Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Plan for my new GS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-08, 04:47 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusK
jw is takin the air box out ok? i was just gonna remove the intake box so it increases airflow into the engine. kinda lookin for a cheap way for improving my gas mileage..
No, taking the airbox out is not ok if you don't have a filter element to put in it's place. You really shouldn't mess with the intake on your car unless you are going to do some sort of fuel management with it. If you just want a little bit more flow get a K&N drop in filter though it won't really do anything except be reusable.
Old 07-06-08, 09:17 PM
Yawn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yawn
So, is there a manufacturer that makes a cat back system capable of connecting the Tanabe exhaust with the S+S headers or should I just go to my muffler shop and have them build one for me? I assume this can be done at relatively low cost.
Also, if I do not get a cat back system, can I just connect the S+S Headers and Tanabe exhaust directly to the stock y bent Lexus exhaust pipes?
Old 07-06-08, 09:39 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yawn
Also, if I do not get a cat back system, can I just connect the S+S Headers and Tanabe exhaust directly to the stock y bent Lexus exhaust pipes?
You COULD do that but then you are defeating the purpose of your headers. Your exhaust will only flow as much as the smallest/most restrictive part of the exhaust. If you install headers and leave the restrictive cat back on you really aren't going to make much if any power. If you want something thats going to be quiet with your headers try looking into the Borla exhaust (even though it's just a rear section) or to get the best of performance and low sound, try a Tanabe Touring Medallion.
Old 07-07-08, 05:23 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
You COULD do that but then you are defeating the purpose of your headers. Your exhaust will only flow as much as the smallest/most restrictive part of the exhaust. If you install headers and leave the restrictive cat back on you really aren't going to make much if any power. If you want something thats going to be quiet with your headers try looking into the Borla exhaust (even though it's just a rear section) or to get the best of performance and low sound, try a Tanabe Touring Medallion.
That's odd, I remember a post where someone here did a before and after dyno with just the addition of the S&S headers and got 17whp. He did NOT have a full catback exhaust either.
Old 07-07-08, 10:34 AM
Yawn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by macd7919
The way that I am understanding it, I can use the Tanabe Touring set up for the back end but then, won't I need some exhaust piping to connect the Tanabe back end to the S+S headers?

Thanks for all the input really beneficial.
Old 07-07-08, 10:41 AM
Yawn
Driver School Candidate

Also, does anyone know how much Lexus charges for their O2 sensor wiring harness? I was going to get the longer wiring set up to eliminate having to mod together a longer wiring harness, I want to make this look as clean as possible under the hood.