Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What built tranny are you GTE auto guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-09, 05:44 PM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvrGS300
The holes on the GS rubber isolator sit more closer to center than they do on the Supra/Aristo making the bolt holes not line up. Your GS driveshaft will not bolt up to that. You can take your GS driveshaft to a machine shop and have the holes made a little bigger to be able to bolt up to the 4 speed. That is what I ended up doing because I didn't have time to wait or $400 bucks for a supra driveshaft at the time.
So you just had the holes elongated? I have a full machine shop at work, maybe I'll come up with something for us GS guys.
Old 02-27-09, 05:57 PM
SlvrGS300
Lead Lap

yes that is all that I had done.
Old 03-03-09, 06:25 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess Jeff doesn't want to reveal his tranny buildup. I've PM him and so far, no response. I was hoping that we can all help each other to push the limits of our car, but it seems like I was wrong..
Old 03-06-09, 01:17 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
I guess Jeff doesn't want to reveal his tranny buildup. I've PM him and so far, no response. I was hoping that we can all help each other to push the limits of our car, but it seems like I was wrong..
Everyone uses the same things to build them. FWIW - BoostLogic doesn't build their own trannies, they have a place that does it for them. I'm not saying they don't hold power as they do but it's not like BL has some secret everyone else doesn't know about or that can't be replicated. Also, I'm not bashing BL as Kean and Zohair are cool guys, just that there are options out there.

Secondly, if you ever open up a "built" trans, it's nothing any competent transmission shop couldn't do. A good friend had a BoostLogic built transmission fail on him and when he took it to the transmission shop to have it rebuilt they were amazed that he paid $2500 for what had been done and told him they can build the same exact trans for him for $1100 including parts and labor with 3 day turnaround and a warranty. He had the BL trans fixed and hasn't had issues with the trans since, which includes running consistent 10's.

Anyways...to answer your question, call up Bendix and fit out what upgraded/heavy use parts they have for whatever trans you are trying to build. You may be surprised whats out there. Also, as far as a valve body upgrade, it's just modifying oil passages, you can do it yourself if you know what your doing.
Old 03-06-09, 08:49 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by macd7919
Everyone uses the same things to build them. FWIW - BoostLogic doesn't build their own trannies, they have a place that does it for them. I'm not saying they don't hold power as they do but it's not like BL has some secret everyone else doesn't know about or that can't be replicated. Also, I'm not bashing BL as Kean and Zohair are cool guys, just that there are options out there.

Secondly, if you ever open up a "built" trans, it's nothing any competent transmission shop couldn't do. A good friend had a BoostLogic built transmission fail on him and when he took it to the transmission shop to have it rebuilt they were amazed that he paid $2500 for what had been done and told him they can build the same exact trans for him for $1100 including parts and labor with 3 day turnaround and a warranty. He had the BL trans fixed and hasn't had issues with the trans since, which includes running consistent 10's.

Anyways...to answer your question, call up Bendix and fit out what upgraded/heavy use parts they have for whatever trans you are trying to build. You may be surprised whats out there. Also, as far as a valve body upgrade, it's just modifying oil passages, you can do it yourself if you know what your doing.
Thanks for clarifying this information for me. While I have knowledge in terms of building a motor and suspension, I've never taken a transmission apart to examine it. I'm sure that if I was to watch someone build it, I can build the second one myself. Also, if it's not a problem, could you PM me your number as I want to ask you a few question about the transmission build that your friend had. Thanks.
Old 03-07-09, 11:52 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It's not that I didn't reveal . I just don't think my trans builder is going to be building another one of these anytime soon. He's too busy with other drag car customers most of the time. He just managed to squeeze me in for a favor, and even that took 2 months to complete!
Old 03-08-09, 03:10 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
It's not that I didn't reveal . I just don't think my trans builder is going to be building another one of these anytime soon. He's too busy with other drag car customers most of the time. He just managed to squeeze me in for a favor, and even that took 2 months to complete!
Come on Jeff, help me out.. Ask him to squeeze me in also. I've got plenty of time to wait.. Heck, my car is not going anywhere since last october. I rather build the tranny right the first time around then to have it rebuilt again. Oh, btw. the current blown tranny in my supra is a BL built one. Not that good of a build. Jeff, if you don't mind, could you PM me how much it was total for him to build the tranny. Thanks.
Old 03-08-09, 05:35 PM
ChrisT88
Rookie

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
Come on Jeff, help me out.. Ask him to squeeze me in also. I've got plenty of time to wait.. Heck, my car is not going anywhere since last october. I rather build the tranny right the first time around then to have it rebuilt again. Oh, btw. the current blown tranny in my supra is a BL built one. Not that good of a build. Jeff, if you don't mind, could you PM me how much it was total for him to build the tranny. Thanks.
I have heard the boost logics have gone through some changes in the past. Just how old is yours?

Also, have you considered a Turbo 400? I believe soundperformance sells a pretty stout conversion for $3500. The GM trans also has a lot of room for upgrades...
Old 03-08-09, 06:15 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChrisT88
I have heard the boost logics have gone through some changes in the past. Just how old is yours?

Also, have you considered a Turbo 400? I believe soundperformance sells a pretty stout conversion for $3500. The GM trans also has a lot of room for upgrades...
I do not really like the Turbo 400 since it robs gobs of power and sucks around town. That transmission is built for drag racing only. I use my supra for road racing and spirited drives. As far as how old my BL transmission is, I bought my supra about a year ago and the previous owner had it built back in 2007. Therefore, I'm going to give the toyota tranny one last chance and then after that, I think that I might install a dog box.
Old 04-13-09, 10:23 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry to bring back a old thread. But I've finally gotten around to opening up my transmission for a rebuild. I however is set back now since my supplier just informed me that he can no longer get Koleen steels for the A341E transmission anymore... does anyone know who might have some left over that I can purchase from? Also jeff, you mind pointing me in the right direction where you got your carbon Fiber bands and custom sprags from? The last two transmission I've torn apart, it looks like the second gear sprag is the weak link. I know you've gotten a contact to who made those custom sprags for you. I wished someone would just make some billet sprags for these transmission already.