Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

F-sport Intake Installed

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-08, 09:46 AM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F-sport Intake Installed

Sup, just wanted to give my regards on the Fsport intake. I havent found much info on these. I usually dont get anything until i get some good info. But in this case, this is the way i see it:
The F sport intake is a version 2 of the JOEZ Midpipe. Im not an engineer by any means. and im probably wrong on this, but if you look at it this way: the Joez pipe replaces the rubber intake pipe from the IS, it uses the stock airbox/snorkel, and (most people) replace the air filter with a drop in better flowing one.

This is exactly what the Fsport intake does, exept, it replaces the bottom of the stock airbox with another piece which has an extra hole on it. So its pretty much a JOEX with an extra hole.

It would just make sense to get a JOES and make a hole on the stock box but then im sure it would mess up the warranty.

So my 2 reasons i went with this intake is because, like i jsut said, its like a JOEZ in design (i migt be wrong), and it does not void the warranty (most importantly).

POWER INCREASE???
In my opinion there is a minor power increase. Peak gains might not be more than 5-10 hp or so, but maybe the gains show all the way trough the curve. Im sure we will see a dyno of it soon.

The sound: Its awesome. It sounds just right, not too loud, perfect...I have it combiend with the tanabe exhaust and I have been gettin low gas milage ever since just because i want to hear how the car sounds. hehe. Im gettin over it by now. There is a video on youtube from a guy who has this combo.

I think its worth the money, It looks awesome, It makes me feel safe that its from lexus and does not void my warranty. no cels, sounds awesome, and There are some gains. Maybe I felt more gains than anyone would because I already had the tanabe installed? who knows.

I am not on my pc, so i will post pics prally next week sometime.
Old 08-11-08, 10:07 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Just an FYI- nothing can "void your warranty"

The only thing an aftermarket part can do is cause them to deny warranty coverage for a -specific repair- and that is if, and ONLY if, they can prove that the problem needing repair was -caused- by your aftermarket part. So they can't deny coverage on, say, your shocks, because you changed your headlights.

I'm not sure what possible warranty repair could be caused by a whole in your lower airbox as long as you put it in the right place.

Or what possible warranty repair could be caused by properly replacing the intake pipe either... it's just a pipe.

Realistic peak gains will be more in the 0-5 range, but based on the Joe Z results there should indeed be a small increase throughout the band.

Realistically the one place the F-sport intake is -really- worth the extra cost over a Joe Z with a filter is if you live in California, since it has an EO number and will pass CA inspection.
Old 08-11-08, 02:33 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Just an FYI- nothing can "void your warranty"

The only thing an aftermarket part can do is cause them to deny warranty coverage for a -specific repair- and that is if, and ONLY if, they can prove that the problem needing repair was -caused- by your aftermarket part. So they can't deny coverage on, say, your shocks, because you changed your headlights.

I'm not sure what possible warranty repair could be caused by a whole in your lower airbox as long as you put it in the right place.

Or what possible warranty repair could be caused by properly replacing the intake pipe either... it's just a pipe.

Realistic peak gains will be more in the 0-5 range, but based on the Joe Z results there should indeed be a small increase throughout the band.

Realistically the one place the F-sport intake is -really- worth the extra cost over a Joe Z with a filter is if you live in California, since it has an EO number and will pass CA inspection.
I know what you said about the warranty. I just didnt explain it, I figured people already knew that if you change your exhaust and your shocks go bad they cant say anything.... thanks for explaining better though.

Im sure if there is a cel or anything that has to do with the intake, or maybe engine. Lexus can say, Well, you made a hole on your airbox and that may have been the cause of the problem. Even if it wasnt.

The point is, in my opinion, its safer to have than other intakes. Its an advantage.

I agree with you, a pipe is not going to do anything bad to the engine, But as far as lexus goes, thay can say anything they want. even if you win the battle, its a hassle. I just think spending 250 bucks more to avoid things like that on brand new car its just the right thing to do. I dont blame anybody for getting other intakes because you can just take it out whenever you take your car to the dealer. but i just got rid of a mazda 6 with alot of mods (I did some) and I just dont feel like having to do anything myself. hehe.
Old 08-11-08, 05:36 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

thanks for the write up, i was actually comparing the Joe Z and the F-sport earlier. glad to hear your opinion,
Old 08-11-08, 06:27 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by huddleston
thanks for the write up, i was actually comparing the Joe Z and the F-sport earlier. glad to hear your opinion,
Oh I forgot to say. a friend of mine is about to buy a new IS350. I will go to the drag strip with him and see who wins. I guess thats a good way of seeing if the intake and exhaust did anything. By looking at trapspeeds and jsut the race Ill be able to tell.

I also have a video of my car doing 0-60. I will try it again whenever the temp is the same, same type of day, same road. and see if i get anything different.
Old 08-11-08, 06:49 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Ive had both.. and i prefer the F-Sport intake.