Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The GS4 auto trannies

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-08, 05:32 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default The GS4 auto trannies

Not like I'm thinking of doing this anytime soon (or perhaps ever) I just want to see what people feel about this.

How fast could a bolt-on GS4 be with a six speed manual swap? Is it even possible? I know people have done it before with their GS300's (Adamganz has just completed his project) but I think that's because they are using the Supra TT motor that can work with a 6mt.

I know our stock trannies aren't the greatest but our engines make nice hp and torque...how do you think these cars would respond to a 6mt? Suggestions...comments...Thanks!
Old 08-27-08, 11:43 AM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To my knowledge, it's never been done on a GS4.

I imagine it would probably kick more *** than anything that has kicked *** before or will ever kick *** in the future.
Old 08-27-08, 12:44 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

I just wanted to see what a Japanese NA V8 manual could do...

I don't get it Caddy has their V8 manual (The CTS-V) along with a bunch of other american rides; who knows maybe the Japanese will come around. I know that the GS is more luxury than sport which is why they never offered the manual trans here in the U.S. but it has the power and attitude to compete with more sport oriented sedans if given a nice 6mt IMHO.
Old 08-28-08, 06:49 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i recal some company makes a plate so you can bolt the supra 6spd up to the GS 400. I always thought that would be a cool thing to do but did a litte searching and havent ever seen anyone who did it.
Old 08-28-08, 07:00 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 131 Likes on 109 Posts

if someone finds out how to make this work.... i'll go buy a GS4.
Old 08-28-08, 07:48 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
if someone finds out how to make this work.... i'll go buy a GS4.
The adapter plate is already made. Check out TTCperformance.com. They also sell a custom 3 disc clutch that is made to specifically bolt up to the auto flex plate. You would need to fabricate the the positioning of the clutch pedal, but from what I recall all parts are readily available and are in stock at toyota. There isn't much room to place the master cylinder, but I recall that it can be done. I looked into it once before and overall, the price of the tranny, adapter, special clutch, and fabrication was gonna run me over 8k. So I decided I'll spend my money elsewhere (all into the motor and have the tranny fully "race" built as possible)
Old 08-30-08, 09:41 PM
ISFjimmy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HI98GS
The adapter plate is already made. Check out TTCperformance.com. They also sell a custom 3 disc clutch that is made to specifically bolt up to the auto flex plate. You would need to fabricate the the positioning of the clutch pedal, but from what I recall all parts are readily available and are in stock at toyota. There isn't much room to place the master cylinder, but I recall that it can be done. I looked into it once before and overall, the price of the tranny, adapter, special clutch, and fabrication was gonna run me over 8k. So I decided I'll spend my money elsewhere (all into the motor and have the tranny fully "race" built as possible)
8k is worth it IMO.

Not that i have the funds now but ill be sure to do it someday since im pretty much keeping my car forever.

AUTO sucks...
Old 09-02-08, 06:48 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Yeah, if this mod can be real reliable that would be awesome. I am all about reliability when trying to add performance mods...it is currently my daily driver but may not be forever so until then it needs to be reliable.
Old 09-02-08, 12:37 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds to me as if its pretty reliable. The supra 6 speed is one solid tranny and the clutch they use with ttc performance plate if i remember correctly was rated for up to like 600hp and it looks like a quality piece. Id be interested to see what kind of times you can pull off with a 6speed since our stock tranny is so slow :-(. Is there any way to make the stock auto shift faster? Like a shift kit or something??? I know alot of other auto cars have shift kits you can buy to make them shift faster.
Old 09-02-08, 01:25 PM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

The VB (valve body) upgrade is the only thing that I am aware of but you will lose A LOT if not all of the luxury feel of the car...regardless is you floor it or drive it easy.
Old 09-03-08, 01:30 AM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
The VB (valve body) upgrade is the only thing that I am aware of but you will lose A LOT if not all of the luxury feel of the car...regardless is you floor it or drive it easy.
I have had an upgraded valve body and I did not lose the luxury feel. I've had the valve body in for nearly 5 years. The only time that I realize the valve body doing it's job is when you do floor it, the car shifts are much more crisp. I also noticed that using the e-shift mode the car shifted faster with each press of the button. I think the tranny is such that it won't show much of a difference when the valve body is upgraded unless you are really pushing it hard. Otherwise, it feels stock and smooth as silk with the shifting when driving it normally.
Old 09-03-08, 09:20 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

...cool. Didn't know that; my post was referencing information I have read from others that have done that mod.
Old 09-24-08, 09:39 AM
dumped400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HI98GS
I have had an upgraded valve body and I did not lose the luxury feel. I've had the valve body in for nearly 5 years. The only time that I realize the valve body doing it's job is when you do floor it, the car shifts are much more crisp. I also noticed that using the e-shift mode the car shifted faster with each press of the button. I think the tranny is such that it won't show much of a difference when the valve body is upgraded unless you are really pushing it hard. Otherwise, it feels stock and smooth as silk with the shifting when driving it normally.
which VB are you using and where did you get it?