Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Boosting your IS go with a custom kit or buy from LMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 06:27 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile Boosting your IS go with a custom kit or buy from LMS

We know there are virtually no options for your car in this area.

So would you have a custom manifold built to go TURBO or would you just go with the available S/C kits that are on the street??

I would think that one could build this for much less then 5k

Throw out your ideas and what you think! I want to figure away to make this work and be cost effective for the 2IS

thanks!
Old 07-05-08, 06:44 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think the biggest problem would be reprogramming the stock ECU, unless you went with a completely new stand alone system..but then i think it would get really expensive.
Old 07-05-08, 08:10 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yea pretty much all of my research has proven this but I want to see what others may have come up with
Old 07-05-08, 08:17 AM
T-Rex06
Ho Motorsports

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SebsIS350
i think the biggest problem would be reprogramming the stock ECU, unless you went with a completely new stand alone system..but then i think it would get really expensive.
Unfortunately, it is pretty much next to impossible hack the ECU. A cheaper route will be to use a piggy back but you are more than likely open up a can of worms with stability issues.

Terrance
Old 07-05-08, 08:22 AM
nick01
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone now how much it is to get your ecu changed to JDM ecu
Old 07-05-08, 10:57 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I strongly suspect that since there are multiple ecus in the car that all talk to each other it would not be practical to put a JDM ECU in a US car.

And if you could you'd be able to change your supercharger from 5lbs of boost all the way up to...
5.8 lbs of boost. Woo hoo.

It simply makes no financial sense to put forced induction on the car. If your 250 is too slow get a 350. If your 350 is too slow get an IS-F. If you want to risk your engine for more power, just put nitrous on it.

Jeremy has run a 65 shot without issue, and it'll add as much or more power than either supercharger kit for the car for THOUSANDS less.
Old 07-07-08, 05:05 PM
b00st
Driver School Candidate

There are always Haltech or Motech
Old 07-07-08, 05:14 PM
FMA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by b00st
There are always Haltech or Motech
what do those offer?
Old 07-07-08, 05:37 PM
KMRIS350
Driver

Originally Posted by FMA
what do those offer?
Im not sure about motech but Im sure they are both a piggyback system.

http://www.haltech.com/e6x.htm
Old 07-07-08, 06:35 PM
b00st
Driver School Candidate

Haltech and Motech are complete standalone ecu system. They are about 1000+ with harnesses. You can control just about everything in a car. The unit itself is not expensive, but tunning and finding someone who knows how to tune it is hard.
Old 07-07-08, 07:01 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Haltech and Motech are complete standalone ecu system. They are about 1000+ with harnesses. You can control just about everything in a car. The unit itself is not expensive, but tunning and finding someone who knows how to tune it is hard.
Do they support direct injection and two different sets of injectors (port and direct)?

Last I checked nobody did. That was a while ago, so that certainly might have changed.

But even a standalone won't help terribly much with a 12:1 CR... you could pull some timing I guess and maybe get an extra lb or two... you could lean the fuel to get a bit more NA power but that'd be a bad idea if boosting the motor.
Old 07-07-08, 07:19 PM
b00st
Driver School Candidate

I am not too sure on if will support two different sets of injectors. I know they will support direct injection. I used to know the guy who is the master tech for Haltech and he can pretty much do everything with a Haltech. Haltech is not big anymore in USA, but they are commonly used in Austrilia. Here is the thing I don't understand, I am pretty sure there are someone that's shooting nitrous on this forum, how are they tricking the ECU? They are essentially boosting to get that temp HP. If you can run nitrous safely, I don't see why turbo would be hard if you are not boosting too high even with 12:1. RSXs are 13.5:1 I think, and their supercharger works just fine.
Old 07-07-08, 07:22 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Apparently not- somebody emailed Haltech and asked em in this thread below-

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.ph...&#entry1245967

""Unfortunately we don't have any plug in units available. Normally, I would suggest using one of our flying lead wire in kits. However, If I'm correct your car has direct injection, and unfortunately we don't have drivers for those injectors."

That's dated January of this year

There's also mention in the thread of problems supporting drive-by-wire vehicles (which the 2IS is)

"The biggest obstacle you will run into with the E6X, E8 and E11 series from Haltech is controlling the drive by wire throttle .. They can not control it..
However, if you wanted to get creative, do a little leg and fab work, you could fabricate or source out a compatible conventional throttle body that can replace the stock unit.. run a throttle cable to your pedal, which you will have to fab up some sort of bracket to hold the cable.. and then you will be in business"

Good luck finding a conventional throttle body and rigging it up to work :P
Old 07-07-08, 07:24 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I am not too sure on if will support two different sets of injectors. I know they will support direct injection. I used to know the guy who is the master tech for Haltech and he can pretty much do everything with a Haltech. Haltech is not big anymore in USA, but they are commonly used in Austrilia. Here is the thing I don't understand, I am pretty sure there are someone that's shooting nitrous on this forum, how are they tricking the ECU? They are essentially boosting to get that temp HP. If you can run nitrous safely, I don't see why turbo would be hard if you are not boosting too high even with 12:1. RSXs are 13.5:1 I think, and their supercharger works just fine.

They aren't doing anything to the ECU.

The stock ECU can handle 5 lbs of boost on its own.

Or a 65 shot of nitrous which is what Jeremy was running.

It's when you want more than that you run into issues with the fuel, timing, and the CR.

TOMs in japan can change the JDM ECU. And only manages an extra 0.8 lbs of boost by doing so.

That'd run you $10,000 even if it worked on US cars. Not much less than you'd need to just get an IS-F that'd still have about 50 -more- hp than the boosted IS350 would (and you'd still have a full warranty too)
Old 07-07-08, 07:26 PM
b00st
Driver School Candidate

LOL! I think I'll just stick with N/A

Quick Reply: Boosting your IS go with a custom kit or buy from LMS