Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-Sport Sway Bar..

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 05:26 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default F-Sport Sway Bar..

I do some autocross and road course.. is the Sway Bar and installation cost worth the gain? How much different do you feel? From what I have hear the Rear Chassis Member Brace doesn't make a different and not worth the money.
Old 08-03-08, 06:16 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
I do some autocross and road course.. is the Sway Bar and installation cost worth the gain? How much different do you feel? From what I have hear the Rear Chassis Member Brace doesn't make a different and not worth the money.
The sways make the car MUCH more fun to drive. The steering feels much more direct, there is less "yaw" when going over uneven roads, and the car is a little firmer now (similar to if you added a few psi to the tires). The car feels much more BMW-like now, IIRC from what the 3-series drive like. Plus, there is very little body lean now.

All in all, I'm very pleased with them. Sure, there's still some understeer, but it takes a lot more pushing to get to that point.

BTW, installation is pretty simple.
Old 08-03-08, 06:20 PM
jadeboy
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Installation is simple? The F-Sport installation was simple.. but from what I have hear..the sway bar will be far more difficult to install.... since I have to remove the tires.. how long did it takes to install? Installing the F-Sport intake took about 45 minutes.. (would take about 1/2 that time now). Can I do it without a car lift?
Old 08-03-08, 06:22 PM
Chekmi21
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the RWDs can use both front and rear but I believe the AWDs can only use the rear sways, just FYI.
Old 08-03-08, 06:27 PM
mikes rx
I use "..." ....... a lot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadeboy
Installation is simple? The F-Sport installation was simple.. but from what I have hear..the sway bar will be far more difficult to install.... since I have to remove the tires.. how long did it takes to install? Installing the F-Sport intake took about 45 minutes.. (would take about 1/2 that time now). Can I do it without a car lift?
1) The wheels don't have to be removed.
2) I did mine by putting the car on ramps (fronted it on for the fronts, backed it on for the rears)
3) It probably took about 90-120 minutes, but that was me having help from an experienced individual. I got pretty frustrated at it because it was somewhat cramped in there.

I'd say that it's something that's somewhat simple if you've got experience doing those types of things, and you have a garage with a good set of tools.

BTW, you do NOT have to remove the main engine undercover completely. You can loosen it enough to slip the sway bar through.