Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PI TC SEVERE VIBRATION at 2800 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-08, 03:23 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PI TC SEVERE VIBRATION at 2800 RPM

For the past couple of weeks I have been getting some severe vibration when I drive my car for about 3 or 4 min. At first I thought it was the tires and so I got them checked they are fine. I got some Nitrogen put in them to maybe help reduce it if it was. I got some STP fluid put inside because someone had mentioned that since there is ethanol mixed with the gas now it is suppose to take out the watery fluid that is added in our gasoline.

After a couple of weeks I noticed that the vibration started at 2800 RPM every time and I have recently got the PI TC installed. Has anyone had any of these issues after they installed the TC?

I need to get this problem resolved before it becomes a major issue.

Any insights?
Old 07-07-08, 10:55 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I could take it to the mechanic but he would charge me for something I won't need to get charged for maybe.

Just wanted to ask the people who have had experience or might know something about the issue I am having.

thanks
Old 07-09-08, 09:35 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I guess this is a very rare issue... and i might be the only one experiencing it?

If anyone knows anything or has had someone with this problem can you tell them to post on here....I am really afraid I might mess something up.
Old 07-09-08, 10:58 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nanotech
For the past couple of weeks I have been getting some severe vibration when I drive my car for about 3 or 4 min. At first I thought it was the tires and so I got them checked they are fine. I got some Nitrogen put in them to maybe help reduce it if it was. I got some STP fluid put inside because someone had mentioned that since there is ethanol mixed with the gas now it is suppose to take out the watery fluid that is added in our gasoline.

After a couple of weeks I noticed that the vibration started at 2800 RPM every time and I have recently got the PI TC installed. Has anyone had any of these issues after they installed the TC?

I need to get this problem resolved before it becomes a major issue.

Any insights?
OK, please describe the problem completely and thoroughly. You say a "severe" vibration occurs after driving for a few minutes and that it always occurs at 2800rpm. You also recently installed the Precision Industries (PI) torque converter (TC).

So, does the problem happen during acceleration? Steady state driving? Agressive acceleration or all conditions? Does it begin at 2800rpm and continue at higher rpm? Again, describe as thoroughly as you can.

Shooting from the hip I would suggest confirming whether or not your motor mounts and transmission mount are in solid condition.

You may wish to contact Precision Industries but again have a complete and thorough explanation of your symptoms first.
Old 07-09-08, 11:13 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jbrady
OK, please describe the problem completely and thoroughly. You say a "severe" vibration occurs after driving for a few minutes and that it always occurs at 2800rpm. You also recently installed the Precision Industries (PI) torque converter (TC).

So, does the problem happen during acceleration? Steady state driving? Agressive acceleration or all conditions? Does it begin at 2800rpm and continue at higher rpm? Again, describe as thoroughly as you can.

Shooting from the hip I would suggest confirming whether or not your motor mounts and transmission mount are in solid condition.

You may wish to contact Precision Industries but again have a complete and thorough explanation of your symptoms first.

Im sorry....lets see when i am driving and accelerate nothing happens, i guess when it changes gears and i am down near the 2000's it starts for a little bit and if i hold it at that rpm it will do it as soon as i accelarate or decelarate it will stop. When I am on the free way going 80 MPH it starts it again i thnk around the 2700 to 2900 rpm. THe vibration stops when i accelarate when it happens or decelerate.

Don't know what to do?!?
Old 07-09-08, 01:14 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Two things to check out...

1. Make sure that they Pre-filled the torque converter with tranny fluid BEFORE they installed it! This is very important because if they had not done this there would/could be damage to the unit itself AND you are now low on tranny fluid as well. Believe it or not the torque converter holds a good amount.

2. Did you reset the ECU? This should be done at the initial start-up right after the install. The new higher stall torque converter effects your shift points so it is a good idea to reset the ECU. Do this now if you haven't done it already. (Disconnect the neg. battery terminal for 30+ min and/or pull the ECU-B fuse for 30+ min)

Hope this helps! Also, I hope that you ONLY used Toyota Type IV transmission fluid OR Amsoil ATF (the one that's compatible with Toyota Type IV). I used amsoil in mine; many on CL use it too. Great stuff.

BTW, do you have a transmission cooler?
Old 07-09-08, 03:42 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Two things to check out...

1. Make sure that they Pre-filled the torque converter with tranny fluid BEFORE they installed it! This is very important because if they had not done this there would/could be damage to the unit itself AND you are now low on tranny fluid as well. Believe it or not the torque converter holds a good amount.

2. Did you reset the ECU? This should be done at the initial start-up right after the install. The new higher stall torque converter effects your shift points so it is a good idea to reset the ECU. Do this now if you haven't done it already. (Disconnect the neg. battery terminal for 30+ min and/or pull the ECU-B fuse for 30+ min)

Hope this helps! Also, I hope that you ONLY used Toyota Type IV transmission fluid OR Amsoil ATF (the one that's compatible with Toyota Type IV). I used amsoil in mine; many on CL use it too. Great stuff.

BTW, do you have a transmission cooler?

Thanks for the advice...Many of the things I did immediately after the install. The Amsoil ATF was used 8 cartons..i believe. I have a Haden Trasmission Cooler on there. I don't know what else it could be.
Old 07-10-08, 06:10 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you "smell" tranny fluid sometimes? or at all? If so re-investigate how you routed the tranny lines to and from your tranny cooler. Also, VERY important that I JUST remembered, make sure that your tranny fluid level is EXACT! I cannot stress this enough. I swear to you I was having problems with my car with shifting issues right after my PI TC and 3.76 rear install...many members on here said that our cars are very tempermental if it is even a couple of ounces over/under! Sure as anything my fluid level was a little high, I took the right amount out and like magic it was night and day better! Try that as well...remember to check the tranny fluid while the car is warm and running on a flat surface. GL!
Old 07-11-08, 09:49 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
Do you "smell" tranny fluid sometimes? or at all? If so re-investigate how you routed the tranny lines to and from your tranny cooler. Also, VERY important that I JUST remembered, make sure that your tranny fluid level is EXACT! I cannot stress this enough. I swear to you I was having problems with my car with shifting issues right after my PI TC and 3.76 rear install...many members on here said that our cars are very tempermental if it is even a couple of ounces over/under! Sure as anything my fluid level was a little high, I took the right amount out and like magic it was night and day better! Try that as well...remember to check the tranny fluid while the car is warm and running on a flat surface. GL!
I don't see any leaks or smell anything...as far as the fluids ill check them out.

I was driving and also noticed during the first 2 gears in the city at around 1600 to 1800 RPM it begins that vibration..if a let go on the pedal or accelerate it stops it. Then when I am on the Highway it happens at around 2600 to 2900 RPM. I just thought id mention that so you guys could tell me if it hints at anything.

I appreciate any and all help.
Old 07-11-08, 10:27 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what makes you think that it is the pi tc and not something else...? i don't have a pi tc and i know that in my case any and all vibrations are due to my oversize aftermarket rims... being an IT guy makes me tend to troubleshoot a little differently perhaps and i like to be able to completely rule something out before moving on to something else.

if possible put the stock wheels back on and see if the vibration is still there, if so then obviously it is 100% not the wheels.

so basically it did not do this prior to the pi tc install and immediately or soon after the install now it does???
Old 07-11-08, 02:19 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sojah
what makes you think that it is the pi tc and not something else...? i don't have a pi tc and i know that in my case any and all vibrations are due to my oversize aftermarket rims... being an IT guy makes me tend to troubleshoot a little differently perhaps and i like to be able to completely rule something out before moving on to something else.

if possible put the stock wheels back on and see if the vibration is still there, if so then obviously it is 100% not the wheels.

so basically it did not do this prior to the pi tc install and immediately or soon after the install now it does???
IT is most definitely not the wheels. Only reason I can say that is because I got the wheels over 4 months ago and have been driving with out a problem at all. not only they are 20" but very comfortable at that. When I got the TC installed a week later all this vibration started...so i had no other option but to think that it is my TC
Old 07-11-08, 10:40 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by nanotech
I don't see any leaks or smell anything...as far as the fluids ill check them out.

I was driving and also noticed during the first 2 gears in the city at around 1600 to 1800 RPM it begins that vibration..if a let go on the pedal or accelerate it stops it. Then when I am on the Highway it happens at around 2600 to 2900 RPM. I just thought id mention that so you guys could tell me if it hints at anything.

I appreciate any and all help.
OK, getting better. Keep in mind that no one on this forum can anticipate what you are saying when you say a "vibration" or a "severe" vibration. You should try to describe the vibration itself. To me a "severe" vibration is exactly that... severe... knocking, shaking, noisy, thumping... SEVERE.

I would NOT drive a vehicle with a severe vibration unless an emergency.

So, please describe exactly what it is doing. Did you check your engine and tranny mounts? A TC will cause a vehicle to increase its load on its drivetrain (including the mounts) and on a vehicle with miles on it that can cause almost broken mounts to break. A good fit with your description of happening a week or so after the TC install and probably after some aggressive driving.
Old 07-12-08, 09:26 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

i had the same problem when i installed my lexextreme converter, i bought it brand new from a CL here. as soon i put the TC in my car was vibrating i was pissed off. It was more noticeable when they car would be lets say on a red light or low rpm. i contacted the member he was nice enough to return it to lexextreme and got me credit i was told by people here at CL that some TQ are not balanced right that causes the problem.

i bought another TC from PI has it installed the vibration was lower but not gone. Few mecahnics have told me it will go away if i adjust the idle speed. I have come to live with the vibration cuz it not really that bad and i cant imagine a GS without a TC.
Old 02-04-09, 05:38 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Unfortunately the problem is still not solved. i did notice that the vibration occurs around 2700 to 2900 rpm on the streets going at 45mph and on the highway going between 78mph and 82mph. For example, if any of you have experienced driving while having a flat tire, then that is the type of vibration i get. And yes i did check my tires and they were recently replaced as well. It sounds like a continuous BRRRR when it vibrates and it stops if i accelerate or decelerate. Its a constant vibration at that RPM. Anyone else have any insights on this issue?
Old 02-04-09, 06:42 PM
repman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of a vibration if they did not tighten all of the TC bolts,

Quick Reply: PI TC SEVERE VIBRATION at 2800 RPM