Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Easiest way to make power for less?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 02:10 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what do you guys think of this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 08-18-08, 02:16 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You would be better of getting a kit from Mark (98mkiv). It will cost a little more but you get more items with it as well as it's better quality and from someone who will make sure it arrives in good shape etc. I think the going rates for his kits are about $1700 shipped. Thats the least expensive kit you are going to find that is worth buying.
Old 08-18-08, 02:31 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Alright. do you know what else I'd need to buy to make that kit work?
Old 08-18-08, 02:41 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Where to start......

Blow off valve, blow off valve flange, fuel management, tranny cooler, boost controller, downpipe, v-band, all the turbo fittings, oil lines, vacuum lines, drain hose, drain fitting to block, manifold gasket, assorted nuts and bolts and gaskets, intake pipe, filter, wastegate dump tube, etc....

Trust me, I have put together lots and lots of turbo kits. You will be better off just buying a complete kit then trying to piece one together. ESPECIALLY if you aren't super familiar with what is needed to make the kit work. Things like fittings sound small but when you need a bunch of them and they are $5-$10 a piece things get expensive quick. Along with sourcing gaskets, getting someone to make your intercooler piping fit, larger injectors (you will be severly limited to how much boost you can run using stock injectors) which then leads up to fuel management. If your running an OBD 2 car which i ssume you are you will need a standalone fuel controller to do it right such as a Haltech F10x. While none of the "kits' come with injectors or fuel management etc....You need to be aware of what your getting yourself into as well as the fact that the last thing your going to want to do is be trying to track down odd sized nuts and bolts and washers and little pipes and tubes here and there to complete a "kit".

Long story short, you are 100% worth it to just by a complete kit fromt he beginning.

Last edited by macd7919; 08-18-08 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-18-08, 02:43 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

So I'm basically going to throw out another 2-3k?

I think I'll just stick with what you told me to do before and save up for a turbo :P
Old 08-18-08, 02:53 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Mmm, close to that by the time you are done, proper fuel management and injectors is going to cost you almost $2000 by itself. Turbo's aren't cheap, lol...if they were everyone here would be boosted, lol.
Old 08-18-08, 03:26 PM
iNS0MNiAC
Pole Position

what the eff kind of $#!T kit is that. You will still have to make all custom piping judging from that picture along with customer brackets to hold the FMIC. Also you will need larger injectors (meaning also reprogramming the ECU) also would highly recommend a larger head gasket. you're probably going to have to spend at least another 1-2k to to get that kit to run properly.

My suggestion is to buy a kit that comes with everything and not having to half a$$ the install.

I'm not trying to be rude but I just hate cheap eBay kits. The quality of so much the the turbo kits u find on there are just so terrible. Bottom line you get what you pay for. Thats just my .02
Old 08-18-08, 03:31 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ins0mniac
what the eff kind of $#!T kit is that. You will still have to make all custom piping judging from that picture along with customer brackets to hold the FMIC. Also you will need larger injectors (meaning also reprogramming the ECU) also would highly recommend a larger head gasket. you're probably going to have to spend at least another 1-2k to to get that kit to run properly.

My suggestion is to buy a kit that comes with everything and not having to half a$$ the install.

I'm not trying to be rude but I just hate cheap eBay kits. The quality of so much the the turbo kits u find on there are just so terrible. Bottom line you get what you pay for. Thats just my .02
No matter what kit you get for the GS you have to make custom piping. There isn't a "kit" out for the Gs specifically in that regard.
Old 08-18-08, 05:52 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Sorry about the ebay kit, it was a suggestion, lol.

It would be nice if they made a kit just for the gs. I think this is what I'm going to do in order, give me your thoughts on this;
Header, Grounding kit,new head gasket (I'll need this for turbo anyway, but that size should I get?), and a cam gear. While I'm doing all of this I'll collect parts that I'll need for the na-t conversion (turbo kit, timer, bov, everything I need for the conversion)

I figure this would be a good way to get hp, and get all my turbo stuff :P
Old 08-18-08, 06:07 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mtparker18
Sorry about the ebay kit, it was a suggestion, lol.

It would be nice if they made a kit just for the gs. I think this is what I'm going to do in order, give me your thoughts on this;
Header, Grounding kit,new head gasket (I'll need this for turbo anyway, but that size should I get?), and a cam gear. While I'm doing all of this I'll collect parts that I'll need for the na-t conversion (turbo kit, timer, bov, everything I need for the conversion)

I figure this would be a good way to get hp, and get all my turbo stuff :P
You would use a low compression headgasket on a turbo car which would make less horsepower on an N/A car. The reason you do a headgasket is to make the engine more turbo friendly by lowering the compression ratio so you don't get detonation as easily and can run more boost.
You won't use the header either once you go turbo as the turbo setup uses a turbo manifold that replaces the header. The cam gear and the grounding kit will work no matter what set up you are running, lol. I know it's confusing at first but we have all been there, just do alot of research and you will get a grasp on what goes where.
Fwiw, the headgasket install is a job in itself as the head has to be removed from the car. You will probably be looking in the neighborhood of $1000 for a headgasket install including parts. You really don't NEED a low compression headgasket to go turbo though so I wouldn't worry about it for now. Get a turbo kit and all the supporting stuff, get the car running well on low boost, 5psi or so, then go back and do the headgasket as money allows and then you can crank up the boost to 8-10psi safely and be making over 300hp at the wheels which is about 150hp more than you have now
Old 08-18-08, 06:18 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

I think I'm going to buy a grounding kit sometime soon and start saving for the turbo. I think I can find a few people I know that can help me put the turbo in. Is it a hard diy?
Old 08-18-08, 06:34 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Not too bad, if you get people that have done it before and know what they are doing it could be done in a few days.
Old 08-18-08, 08:02 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Alright. Good. I don't want to do it myself if it's hard, if you know what I mean.
Old 08-20-08, 11:06 AM
black_gs99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyone forgot to mention the biggest problem with a gs300...the tranny becomes a huge problem when you go with a turbo...if you wanna stay under 350 you be alright for alittle bit but you'll still have a hard time shifting anything more you'll need a upgrade the VB & sprag which is about 800 and then thats only good upto around 425 and anything higher than that you'll need a fully built tranny...

if you decide to go with a turbo make sure you understand everything your getting yourself into...i'd suggest go for a ride with someone that has a turbo make sure you like it before you decide to add one onto your car...its about 7500 for a 350rwhp setup! doing it right of course...
Old 08-20-08, 11:50 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by black_gs99
everyone forgot to mention the biggest problem with a gs300...the tranny becomes a huge problem when you go with a turbo...if you wanna stay under 350 you be alright for alittle bit but you'll still have a hard time shifting anything more you'll need a upgrade the VB & sprag which is about 800 and then thats only good upto around 425 and anything higher than that you'll need a fully built tranny...

if you decide to go with a turbo make sure you understand everything your getting yourself into...i'd suggest go for a ride with someone that has a turbo make sure you like it before you decide to add one onto your car...its about 7500 for a 350rwhp setup! doing it right of course...

Thanks for the input. I know about the tranny isnt stable after 350. I was going to get a VB upgrade from SRT.

Now when you say it's going to be 7500 to do everything right, whats that include? turbo and tuning?

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Easiest way to make power for less?