Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SRT Intake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-08, 05:45 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRT Intake Problem

Just installed the SRT intake on my GS and I had a problem. Got it all installed, took it out, beat the snot out of it and it was running fine. Then I let my friend drive it and we were approaching a stop sign that he didn't know was there so he had to hit the brakes kinda hard (no lock-up or ABS intervention). Right then the car flooded and stalled, reeked of gas and when we started it back up it smoked and wouldn't go above 2-3K, even in neutral. Limped it home and disconnected the terminal, let it sit and then it was fine. However, I haven't taken it back out because I'm nervous something is wrong.

My main suspects:

1) The wires in the diagram that SRT gave me aren't the color that they say they should be. Consequently, I gave pin position priority over color. Maybe this was wrong?

2) The ECU said 1998-2000 GS430/LS430/SC430. As was we all know, the 430 wasn't made in those years. How could a Lexus specialized company make such an ignorant mistake? Did they give me the correct ECU/piggyback thingy?

3) Spiking the brakes. This shouldn't cause a car to go into limp mode, but maybe something just lined up right??? The gas tank was low and we were going downhill, so who knows?

Thanks in advance for any/all help
Old 07-12-08, 07:26 PM
perrychad
Driver

you did the right thing by going by the pin locations and not the color. i would check and make sure all your connections are good at the ecm. then check for vac. leaks, and check to see that the mass air sensor is not loose on the pipe.
Old 07-12-08, 07:43 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't worry about the label on the ECU, mine said the same thing, I contacted Moe at SRT and he said it was fine, they were all labeled like that, but that it was the right one for my GS430 ...
Old 07-12-08, 08:08 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Originally Posted by perrychad
you did the right thing by going by the pin locations and not the color. i would check and make sure all your connections are good at the ecm. then check for vac. leaks, and check to see that the mass air sensor is not loose on the pipe.

Thanks for the advice, I did all those things. I even had my friend solder all the connects so everything is tight. Still no luck though.

I need it stop raining so I can go out and try to duplicate the problem again.
Old 07-21-08, 01:03 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

I had it happen again as I was acceralting onto an on-ramp, but the code was gone 2 days later. Next time it happens I'll hurry up and get to Autozone so they can pull the code.
Old 07-21-08, 05:02 PM
carbongs
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

could it be a bad maf? that's what mine was. gave it a good cleaning and everything was fine afterwards
Old 07-21-08, 07:19 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default srt

definitely contact SRT asap. they were very helpful to me when i had a warning light issue (granted that was 2 yrs ago).
i'm gettting ready to order one for my gs430 and i find it disturbing that yours is labeled wrong and the color code diagram is wrong. the kind of reaction you got from your car would make me livid. did you order yours new?
Old 07-22-08, 07:14 AM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Yeah, I ordered it new from them. I also found it disturbing how bad the heat shield looked (like acid was thrown on it or something).

As soon as it acts up again I'll pull the code and give them a call.
Old 07-22-08, 07:29 AM
SRTRob
Driver School Candidate

I would double check all the solder joints and make sure they are not only solid, but all wrapped tight as well so as not to contact one another. And yes good thing going with the pin locations, Lexus changed the wire colors from '01 to '02 thats the only difference. The labels have been fixed, clerical error, thank you for pointing that out. If you do not come up with anything, contact me and I can see what I can do.
Old 07-22-08, 07:38 AM
Insedanity
Pole Position

Thanks Rob, and welcome to the forums.

I checked the joints and they're tight as a gnat's ***, wrapped up good too. I'll be in contact as soon as it throws the code/CEL again. Thank you for coming on here and addressing the issue.
Old 07-24-08, 08:16 AM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default heat shield

if you have time, can you post a photo of the discolored heat shield? Much appreciated!
are you enjoying the intake (since the trouble that is)?
Old 07-25-08, 01:40 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

I'm celebrating my 30th b-day this weekend, but I'll still try and make time to get a pic or 2 for ya.

And to answer your other question: Other than the issue(s) it raised, I am thoroughly enjoying the intake. The sound it makes is awesome, definitely turns heads. People just don't expect that sound from a Lexus, so it really catches them off guard. It's really making me want a Tanabe exhaust to compliment it and round out the deal. However, I will say that if K&N made the FIPK for the 430, then I would of went with that....possibly adding a S-AFC.
Old 07-25-08, 07:21 PM
TruPlaya26
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Insedanity
I'm celebrating my 30th b-day this weekend, but I'll still try and make time to get a pic or 2 for ya.

And to answer your other question: Other than the issue(s) it raised, I am thoroughly enjoying the intake. The sound it makes is awesome, definitely turns heads. People just don't expect that sound from a Lexus, so it really catches them off guard. It's really making me want a Tanabe exhaust to compliment it and round out the deal. However, I will say that if K&N made the FIPK for the 430, then I would of went with that....possibly adding a S-AFC.
SRT + Tanabe MT is the sexiest sound ever !!
Old 08-19-08, 11:48 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

^^^ I SECOND ThAT!
Old 08-20-08, 12:42 PM
Insedanity
Pole Position

It happened again. As soon as the CEL appears, the two traction control lights come on too. (I can't remember exactly what the lights are right now, one is the one that comes on when you turn the VSC off and I'm forgetting the other.)

Quick Reply: SRT Intake Problem