet you posted it says 271.99 HP and 246.06 Torque? there are 2 runs on it correct? It says off road exhaust so I matched that with the "Race Performance" version w/ OUT CATS on his set up? Joe's shows about 4 more hp then yours ("or" what you have posted) does but shows less torque? I am not sure how I am reading them wrong. I am comparing the same info between both what you posted and what Joe has posted?? tell me what I am reading wrong please.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 06-10-08, 06:24 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

James-
I guess I am missing something here?

on that dyno sheet you posted it says 271.99 HP and 246.06 Torque? there are 2 runs on it correct? It says off road exhaust so I matched that with the "Race Performance" version w/ OUT CATS on his set up? Joe's shows about 4 more hp then yours ("or" what you have posted) does but shows less torque? I am not sure how I am reading them wrong. I am comparing the same info between both what you posted and what Joe has posted?? tell me what I am reading wrong please.

Thanks,
Mike
Ahh I gotcha man. I didn't realize you were actually comparing directly to what JoeZ posted. Definitly don't do that! Same type of dyno I know (dynojet), but none are the same so comparison is not a good idea.

Quick Reply: Megan Midpipe Installed!(56k beware)