Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turboing a GS400 Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 11:00 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once thought of taking XJR's supercharger and adapt to a 1UZ as it's both 4.0, but that's as far as similarity goes...

thought Lextreme made a pre 98 1UZ 4.0 - 5.7 kit but only yield low 300 numbers?
Old 06-19-08, 05:40 AM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TruPlaya26
$30-$40k Really? A local performance shop told me they can fabricate a twin turbo for my GS430 for a little over $10k ...
There's SO much more to it than slamming a turbo it onto a motor, though. I could write you a parts list that you blow your mind. Fwiw, MVP Motorsports can get you a turbo kit for less than $10k, but that gets you only so far. Now you need internals, cams, headwork, ecu.. the list goes on. Most folks go into something like this with only partial funds when in fact they should have a boatload of cash in reserve for when things pop up that they didn't think about. Jeff's post covered that in spades.

Eric
Old 06-19-08, 05:44 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
I once thought of taking XJR's supercharger and adapt to a 1UZ as it's both 4.0, but that's as far as similarity goes...

thought Lextreme made a pre 98 1UZ 4.0 - 5.7 kit but only yield low 300 numbers?
...not sure, maybe. I haven't read what the power levels are. Even so, 330whp is fine by me and a lot of times they are just measuring those power levels on a stock GS4 (240whp) with the 1UZ 4.0 - 5.7. Add intake, exhaust, headers and tuning module and you WILL see maybe 380whp...completely N/A; remember that's 475HP @ the crank! Sometimes all of us get so caught up in WHP #'s (eventhough that is the REAL figure to look at) that we lose sight of just how much power the car is producing @ the crank! I mean c'mon with the above setup, setting you back $10K it will be one of the highest N/A production cars around. I think the new Zo6 is 500hp, can't compare the AMG's because they are supercharged etc etc. I see no reason why a 380whp GS4 can't do low 13's in the 1/4 (~13.2) assuming you can put the power down to the ground effectively. (Based on various members here running 1/4's in the 14.0 - 14.2 range with just an intake and exhaust; probably around 260whp.) Another 120whp should drop you at least .7 - .9 seconds. If this is true I would not mind this setup!

Great write up BTW Jeff!!!

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 06-19-08 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-19-08, 05:55 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Oh, one other question. Can it be possible that an N/A car producing 400whp do better in the 1/4 mile than a turbo'd car producing 600whp? Considering ALL variables are the same (same car, tires, track conditions, driver etc etc. I think so because the N/A car would produce more instantaneous torque (even moreso over a supercharger) and HP whereas the 600whp turbo'd car would have to wait a little for full boost to hit. ***On the street, a road race is a WHOLE different story and the turbo'd car would probably wipe the floor with the N/A car.***

Afterall I don't think there has EVER been a member here that did this 4.0L - 5.7L kit and ran the 1/4 mile. It would be very interesting to see how something like this would do.

Your inputs/comments are vary much appreciated on this. I am NOT a guru when it comes to modding or 1/4 mile runs. I am just throwing this out there for someone to either approve or correct me. Thanks
Old 06-19-08, 06:44 AM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
If that's with install, testing & tuning then jump on that deal and don't look back!!! TT GS4's are MONSTERS with gobs of torque.
Yea they told me the price includes everything and that he would place two small turbos underneath the car, not in the engine bay and that there would be no turbo lag. He said they would spool up extremely quickly and provide instant torque.

Honestly if I had the $10k to spend my car would be in the shop right now lol but I don't have that kinda money right now, I'm only 20 and still in college !!

Originally Posted by c0wboy
There's SO much more to it than slamming a turbo it onto a motor, though. I could write you a parts list that you blow your mind. Fwiw, MVP Motorsports can get you a turbo kit for less than $10k, but that gets you only so far. Now you need internals, cams, headwork, ecu.. the list goes on. Most folks go into something like this with only partial funds when in fact they should have a boatload of cash in reserve for when things pop up that they didn't think about. Jeff's post covered that in spades.

Eric
I don't really know about turbos or internals or anything like that but he told me that for a little over $10k they could make a TT system for my GS430 and I could drive right outta the shop and use as a daily driver ... I don't know how much power it would be putting down though ???
Old 06-19-08, 06:56 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Just a few things to think about if you're planning to go out and be a pioneer. Not discouraging you or anything, just giving you a quick reality check
How about I buy the parts and you come build it for me! Since you already have the expertise it wouldn't take long! I also need whatever job it is that you have! Working for family doesn't always pay off

Last edited by kevs98GS4; 06-19-08 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-19-08, 07:21 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kevs98GS4
How about I buy the parts and you come build it for me! Since you already have the expertise it wouldn't take long! I also need whatever job it is that you have! Working for family doesn't always pay off
At least it probably WILL one day when it's yours or partly yours.
Old 06-19-08, 07:29 AM
kevs98GS4
Lexus Test Driver

At least it probably WILL one day when it's yours or partly yours.
that one seems to take FOREVER! I've been working here over 6 years now!

I'm going to check with a local shop that does some turbos and supercharging mostly on Toyota's and Lexi to see what they say today. I will report back later.
Old 06-19-08, 07:54 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, one other question. Can it be possible that an N/A car producing 400whp do better in the 1/4 mile than a turbo'd car producing 600whp? Considering ALL variables are the same (same car, tires, track conditions, driver etc etc. I think so because the N/A car would produce more instantaneous torque (even moreso over a supercharger) and HP whereas the 600whp turbo'd car would have to wait a little for full boost to hit.
depends on how the turbo sets up.
My eclipse full boosts at about 2.8k rpm, after I launched the car, it's already over 2.8krpm...
Old 06-19-08, 09:35 AM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very true, you got that done cheap Jeff. Did you tune the AEM yourself too? Also you forgot to mention with the V8 not only are the parts much, much more expensive but then you have to buy 2 each of those very expensive parts! Two manifolds, two turbos, two wastegates, two BOV's, dual exhaust, coating is more with twins, as is heat shields, chrome, etc... More pistons, rods.. My point from the start is nobody is going to turbo a GS400 and skimp out on the relativly cheap part of the setup which is building hte motor with forged pistons. This isn't a GS300 where you can spend under 3 grand to turbo.
Old 06-19-08, 09:41 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Rock-a-Lex;3615793]Oh, one other question. Can it be possible that an N/A car producing 400whp do better in the 1/4 mile than a turbo'd car producing 600whp? Considering ALL variables are the same (same car, tires, track conditions, driver etc etc. I think so because the N/A car would produce more instantaneous torque (even moreso over a supercharger) and HP whereas the 600whp turbo'd car would have to wait a little for full boost to hit. ***On the street, a road race is a WHOLE different story and the turbo'd car would probably wipe the floor with the N/A car.***

One thing you also forget to note is that most TT'd cars would have changed their TC to optimize spooling up of the turbo. My "Stock" TT produces 8#of boost at 3k. My TC stall is at 2400. So as far as instantaneous torque, I still get it due to my "stock" bottom end and then it feels like a jet plane from there (it really puts you back in your seat)

As far as what Cowboy has said, I agree totally. Some people don't go to the extreme of buying cams, but if you gonna do something you might as well TRY to do something right. Most of the gents with FI'd GS4s don't have cams, look at Morris and TTurbopimp and they are at the 500+ WHP range. Both needed fully built bottom ends, and some elaborate fuel setup, one used just a piggy back S-AFC, the other full standalone. Just wonder what a set of good cams would do. Any volunteers?
Old 06-19-08, 10:34 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Rock-a-Lex, comparing a NA car with 400hp or a boosted car with 600hp. The 600hp car is pretty much always going to reel it in in a drag race with all other variables equal(vehicle/weight/suspension). Torque curve and turbo lag does not really make that big of a difference when you have that much time to be in full throttle. Horsepower is going to be king in a straight line race. I say all variables equal because if not, for example a gutted out Civic making only 350hp is still going to lay a spanking on say a 550-600hp supra due to the weight issue alone. That is just straight line drag racing. Now if you're talking about road race/track race/autocross then the NA car may have a possibility of taking the lead. The turbo car might take a while longer to spool, and when it does the power is unleashed violently and the tires will spin causing an spinout/slide/drift. In the NA car you can target the throttle accordingly to how much you need, it won't suddenly surge power like on a turbo setup. So in every case it really all depends on the kind of racing and how the car is setup. But usually higher hp car will win on drag, and sometimes but not always a lower powered NA car might have the advantage on a road course.

Originally Posted by adamgamz
very true, you got that done cheap Jeff. Did you tune the AEM yourself too?
Yep...built, tuned, setup, modded everything myself
It was a good learning experience and also saved me quite a bit of money. Now I can use that $10k+ that was supposed to go into shop labor for cruising and gas money. I guess that kind of helps me offset my bad gas mileage of 10mpg lol
Old 06-19-08, 12:07 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Thanks for clearing that up Jeff!

One final question though...why is it (and how is it) that various AMG model mercedes (heavier than our cars) are able to do 12.8 second 1/4 mile sprints with their supercharged V8's outputting only 375whp (469 crank hp). If I added 100whp to my current car I'm not sure if I would be able to drop a full second or more off my 1/4 mile. I guess some cars are just not "meant" to be fast.

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 06-19-08 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-19-08, 12:23 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you seen how much torque those things have lol. They use the roots type supercharger which gives a crazy kick off the line. I drove one of those things one time with traction control off and all it would do is smoke the damn tires. The freaking car won't go anywhere and will just spin in place if you go more than half throttle lol!

It's different than a turbo where there is lag. The guys here that supercharge the GS4 use a centrifugal supercharger which is basically half of a turbo bolted onto a gear housing connected to the serpentine belt....so a centrifugal supercharger also takes time to spool up. If you manage to mount a roots type charger on a GS4, then I'm sure you can get similar results.
Old 06-19-08, 12:36 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Have you seen how much torque those things have lol. They use the roots type supercharger which gives a crazy kick off the line. I drove one of those things one time with traction control off and all it would do is smoke the damn tires. The freaking car won't go anywhere and will just spin in place if you go more than half throttle lol!

It's different than a turbo where there is lag. The guys here that supercharge the GS4 use a centrifugal supercharger which is basically half of a turbo bolted onto a gear housing connected to the serpentine belt....so a centrifugal supercharger also takes time to spool up. If you manage to mount a roots type charger on a GS4, then I'm sure you can get similar results.
sorta like they do in Austrailia. I did a lot of research and found MANY people over in Austrailia modding the hell out of the V8 Gs's with the Eton M90 roots style supercharger (I think that's what it's called); it's the same one used on the older supercharged Ford Thunderbirds and they are getting crazy results! But...
a. I don't have any good shops where I live to install and tune something like this
b. I feel a little "off" about spending that much $$$ on something coming from overseas; suppose I have a problem with the parts. A phone call will probably cost me $10/min. lol.

Quick Reply: Turboing a GS400 Questions?