Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-08 | 01:48 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

keep us updated...besides you said you live close by me... CL.So.CAL... 818 i want to see it...that will be very interesting... when its done you can take it to the meeting... GOOD LUCK!!
Old 09-02-08 | 02:44 PM
ISooNice
Pole Position

its about having the sound and being as fast as a 350! lol in a 250!
Old 09-02-08 | 03:17 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ISooNice
its about having the sound and being as fast as a 350! lol in a 250!
But he won't be anywhere near as fast as a 350.

He'd have to run a lot more boost than the engine or computer is capable of handling to do that.

He'll have the sound though. If they don't blow the motor.

If that's worth spending as much or more than just getting a 350 that'd be significantly faster and more reliable would've cost is another story.

He's $2000 into it for just the used turbo and intercooler. TOMs ECU programming is another $1500 (and doesn't work on his car unless he imported the vehicle from japan by the way)... He'll still need a lot of custom plumbing, custom mounting hardware, a custom exhaust manifold, and all the labor to make it all fit and run. Plus a decent bit more in parts and labor if they're going to try something like water/alky/meth injection to make it able to run more than 5ish lbs of boost. All to make maybe 50 extra horsepower if he's lucky and it doesn't break anything.

Contrast that with less than $4000 total difference in invoice from a 250 to a 350, and that adds over 100 hp with a full factory warranty.

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-02-08 at 03:33 PM.
Old 09-02-08 | 06:55 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

how about u just get a IS-F and shush kurtz.

something's always bigger and faster with a full factory warranty.

he just wants to see if it's possible.

we have enough pessimists online.

let's be optimistic and cheer him on.

who knows, maybe they'll figure something out and we'll be making 5,000 hp with $3,000 lol

Last edited by nabbun; 09-02-08 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-02-08 | 07:17 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I hope you guys do know that its possible to have a piggyback.
Old 09-02-08 | 07:37 PM
netsushi
Driver School Candidate

Yeah im sure his point isn't to own a 350 in a quarter mile run. Good luck with the project.
Old 09-02-08 | 08:09 PM
FRANK!!
Rookie

Guys it worked out great today. We finished with manifold and etc. The turbo fits perfectly!! Today we are going to do some ecu work. Beside guys, they are not charging me labor, since this is a project that both of us are working on.
Old 09-02-08 | 08:10 PM
FRANK!!
Rookie

My shop knows how to hack into the ecu and tom's to run the car. I dont know how thats possible
Old 09-02-08 | 08:19 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FRANK!!
My shop knows how to hack into the ecu and tom's to run the car. I dont know how thats possible
To be honest, I don't believe it is.

The TOMs ecu, at risk of oversimplification, speaks japanese. All the other bunch of ECUs in your car do not. TOMs has many many years of experience programming toyota/lexus ECUs and yet even they tell you they can't do anything for you if you don't have a JDM car.

It's something people have wanted on US spec toyota/lexus cars for quite a few years now. This shop of yours would be world renowned if they somehow magically found a way to do what nobody else has in all that time.

Unless they're rebuilding the entire motor though hacking the ECU doesn't even help you much with a turbo. 12:1 compression is the reason you won't be able to run much boost. Even the full TOMs kit in japan only manages to go from 5 lbs to 5.8 lbs with FULL ecu reprogramming.

And it only manages -that- much by requiring 100 octane fuel.

As to a piggyback, nope, nothing to see there either.

There's no standalones that can run everything. A piggyback can't change anything but air/fuel ratio...and even then you'd need a complete self-tuning system like Gernby uses. And your gains would be pretty small. Folks have used SAFC type piggybacks on the 2IS for the track...you pick up 5-10 hp and that's about it.

You could richen the fuel mix for forced induction, but the stock ECU -already- does that. That's why you can run 5 lbs on the LMS kit without any changes to the stock ECU. The motor won't hold a lot more than that, even if you lie to the sensors at both ends and tell it to keep running richer.

Seriously, there's a -reason- nobody sells a turbo kit for the car, and the one US market supercharger kit isn't sold anymore.

I'd -love- to be wrong, but there's a lot of reasons that's unlikely here.
Old 09-02-08 | 08:38 PM
BUST
Pole Position

Whatever it is, this will be interesting. Good luck on your project FRANK!!
Old 09-03-08 | 07:09 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

How about some pictures so that we can give this thread some more credibility? I am totally in support of this effort but as stated, many hurtles need to be cleared.
Old 09-03-08 | 10:19 AM
speedfoos
Driver School Candidate

Hmm....I'm curious too about this. There "shouldn't" be a reason a piggyback EMS can't be used with larger injectors and O2 sensor skewing to run normal idle AFRs and dump fuel under boost based on input from a wideband, all the while telling the stock ECU that everything is OK and not modified.

I'm new to this engine (haven't even taken possession of mine yet), so do they run a MAF or MAP sensor? If it's a MAP-based system, that should be pretty easy to run an aftermarket MAP sensor and run a piggyback that uses MAP voltage clamping to help re-assure the ECU that everything is still stock. If it runs a MAF, then I don't know, never played with one before.

Obviously with no way to control the timing, a high boost application wouldn't be smart and if the motor already has 12:1 compression, then 7-8psi max is all I would run on it.

But....

Old 09-03-08 | 11:22 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

There are several reasons you can't run a piggyback with larger injectors actually. Both the encrypted stock ECUs (there's a bunch of them) and the fact the system uses direct injectors are two of the problems. (the 350 makes it even more complex by having two sets of injectors, of different types, that do different things at different times)

This engine (and the entire car honestly) is -much- more complex than a 2JZ or any of the commonly boosted previous-gen engines. A buddy of mine who builds supras for a living helped me put the F-sport sways on my 350 and everytime I tell him anything about how the car works he just shakes his head and repeats how he'll never own a new car because they're way too difficult to mod with electronic everything, multiple integrated ECUs and such. He about passed out when I told him the ECUs prevent you from even turning the fogs on without the headlights using factory switches (it can be done if you add your own switch but that's a less than elegant solution)

Literally the only piggyback that works with the current 2IS is something like an SAFC that just lies to the stock system a bit and can lean/richen the mix a bit... but even then the stock ECU tunes the changes out after a bit unless you set up a feedback system with a WB02 like Gernby did.

And yes, it uses a MAF

Last edited by Kurtz; 09-03-08 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-03-08 | 11:36 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

The AEM FIC can drive regular multiport injectors (non-DI) and scew the A/F & O2 sensors to prevent the OEM ECU from detuning. Works for both MAF and MAP

For the IS250, you would have to add a whole new set of port injectors and other plumbing to add fuel during boost conditions. However, this kind of negates the benefits of Direct Injection.

IS350 is SOL cause I doubt that you could control the current port injetors with a Piggyback and not cause the ECU to freak out.

You need to be real creative to add boost to these car. IMHO
Old 09-03-08 | 11:41 AM
Electric
Pole Position

I think youre crazy for trying but good luck!

Quick Reply: Turbo