Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turboing a GS400 Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-08, 03:48 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c0wboy
You guys need this. Bring money, drop it off at the door step, you'll get a call when it's done.

Eric
Hey is that a Supra with a V8? Or is that a crazy modified GS front end with some kinda 1-3UZ v8 TT setup with a lot of chrome? Shouldn't this be in a Supra site? hahaha
Old 06-24-08, 03:20 PM
G4inRich
Rookie

WOW.. 30-40K... good luck man.
Old 06-24-08, 06:05 PM
TheKoosh
Driver

Originally Posted by morris
If I had it to do over I would not FI the GS400, it is the wrong platform to start with, while there is more aftermarket support now than there was when I started fooling around with it, I still think it is too expensive. For the money I spent on this car I could of bought a C6 Vette.
word to that, at the end of the day it's still a slushbox'd 3700lbs luxury sedan with a gigantic wheelbase. even with a boatload of horsepower, it's not streetable and can't handle for **** without a bunch of mods there too. no offense to the guys that have already dumped a bunch of money into their cars (cuz there'll always be someone that dumps a bunch of money into their car, no matter what the platform), but if outright performance is what you want, your best bet would be to sell the car and buy one straight up that's designed for it out of the box.

a C6 (as only one of many examples) would be faster, handle better, brake better, retain its resale value better and even get better gas mileage (given the performance) than a turbo'd GS4xx, nevermind the fact that it would just plain be more fun to drive. even better yet, get a crotch rocket

Last edited by TheKoosh; 06-24-08 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-24-08, 06:43 PM
adamgamz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good post Morris. Turboing a GS400 is nuts IMO, if you want a fast GS buy the 300, you can turbo it.. make 600RWHP+ for under 15K in mods, 25K and you have a nice 4 door luxury car making 600RWHP, thats what I did.

Originally Posted by morris
I thought I would add my 2 cents. As background I have been supercharged and turbocharged in my GS400, started with modest goals lost my mind and wanted more and more.

You can get a basic single turbo setup for around 10K with 7psi or so run a piggy back and call it a day.

twin turbo is cool, but I dont know if it really gives any advantage at the powerlevels we are talking.

If I had it to do over I would not FI the GS400, it is the wrong platform to start with, while there is more aftermarket support now than there was when I started fooling around with it, I still think it is too expensive. For the money I spent on this car I could of bought a C6 Vette.

Now if I had cash wanted to be diffferent and was going for cool sure a Twin turbo GS400 or SC400 would be great. I do like to be different but dont have cash, dont care about cool.

If you really want to FI your GS400 have limited funds and will be able to control your lust for power, I would get a bracket from Lextreme, buy a vortech some injectors and a intercooler and a piggy back and call it a day. Oh and a Wideband. You could get into this for under 10K very easily i would think and with a stock engine/tranny
Old 06-25-08, 02:01 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

So call me a nut!!
I bought a GS4 initially with no intention of getting more HP. I thought 300 HP would be enough. It was.... for a while, then I wanted more. I never thought of selling it to buy a GS3 just to upgrade the motor and make more power. I have been doing this project stepwise over many years and hate to see how much I dropped into it. Now it continues.

I love it when people ask if I have a "supra swap" in my car. I tell em no It's the V8 that I TT'd. Then they say "what the @@@@" and wanna take a closer look. It's just different.

Would I do it over again? I can't say............................

I am not done doing it.

peace out
Old 06-25-08, 02:31 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HI98GS
So call me a nut!!
I bought a GS4 initially with no intention of getting more HP. I thought 300 HP would be enough. It was.... for a while, then I wanted more. I never thought of selling it to buy a GS3 just to upgrade the motor and make more power. I have been doing this project stepwise over many years and hate to see how much I dropped into it. Now it continues.

I love it when people ask if I have a "supra swap" in my car. I tell em no It's the V8 that I TT'd. Then they say "what the @@@@" and wanna take a closer look. It's just different.

Would I do it over again? I can't say............................

I am not done doing it.

peace out

AWESOME! Some of us are proud of you for being different! Keep up the great work! Can you post some pics and/or videos?
Old 07-06-08, 06:52 PM
c0wboy
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HI98GS
Hey is that a Supra with a V8? Or is that a crazy modified GS front end with some kinda 1-3UZ v8 TT setup with a lot of chrome? Shouldn't this be in a Supra site? hahaha
Hahahha.. yeah, but I like to share. Here's few pics of the finished engine bay.

Eric
Old 07-07-08, 08:33 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

omfg i love that! the intake manifold looks great and the tt setup is wicked! BUT isn't that on a supra........headlights definitely look like a supra! could u take a head on shot?
Old 07-07-08, 08:13 PM
3UZFTE
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lextreme only offers the supercharger bracket for NON-VVT-i motors. From my experience and reading other hardships, i have found this. With complete a stock set up, you can run up to 7-8lbs of boost. Beyound this you have issues with factory ecu, and i can't imagine it would be a reliable set up if you are going for cheap, plus every time you came close to the red line, i would be a little worried.... Back to the thread, the factory crank and caps are not the problem. It is both connecting rods and pistons, as well as the walls are subject to have had a piston go through them everyonce and a while. C0wboy, i've said this before on other sites, i love that set up...
Old 07-15-08, 12:28 AM
C-Red
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
sorta like they do in Austrailia. I did a lot of research and found MANY people over in Austrailia modding the hell out of the V8 Gs's with the Eton M90 roots style supercharger (I think that's what it's called); it's the same one used on the older supercharged Ford Thunderbirds and they are getting crazy results! But...
a. I don't have any good shops where I live to install and tune something like this
b. I feel a little "off" about spending that much $$$ on something coming from overseas; suppose I have a problem with the parts. A phone call will probably cost me $10/min. lol.
I just had to comment on this, it made me laugh.
People all the way down here - overseas in Australia, buy stuff from all over the world, sometimes even without actually talking to anyone on the new fangled telecommunicator.
I have an M90 on my UCF11 and its really magic, I'm actually contemplating putting a late 1U into my GS and running an M112 on it. For the torque and the noise. I have a vvti 2JZGTE, but I think I'd like the V8 better every day.
Problem with twin turboing a 1U in anything is where to put the turbos. Its a huge problem. I would have no issues with running 16psi through an internally stock 1U with the right turbos, injectors, tuning and fuel pumps. Nothing quite like a ballsy twin turbo V8. My Laurel makes 834rwhp on an internally stock LS1 running 16psi.
Jash
PS - Here's a vid of the Laurel in Action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efqbTl5bT0E
Old 07-15-08, 07:42 AM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a lot of people are modding the 1uz in Australia, but they arent doing the GS400 which has the VVTI engine and OBDII and a cECU that ties into everything from dashboard, AC,Heat, seats etc.. A few guyes steside have FI the GS400 but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
Old 07-15-08, 08:24 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

C-Red - my comment wasn't to offend you or any of the Aussies however, I (in my opinion) am a little weary about sending money overseas to any country other than the US for any product. Now, that does NOT mean that there is no scamming here I just think it leaves anyone open to scamming that much easier when dealing with (any) foreign countries.