Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

For those of you with HKS Hi-Power Exhaust DB *Check In*

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-08, 08:25 AM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those of you with HKS Hi-Power Exhaust DB *Check In*

Hey guys,

well some of you might be aware that I received a ticket a little over 2 weeks ago for loud exhaust and illegal emissions (fujita f5).

I took my car to a state referee yesterday to get my car smogged and my exhaust noise tested.

The HKS HI Power exhaust's db noise was 81.2. I have the certificate in my car and I'm going to keep it in there as long as I have the exhaust to keep cops from facking with me.

This is just fyi for you guys who have received tickets cause of the HKS.
Old 06-25-08, 08:33 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

81 dB sounds way too low for the HKS Hi-Power. If I remember correctly, 75 dB is the sound level of a whisper, so I would expect the HKS to be easily over 90 dB.

Well, I guess it depends on the testing method. Did they do any WOT or high RPMs?
Old 06-25-08, 05:46 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

i personally think the hks hi-power is louder in the cabin then out side of the car.

lilflip did you leave your fujita on when you took your car in? also why don't you post up your certificate so that we can see what it looks like.
Old 06-25-08, 05:49 PM
Lilflip#2
Pole Position

They tested the exhaust at 4800 rpm. They had a little tool that they use to measure exactly where to put the machine at from the exhaust at the precise angle.
Old 06-25-08, 05:57 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by suicidesam
i personally think the hks hi-power is louder in the cabin then out side of the car.
That's only when you don't have the silencers. The silencers don't change the performance or the sound outside the car, but they change the drone inside the car a HUGE amount. I don't understand why HKS doesn't just weld the silencers inside EVERY exhaust before they ship it.
Old 06-25-08, 06:17 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Gernby
That's only when you don't have the silencers. The silencers don't change the performance or the sound outside the car, but they change the drone inside the car a HUGE amount. I don't understand why HKS doesn't just weld the silencers inside EVERY exhaust before they ship it.
true but the whole reason i bought the exhaust was because i wanted to hear it...don't get me wrong i'm not complaining about the noise i just wish it was a tad louder outside of the cabin. ***damn i miss the exhaust note from my hks titanium tip hi-power on my g35***
Old 06-25-08, 07:02 PM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

i hate to break it to you lilflip but technically ANY aftermarket exhaust in california is illegal, so just having that certificate is not going to prevent the cops from messing with you. If they really want to harass you they can pull u over for the simple fact that you have an aftermarket exhaust.

And before everyone starts yelling at me that this is not true, i have 2 friends that are cops that have confirmed this. technically any aftermarket exhaust is illegal in CA. Also, the HKS is a lot louder than 81 db, i used to have it and when i floored it it was loooooooud.
Old 06-25-08, 07:22 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts

Well, seeing as I'm looking at one right now, how loud exactly is it on a 250? It's hard to gauge the volume difference between the 250s and the 350s on Youtube.

And how bad is the drone. I refuse to drive another car that drones.
Old 06-25-08, 08:53 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,957 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Originally Posted by trinityhk
...And before everyone starts yelling at me that this is not true, i have 2 friends that are cops that have confirmed this...
Your cop friends are the typical Cali idiot cops. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING in the law for smog or equipment indicating an aftermarket exhaust is illegal. I would hand them their asses in court.
Old 06-25-08, 09:28 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

i hate to break it to you lilflip but technically ANY aftermarket exhaust in california is illegal, so just having that certificate is not going to prevent the cops from messing with you. If they really want to harass you they can pull u over for the simple fact that you have an aftermarket exhaust.

And before everyone starts yelling at me that this is not true, i have 2 friends that are cops that have confirmed this. technically any aftermarket exhaust is illegal in CA. Also, the HKS is a lot louder than 81 db, i used to have it and when i floored it it was loooooooud.
so every lifted truck with a banks exhaust system is illegal too or how about if my 68 vw bug needed a new exhaust is it illegal because i put on a new one that's not oem?

SEMAs California Exhaust Noise Testing Program Legislation Becomes Law - 2002

Thanks to a new SEMA-sponsored law, California automobile hobbyists are now better equipped to fight unfair exhaust noise citations issued by state law enforcement officers. Legislation recently signed into law by Governor Gray Davis to provide for a statewide exhaust noise testing program will allow motorists to prove they comply with state noise standards.

The new law requires smog check stations that provide referee functions to perform the test. These referee stations will issue certificates of compliance for vehicles when tests of their exhaust systems demonstrate that they emit no more than 95-decibels, under Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) test procedure J1169. Only those vehicles that have received a citation for an exhaust noise violation will be permitted to submit their vehicle for the test.

The law also allows courts to dismiss citations for exhaust systems that have been tested and for which a certificate of compliance has been issued. Fees charged to motorists for the certificates of compliance will pay for the testing program.

“The new law forces compliance with an objectively measured standard in a fair and predictable test. Through this procedure, motorists who drive vehicles legally equipped with modified exhaust systems can confirm that they comply with California’s exhaust noise standards,” said SEMA Director of Government Affairs Steve McDonald. “For years, the enforcement policy used by police officers deemed nearly all exhaust system modifications illegal, even where the noise levels were not excessive or unusual. That policy left exhaust system manufacturers, dealers and their customers without recourse.”

Last year, Governor Davis signed into law another SEMA-sponsored bill to compel law enforcement officials to tie exhaust system noise citations to the 95-decibel limit and to make clear that aftermarket modified exhaust systems are legal if they comply with the standard. However, exhaust noise citations were still primarily prosecuted solely based on the officer's subjective judgment. The new law should go far toward improving motorists’ odds of beating the ticket in court.

“Motorists who modify their vehicles for durability, appearance and performance prefer aftermarket exhaust systems,” McDonald added. “By establishing this evenhanded testing process, this law will serve to benefit consumers who favor these state-of-the-art products, the aftermarket industry which markets them and even police officers who are charged with enforcing the law.”
http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60106
Old 06-25-08, 09:34 PM
kidluvsole
Pole Position

lol you guys are nuts....but its cool tho..
Old 06-25-08, 11:41 PM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Your cop friends are the typical Cali idiot cops. There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING in the law for smog or equipment indicating an aftermarket exhaust is illegal. I would hand them their asses in court.
Well first off they are not idiots thank you. I have known both of these guys since I was a little kid and in no way shape or ************ form are they idiots. Not every cop out here is a gun slingin macho man idiot like you see on the news and on cops. There are quite a few officers that I know out here that are completely by the book and very good at their jobs without being idiots. It says you live in georgia, do you live in georgia or california? If you want to start generalizing I suppose I could say all people in georgia are southern slack-jawed yokels but im guessing you would beg to differ? Do you know all the vehicle codes in california? Let me just give u a couple sections of the california vehicle codes for you to look at:

VC Section 27151 No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.

VC Section 27150 Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

VC Section 27206 For the purposes of Section 27200, the following noise limits shall apply to any other motor vehicle, not specified in this article, manufactured:

(1) After 1967, and before 1973 ...........................................................86 dba

(2) After 1972, and before 1975 ...........................................................84 dba

(3) After 1974...........................................................80 dba

So first off let me say that if your car was tested and it hit 81 db then its technically not allowed. Secondly if you have any aftermarket exhaust and a police officer hears it, he can interpreted it as "excessive or unusual noise" weither it hits 80db or not and enforce VC 27150 and/or 27151. Obviously it's the cops choice as to weither or not hes going to enforce it, but yea. Think about it. EVERY aftermarket exhaust is louder than stock which means EVERY aftermarket exhaust can be interpreted as excessive or unusual.

The 80 db is just a LIMIT, if the cops thinks the exhaust is unusual sounding or excessive he can still write you up even if its not above 80 db

Ultimately its up to the officer. It doesnt make them "idiots" if they perceive an exhaust to be excessive, they are just doing their job and depending on the area trying to keep the noise down in residential areas. For example I live at the start of a canyon and people will always race thru the canyon at 4am, pedal to the metal and it wakes me up every time they zoom by my house. You can always tell the aftermarket exhausts because they are louder. Some you can tell are waaaay over 80db and some you can tell are def not, but both are equally as disturbing to me while im trying to sleep. If you heard what i heard on a nightly basis you would agree that every aftermarket exhaust that passes by when they are racing is excessive, and some of them sound very very unusual. If a cop sat at the end of the canyon every night, i guarentee he could tag at least 10 cars a night.

Last edited by trinityhk; 06-26-08 at 12:19 AM.
Old 06-25-08, 11:55 PM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by panyo64
Well, seeing as I'm looking at one right now, how loud exactly is it on a 250? It's hard to gauge the volume difference between the 250s and the 350s on Youtube.

And how bad is the drone. I refuse to drive another car that drones.
the drone when ur sittin in the car is HORRIBLE
Old 06-26-08, 12:04 AM
trinityhk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by suicidesam
so every lifted truck with a banks exhaust system is illegal too or how about if my 68 vw bug needed a new exhaust is it illegal because i put on a new one that's not oem?

Depending on the db level and the weight of the truck, it might be. As for ur 68 bug, thats a very interesting situation. obviously you cannot put a brand new oem exhaust on there since they do not make them any more so you have no choice but to go aftermarket. Since ur car is a pre 1970 model, the noise limit is different:

VC Section 27201 For the purposes of Section 27200, the noise limit of 92 dbA shall apply to any motorcycle manufactured before 1970

Seeing that the noise limit is a lot higher the cops will give you more leniency(sp?) and if you ever do get pulled over for it, you can always explain that they do not make the oem exhausts anymore. Obviously its up to the cop at that point but yea....im hoping you are seeing what im saying. the old bugs were generally loud to begin with so they probably wouldnt even say nething. Most of the time cops are looking for cars that normally are very quiet but now make more noise than stock.
Old 06-26-08, 12:06 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

the drone when ur sittin in the car is HORRIBLE
i wouldn't say horrible, but it is loud.

some get used to it, some don't. i for one have.

however, it's nothing you can't cure w/ the silencers.

or by cranking up your favorite tune.

Quick Reply: For those of you with HKS Hi-Power Exhaust DB *Check In*