Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which Intake has the most HP gain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-08, 01:35 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian231
So one has to be paid to act civil, professional, and one who encourages a sense of community on CL?

Wrong word choice:

Sniping: The act of pasting up outdoor posters over billboards or on empty structures, walls, and traffic poles, often without permission. Or, a bidder that places their bid in the last minutes or seconds of an auction.

Really does not fall into place in this thread. Better luck next time.

So that'd be a 'no' then on having a better answer... or any at all really... gotcha.
Old 07-21-08, 02:24 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Apparently there are people here incapable of having a discussion regarding intakes without turning it into something personal. So here's your final warning: Please post on-topic and STOP THE BICKERING. We've already had to ban one person because of comments in this thread - any more of this and we'll start handing out more time-outs.

Javier
Old 07-21-08, 05:25 PM
Koz

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Lets see, the JoeZ is the ONLY design that utilizes the stock air box that has a real cold air intake. All the others modify the air box and get their supply air from under the hood. This will allow hotter air to be used. If sound is desirable; just cut a 3" hole. (Ordinary hole saw).

Koz
Old 09-07-08, 09:09 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now with my JoeZ installed, I've noticed the pipe seems to be conducting a lot of heat from the engine .... wouldn't this just heat up the "cold air" from the stock box?

How is there a performance boost from this? as opposed to just keeping my stock intake pipe?
Old 09-08-08, 04:53 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay.Diem
Now with my JoeZ installed, I've noticed the pipe seems to be conducting a lot of heat from the engine .... wouldn't this just heat up the "cold air" from the stock box?

How is there a performance boost from this? as opposed to just keeping my stock intake pipe?
the air flows faster since the pipe is smoother.
Old 09-08-08, 05:43 AM
T4styPh0
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't be in the pipe long enough to get affected from the heat of the pipe.
Old 09-08-08, 07:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AzNLeX350
It wouldn't be in the pipe long enough to get affected from the heat of the pipe.
A subtle but very accurate point

In a short-ram intake the hot air (when stopped in particular) is sitting around under the hood and is what the intake sucks in. When moving the problem isn't as bad, but there's no upside at all to this design on this car so the one drawback mentioned isn't worth the cost unless you just HAVE to have that vaccum cleaner sound.

With the Joe Z you continue to use the colder stock airbox...so the air coming in is always colder... and it's only "in" the metal pipe for a second or two at a time while moving, not nearly enough time for the air to absorb any of the heat.
(plus these some smoother-than-stock pipe airflow going on). Gains are still small since no intake makes a huge improvement on the car, but from a performance perspective there's no downside there with a small upside. Kind of the exact opposite of replacing your stock airbox with a big open-element cone from a performance perspective.
Old 09-09-08, 07:50 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

Originally Posted by AzNLeX350
Only true at WOT. If you are idling at a stoplight, you will transfer heat to the intake air (which is actually at good thing at idle for efficiency), so when you step on the gas, you're going to get a shot of warm air before you get cold air. This is true for any intake capable of conducting heat and one of the good reasons why a plastic intake manifold can be a better solution than a metal one - plastic doesn't hold as much heat as metal so it will take less time to cool off.
Old 09-10-08, 09:34 AM
IS35O
Pole Position

I'm suprised nobody has released a smooth intake pipe made out of an OEM like material.
Old 09-10-08, 10:34 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Ok I agree with most things on this thread, gains, etc..... but you guys are forgeting that sound does play a roll in how much fun a car is. so to me the F makes the EXTREMLY quiet IS350 much more fun to drive. specially with the windows down.

its like lets say if you had an electric 400hp (or equivalent to 400hp) car, it wouldnt be much fun right, way too quiet? but the same car with a V8 with 400 hp and growling engine would be much more fun to drive.
thats just my opinion.

the point to make is that sound does matter for some people.
besides the car costs 40 grand, 300 dollars (only 200 more than the JOEZ) more to make it sound better, and have some kind of performace gains is not that big of a deal.
Old 09-10-08, 10:59 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by juice14
Ok I agree with most things on this thread, gains, etc..... but you guys are forgeting that sound does play a roll in how much fun a car is. so to me the F makes the EXTREMLY quiet IS350 much more fun to drive. specially with the windows down.

its like lets say if you had an electric 400hp (or equivalent to 400hp) car, it wouldnt be much fun right, way too quiet? but the same car with a V8 with 400 hp and growling engine would be much more fun to drive.
thats just my opinion.

the point to make is that sound does matter for some people.
besides the car costs 40 grand, 300 dollars (only 200 more than the JOEZ) more to make it sound better, and have some kind of performace gains is not that big of a deal.
The title of the thread is which intake makes the most hp, not which intake makes the most noise.

That said, my previous car had way more power than my IS350, and could set off car alarms at idle. (big stroked V8)

It was fun to let other people listen to and compliment for a few minutes at a time. Outside of that the relative silence my IS is WAY more fun. Also fun- being able to hear what people in the car, or on my phone, are saying and being able to start the car without waking everyone in the neighborhood up in the morning
Old 09-10-08, 11:17 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,064 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by IS35O
I'm suprised nobody has released a smooth intake pipe made out of an OEM like material.
Costs a whole lot more and actually weighs more than the aluminum pipe...

- All I am going to add is that the air inside the Joe Z intake pipe is not there long enough to be heated up to a point that is any different than the OEM pipe or heated up to the temp. of the outer portion of my intake pipe.
(I am in no way not speaking for any other short ram or brands of intakes out on the market)

The intake pipe acts just like a vacuum, constantly pulling air in at a high rate of speed.
The air flowing inside the intake pipe is never stagnant.

Its true the outer portion of the aluminum intake pipe will be burning hot, but that goes along with pretty much everything else found under the hood after a nice drive...

Joe Z
Old 09-10-08, 02:44 PM
Jay.Diem
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Only true at WOT. If you are idling at a stoplight, you will transfer heat to the intake air (which is actually at good thing at idle for efficiency), so when you step on the gas, you're going to get a shot of warm air before you get cold air. This is true for any intake capable of conducting heat and one of the good reasons why a plastic intake manifold can be a better solution than a metal one - plastic doesn't hold as much heat as metal so it will take less time to cool off.

So...from a daily driver stand-point (lots of stop-go traffic), the Joe-Z (or any aftermarket) pipe is actually not as beneficial to the engine as our stock plastic pipe?

I am working under assumption of your last statement saying that a metal/aluminum pipe conducts more heat than a plastic pipe.
Old 09-11-08, 06:28 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

^^^ it's fine either way.

don't think too hard about it.
Old 09-30-08, 10:22 PM
Anthai
Driver School Candidate

What do you guys think about AEM intake?

Quick Reply: Which Intake has the most HP gain?