Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Easiest way to make power for less?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-08, 07:46 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Easiest way to make power for less?

Hey guys, I have a 2003 GS300 and I was driving it around yesterday and said to myself, this just isn't enough power.

So I was wondering, whats the cheapest way to make more power? I have am SRT intake with race ecu and a tanable exhaust.

What else can I do?

Appreciate the help.
Mitchell.
Old 08-15-08, 08:43 AM
J0hnP
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a guy in Houston that does an All Motor 2JGE Tune with AEM. But even at that you still have to purchase AEM Management.

You have a GS300, unless you plan on doing any kind of swap. NA-T is really the way to go for decent power in your car. GS300 is gonna be slow NA. Alot of build threads, Search NA-T
Old 08-15-08, 09:48 AM
perrychad
Driver

buy a gs400! lol
Old 08-15-08, 11:16 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Put a turbo in. A 2JZ without a turbo is like a person with no *****
Old 08-15-08, 11:48 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
LOL!

I was thinking about a turbo. But I don't know much about doing hands on, on motors so I'd have a shop do it. I'm just afraid it'd get the price way up in labor.

I was thinking headgasket (not sure what size), and turbo (xspower from clubna-t.com).

I'm just trying to hit around 300-350 without spending a lot of money. But I kinda doubt I could
Old 08-16-08, 12:12 AM
turbosw20
Pole Position

Best quote ever!!
Old 08-16-08, 12:22 AM
TEXASMAJOR
Lead Lap

orrr like a bich with no a$$, you aint got s-hit!
Old 08-16-08, 02:53 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, either trade for a 400 or turbo your 300. Other than that, you're doing the 'ol $50 per horsepower, which personally I can't justify. The former: gas mileage isn't much different--sell your 300 outright and look for a nice 400. The latter: get ready to wrench and feel comfortable with what you're doing, or find a good shop to do it for you. In my opinion, you need to be perfectly confident in either if it's a family hauler.
Old 08-16-08, 11:00 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Realistically if you already have the SRT intake and Tanabe exhaust you have done the two "big hp" mods for the car. There are a few hp to be gained here or there but your big gains have been made. You can do headers which are a pretty easy install on the 300. There was a guy on SF who dynoed before and after with headers on his N/A supra and picked up power across the board with an extra 10hp at the wheels on the top end. They will probably net you another 5hp or so on the top end.

I just did a quick search and found these which seems to be a deal.
Headers

After headers if you want to go for a few extra hp try picking up an exhaust cam gear from HKS/Greddy/Titan etc...they usually run around $140 for the gear. It would be best to install that when you do your timing belt as it all has to come part anyways and would only take an extra 10 minutes to throw the cam gear on while it was apart. After that it would need to be tuned on the dyno'd but you could probably get an extra 3-4hp in the midrange and get a chance to see what your car is really making.

A good grounding kit can make a few hp difference and is under $100. I have seen multiple tests with grounding kits where they have seen gains of 1-10hp on back to back dyno's from installing a good ground kit. Also looks nice under the hood. Those are the easy things for power.

However, there are ALOT of gains to be made in the handling/overall driving experience.

I see you already have springs, sway bars would make a big difference in the handling of the car, they will make almost as big of a difference as your lowering springs did in the way the car handles. On top of that they are relatively easy to install in a couple hours.

Also, if your bushings are worn in the front end (control arm, steering rack etc...) replacing them with Daizen will freshen up the way the car drives. Hope those are a few things to thing about!

Fwiw, yes, a turbo kit will make ALOT more power, but there are alot of other things to take into mind. If you decided to go turbo you are goingto be looking in the neighborhood of $8000 to do a reliable basic setup
Old 08-16-08, 11:08 PM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

lol,,,, ima going to use this as my signature
Old 08-17-08, 01:27 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

thanks for all the help guys.

Macd7919, Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definately look into all of thoes. When I buy parts, and if it doesn't show a gs300 part, do I get a part (header, cam gear, etc.) for the NA supra?

I don't know much, but would a port and polish help as far as hp?
If it would be good, what kind of estimate could I be looking at if a shop does it?

Thank you a lot guys.
Old 08-17-08, 01:30 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Also, would a metal headgasket add hp?
Old 08-17-08, 03:05 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASMAJOR
orrr like a bich with no a$$, you aint got s-hit!
Lil' Wayne

If you want some more power for less, just get a little
Old 08-17-08, 05:24 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mtparker18
thanks for all the help guys.

Macd7919, Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definately look into all of thoes. When I buy parts, and if it doesn't show a gs300 part, do I get a part (header, cam gear, etc.) for the NA supra?

I don't know much, but would a port and polish help as far as hp?
If it would be good, what kind of estimate could I be looking at if a shop does it?

Thank you a lot guys.
You would want the parts from an Is300, not a Supra N/A I just used that as an example as they are very similar motors and you will see about the same results.

Porting and polishing will be VERY expensive for what your looking for. You would be looking at having the head pulled, then the machine work done, you would probably be looking anywhere from $2500 and up for that and you probably won't get huge gains from it. Not saying you wouldn't get anything, but your not going to make an extra 50hp or anything.
Old 08-17-08, 08:20 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Alright thanks.

How about the headgasket?

Quick Reply: Easiest way to make power for less?