Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Which Intake has the most HP gain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-08, 10:15 AM
AKIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Intake has the most HP gain?

What intake out there has the most HP gain on a IS350?
I just purchased a Fujita and I didnt notice much change.
Fujita or Injen?

Last edited by AKIS350; 07-11-08 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-11-08, 11:03 AM
Shank2117
Pole Position

i had the fujita and didn't like it. I felt more HP gains with the joe-z. and the fujita has a sound i didn't like to it either.
Old 07-11-08, 11:54 AM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

the best intakes are joez or fsport.. all others like fujita, k&n, injen, ect dont work as a cold air intake but more of a hot ait intake for our cars.. which is bad for power
Old 07-11-08, 04:55 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You won't make enough HP to actually feel with any intake.

Now, some folks think louder=faster so they'll disagree, but it's true.

Of the intakes available though Lextasy89 has it right...

The Joe Z is about $110 and will make as much power as anything available at any price (which will be around 5 horsepower), it's a nice simple intake, and the maker is a forum member.

The F-sport is basically a copy of Joe Zs intake, plus a reusable air filter, and a new "bottom" for the airbox that is pretty much the stock piece with an extra hole in it (for noise)... it'll cost more like $300ish.

Performance will be the same on the F-sport, but it does have an EO number in case you ever expect to be subject to a california emissions inspection. Otherwise I'd just go with the Joe Z if you want an intake.
Old 07-11-08, 08:26 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz

The F-sport is basically a copy of Joe Zs intake, plus a reusable air filter, and a new "bottom" for the airbox that is pretty much the stock piece with an extra hole in it (for noise)... it'll cost more like $300ish.
a copy Lexus designed the intake for our cars not JoeZ....Like any other intake out there they "copy" the same design and eliminate the flexible tube to improve the air flower "slightly".

Performance will be the same on the F-sport, but it does have an EO number in case you ever expect to be subject to a california emissions inspection.
This is what you are paying for with the OEM Plus its a OEM/JDM part so you cant go wrong.
Old 07-11-08, 08:39 PM
Scythe
Lead Lap

yeah, your paying that extra for perfect fitment/no problems guarenteed/keep your warranty
Old 07-11-08, 10:07 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Give the parts they share are virtually identical, and the Joe Z was around long long long before the F-sport, I don't think there's a problem with describing it as a copy of the Joe Z intake.

I'm certainly not the first to say it either.... it was a common remark in the thread discussing the F-sport when it was unveiled.

That's not to say Joe Z invented the idea of a straight pipe, but everyone else making intakes for the car was doing something else goofy like sticking a big open-element cone filter on the end of said tube. Joe had the proper thinking in his design and retained the colder stock airbox....

Lexus engineers eventually reached the same conclusions about what works best and thus the F-sport looks like the Joe Z, with logos on it, the filter included, and a noisier (but no different performing) bottom airbox replacement because people paying $300-400 for an intake expect a lot of noise apparently.

Either intake is primarily just a tube though, I can't imagine what possible "problem" either could cause on the vehicle, and thus neither will do anything to the vehicle warranty.

Now, if you pay even more $ on top to get a Lexus dealer to install the F-sport then the "part" warranty on the intake is longer... but it's not like the Joe Z pipe can really go bad or anything... it's a metal pipe.

Certainly if you're in CA it's worth the $ for the EO number... but otherwise the Joe Z just seems the way to go.... (and dremel yourself and extra airbox hole if you've gotta have the noise, there's a thread or two now where folks have done just that)
Old 07-12-08, 01:15 PM
350forMe
Rookie

its funny how people downplay the f-sport. i think its funny when they say this all the time

"and a new "bottom" for the airbox that is pretty much the stock piece with an extra hole in it (for noise)"

like better airflow has nothing to do with performance.....

F-sport is a great product , everyone who actually does have it and are not speculating on pictures or youtube videos will confirm the products performance. have fun!
Old 07-12-08, 01:42 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

The better airflow -does- have nothing to do with performance since the extra hole doesn't give any needed airflow.

The stock airbox already flows more air than the engine is capable of using.

The extra hole in the F-sport box is for noise, and that's it.
Old 07-12-08, 02:12 PM
dw8787
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The better airflow -does- have nothing to do with performance since the extra hole doesn't give any needed airflow.

The stock airbox already flows more air than the engine is capable of using.

The extra hole in the F-sport box is for noise, and that's it.
I'm not sure why it bothers you that the F-Sport Intake exist. It appears from your comments that you have done extensive research and are quite knowledgeable of the IS Lexus engines and their airflow characteristics. Whether it is just a minimal gain or not, increasing the airflow capability has to provide some improvement over the stock configuration. Now was that added for performance gains or just noise by Lexus, probably a little of both. Most of the other manufactures that you mentioned make air intakes for many different type vehicles. They are ALL that big open-element cone filter on the end of said tube. That is the style they make, so why would they change it for the Lexus model. Lexus designed theirs based on a factory performance look. Just relax and be happy that as a IS owner you have a choice.
Old 07-12-08, 03:09 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All of these are a waste of money IMO....
Old 07-12-08, 08:58 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by dw8787
I'm not sure why it bothers you that the F-Sport Intake exist. It appears from your comments that you have done extensive research and are quite knowledgeable of the IS Lexus engines and their airflow characteristics. Whether it is just a minimal gain or not, increasing the airflow capability has to provide some improvement over the stock configuration. Now was that added for performance gains or just noise by Lexus, probably a little of both. Most of the other manufactures that you mentioned make air intakes for many different type vehicles. They are ALL that big open-element cone filter on the end of said tube. That is the style they make, so why would they change it for the Lexus model. Lexus designed theirs based on a factory performance look. Just relax and be happy that as a IS owner you have a choice.
Well, lemme see...no one who has put one of these on his car has posted before and after trapspeeds in the 1/8 or 1/4 mile any faster than the stock setup. So, in all likelihood, these intake mods do not alter the major restriction to intake air on a 2GR or 4GR engine. If the car doesn't trap faster, it didn't make any more power.

All the manufacturers claim dyno power increases, but not one of them has backed it up with real world performance. Every one of these devices (except JoeZ's pipe) make MORE NOISE. I've seen guys make more noise and tell me how much faster they are for years - at least since 1985 - and when they go to the track (if they're lucky) they go the same speed they used to. If they're NOT lucky (and this is much more common than you'd like to believe) they go SLOWER. I've done it myself.

So saying you "feel" it performs better is really meaningless. When you can MEASURE improved acceleration (because I've never won or lost a race on a dyno) then you know you've really achieved something. The reality is, more often than not, these changes make your car slower/louder and nothing more.
Old 07-12-08, 09:19 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you live with yourself?! LOL YOU KNOW EVERYTHING! haha I agree with you on this, people always go with what they read and hear and what they feel AKA Butt Dyno. But the only way to know is a before and after.
Old 07-12-08, 09:23 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,013 Likes on 2,431 Posts

Originally Posted by iSuxeL
How do you live with yourself?! LOL YOU KNOW EVERYTHING! haha I agree with you on this, people always go with what they read and hear and what they feel AKA Butt Dyno. But the only way to know is a before and after.
Far from it. I wouldn't ever claim to know everything, but I've bought a lot of stuff over the years that claimed it was going to make me faster and all it did was lighten my wallet. So I've become very skeptical of performance claims.
Old 07-12-08, 09:29 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill Dyno my car. All it has is the intake so we could just compare it to a stock run. But i dont know of a place around here that does dyno runs.

Quick Reply: Which Intake has the most HP gain?