Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Plan for my new GS400

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 05:13 PM
Yawn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plan for my new GS400

Well, just inherited a 98 GS400 from a family member with fairly low mileage. It drives great but I want more. My first step, improve the engine airflow. I was thinking about adding the following:

1. SRT Intake - Seen many positive reviews of this and it seems like an easy set up. Primary question is are they legal in California? I saw one note in a thread saying that K&N Intakes were legal in Cali but that SRTs are not anyone know if this is true?
2. SS Headers - I have read about the cracking but have not seen anything regarding this problem since the second gen headers were introduced. Has anyone been able to confirm that the second gen welds are in fact better for me?
3. Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust - I love the sound of this exhaust however, I see on their website they also manufacture a Super Medalion Hyper which is compatible with my GS400. Is there any reason why I only see people on the forum using the Touring vs. the Hyper set up??

Other questions I have, can the SS Headers be a direct bolt on to the Tanabe Exhaust?

If I choose to add turbo or other mods after the fact, will I need to scrap my SRT ECU in favor of a more advanced AF monitor/ECU.

Thanks for any input up front before I decide to take the plunge.
Old 07-02-08, 07:55 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. The SRT intake is not legal. You would pass the obd scan but not the visual. You could take the intake off for testing and then re-install it. (Remember though, this intake also requires the ECU to be wired). You could also go with the K&N plus safc and make more power than the SRT. You could get away with the visual if you hide your safc. The SRT is a great bang for the buck and right out of the box, no tuning required. You just install and go. You could spend more on the safc and tuning, but you will also get more power, and the safc is adjustable if you change your setup in the future. Do some research and you will see that members have gotten very good results from both setups. It is up to you which you prefer and is best for you under your circumstances.

3. I think it just has to do with which look and especially the sound you prefer. I doubt either makes significantly more power than the other. I personally have the medallion touring on my GS3 and I love the sound and the look. I have heard it on a GS4 on the dyno and it sounds great. It has a mean growl to it but nothing at all or similar to a rufstang.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-08, 09:44 PM
Pearlexus
Driver School Candidate

The SRT is definitely not CARB (California Air Resourse Board) legal. I got pulled over for thumping my 12 inch subs to some Hyphy Music on a Saturday night and the cops told me to pop the hood. They were cracking down on the illegal mods in one section of San Jose that night apparently. Freakin' profiling if you ask me. Every car they pulled over was Asian Import with an Asian driving it.. Anyway, They wrote me up with a fix it ticket for the intake, as it did not have a CARB sticker on it. As far as getting it smogged. It will pass the smog test but not the visual. However, many smog testers will overlook the visual, but ask them first before you pay. I go to a SMOG station in San Jose and they always pass my visual with the SRT. Needless to say just don't get pulled over. A cop who is a friend of mine told me I could of refused to pop the hood because he did not have any probable cause to look under the hood. So there you have it!
Old 07-03-08, 10:59 AM
Yawn
Driver School Candidate

So other than the SRT all other parts I am looking at are CARB compliant correct?

Seems easy enough to remove it for smog test, or find a guy who will look the other way on it for a small fee or because he just doesn't care. As far as not getting pulled over for speeding, that is another whole ball of wax I will deal with when it comes up.
Old 07-03-08, 01:47 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Probably not exactly legal, but if you really wanted it to pass. Can't you buy a cheam AEM/Injen intake, peel off the CARB sticker from that and slap it on the SRT? If the cop pops the hood, they will see the carb sticker there. Or if you want to go overboard, put the AEM/Injen sticker on the pipe as well lol. I doubt they have a catalog on hand of what every different possible intake looks like. If the car is properly tuned(which the SRT is because it comes with the signal modifier box), it should emit no more emissions than the stock intake.
Old 07-03-08, 02:58 PM
Yawn
Driver School Candidate

That is also a great idea I am positive that none of the smog folks/cops would really know the difference. Wonder what the cheapest CARB stickered item I can get is. Off to search the internet!!
Old 07-03-08, 03:11 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yawn
That is also a great idea I am positive that none of the smog folks/cops would really know the difference. Wonder what the cheapest CARB stickered item I can get is. Off to search the internet!!
Oh they know, they have a book to look up these things, but some just don't care.

Also, the headers do not bolt up to the Tanabe exhaust because they connect to the cats and then the cats hook up to the Y pipe/mid muffler, then the exhaust hooks up to that.
FYI, headers are not legal, but they are hard to see. As long as you don't get sent to the ref, then you are ok.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 07-03-08 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-03-08, 03:21 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
Oh they know, they have a book to look up these things, but some just don't care.

Also, the headers do not bolt up to the Tanabe exhaust because they connect to the catsn then the cats hook up to the Y pipe/mid muffler, then the exhaust hooks up to that.
FYI, headers are not legal, but they are hard to see. As long as you don't get sent to the ref, then you are ok.
what he said
exhausts for the most part are cosmetic. as many have mentioned, most purchase for the sound. i chose the MT over the blitz for the tip, sound, and cat back.
Old 07-03-08, 04:34 PM
Yawn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS FONZy

Also, the headers do not bolt up to the Tanabe exhaust because they connect to the cats and then the cats hook up to the Y pipe/mid muffler, then the exhaust hooks up to that.
Right so all I have to do is find a set up of cats/y pipe that can hook up to the headers on one end and the tanabe exhaust on the other right? I assume that is what you are telling me.
Old 07-03-08, 04:49 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yawn
Right so all I have to do is find a set up of cats/y pipe that can hook up to the headers on one end and the tanabe exhaust on the other right? I assume that is what you are telling me.
No, what am saying is Tanabe exhaust or any exhaust is not a true cat back system, unless you get a custom Y-X or H pipe. There are two Y pipes on the GS. One faces the engine and one the rear section.

Headers and Tanabe exhaust will install without any fabrication or any additional parts, but you will not have a true cat back system.

On this pic, see the red circle? That's where the Tanabe exhaust begins. See how to the right of the picture there is a Y pipe from factory still there?
Attached Thumbnails Plan for my new GS400-img_1650.jpg  

Last edited by GS FONZy; 07-03-08 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-03-08, 04:50 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Here is a pic of the Y pipe right before the cats.
Attached Thumbnails Plan for my new GS400-img_1651.jpg  
Old 07-03-08, 04:52 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Now here is a pic of a GS with a custom X pipe. See how the stock Y pipe is no longer there? The only way to have a true cat back system.
Attached Thumbnails Plan for my new GS400-photo-0004-283-29.jpg  
Old 07-03-08, 05:56 PM
Yawn
Driver School Candidate

So, is there a manufacturer that makes a cat back system capable of connecting the Tanabe exhaust with the S+S headers or should I just go to my muffler shop and have them build one for me? I assume this can be done at relatively low cost.
Old 07-03-08, 06:21 PM
perrychad
Driver

man am i glad i dont live in cali. here in the south you just have to know somebody, that knows somebody, that inspects cars and you can do pretty much whatever. so i have been told
Old 07-04-08, 04:43 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

jw is takin the air box out ok? i was just gonna remove the intake box so it increases airflow into the engine. kinda lookin for a cheap way for improving my gas mileage..

Quick Reply: Plan for my new GS400