Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-08, 06:25 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 808_JDM
lol. I mean this in no disrespect to anyone. But I would like to be able to purchase a low boost kit for my girls IS, even she said its slow compared to the ls460. For some people to say that it will be more practical to go buy a 350 in stead of putting a turbo on the 250 that is just crazy. What about the people that already have a 250 or some people out there can not afford the 350 at the time of purchase a wants to slowly mod there car.
I came from the honda scene a while back and I understand that it is not as cheap or easy to mod the IS. I also have a audi s4 and in the beginning everyone said it would be so difficult to mod, turbo swap, tapping into the ecu, and etc. But now look there are so many stg 3's running around (myself included) also some gt s4's and they are making a single. So for someone to say things are impossible or would not be right to put on a turbo that is just ridiculous. I just takes the right people to be the pioneers of a project.
Sorry for the rant, but it all comes down to " I want a low boost turbo kit"lol.

Perhaps you're using different math than me.

Currently, for someone who owns a 250, they would do the following:

Step 1. Drive to lexus dealership

Step 2. Tell dealer you want to trade it in for a 350.

Step 3. Drive your IS350 home.

You will have more power, with a warranty, for less money, than turboing your IS250 would get you.

(the advanced method would be to sell your 250 privately, it'll cost even less to get into a 350 that way)

There is, literally, no point in turboing an IS250 given 12:1 compression and an uncrackable ECU (especially the 12:1).

Last edited by Kurtz; 10-27-08 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-27-08, 09:06 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the ECU can be cracked, just no one who is good enough had the motivation to be bothered with it.

I am pretty sure if George W Bush had a 2IS and wants more power, the government's intelligence agency's coding department will have the ECU unlocked within a week
Old 10-27-08, 02:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

There would remain not much value in doing it.

TOMs in japan can reprogram your japanese ecu. And they don't get anywhere near enough gains to be worth what they charge for it. (and much of the gain they DO get, running 5.8 lbs of boost instead of the 5 lbs the LMS kit ran, is because the program it to use 100 octane fuel instead of 91).

12:1 compression is a much bigger impediment to forced induction than the ECU is.
Old 10-28-08, 10:05 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
There would remain not much value in doing it.

TOMs in japan can reprogram your japanese ecu. And they don't get anywhere near enough gains to be worth what they charge for it. (and much of the gain they DO get, running 5.8 lbs of boost instead of the 5 lbs the LMS kit ran, is because the program it to use 100 octane fuel instead of 91).

12:1 compression is a much bigger impediment to forced induction than the ECU is.
IDK if I'm completely correct. But I'm sure that TOMS Japan is only capable of changing the air fuel ratio. Not timing, ignition, etc.
Old 10-29-08, 05:47 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
IDK if I'm completely correct. But I'm sure that TOMS Japan is only capable of changing the air fuel ratio. Not timing, ignition, etc.
Negative, their website (if you can find it with all the japanese) says they can change fuel maps -and- ignition timing (which they'd have to be able to do to make it use 100 octane fuel properly)- but of course only for JDM ecus, and it still doesn't add much power given the >$1000 cost for just the ECU service.

Ah, found it-

http://translate.google.com/translat...-8&sl=ja&tl=en

fuel map features, change the timing of ignition immobilizer speed limiter lifting of the linear electronic throttle response (AT-power mode when a more linear position will throttle for the Please note that during takeoff)

$1618 for just the ECU flash according to current exchange rates

Last edited by Kurtz; 10-29-08 at 05:53 AM.
Old 10-29-08, 09:14 PM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Negative, their website (if you can find it with all the japanese) says they can change fuel maps -and- ignition timing (which they'd have to be able to do to make it use 100 octane fuel properly)- but of course only for JDM ecus, and it still doesn't add much power given the >$1000 cost for just the ECU service.

Ah, found it-

http://translate.google.com/translat...-8&sl=ja&tl=en

fuel map features, change the timing of ignition immobilizer speed limiter lifting of the linear electronic throttle response (AT-power mode when a more linear position will throttle for the Please note that during takeoff)

$1618 for just the ECU flash according to current exchange rates

Thanks for the clarification. But stupid things like this, and still crazy high supra prices are why i have zo6 on the way.
Old 10-31-08, 12:58 AM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

lol...just read this post...just..don't know what to say....since i don't really know about cars....but...it has to be BS- -he is goner...after bsing so much...maybe he is going keep bs on other thing now
Old 11-09-08, 12:02 PM
RFFG
Lexus Test Driver

damn, I want my 10 minutes back, lol
Old 11-12-08, 11:07 AM
crazybuggy
Racer

did it work?
Old 11-17-08, 08:10 PM
stash84
Rookie

of course not !

btw, ive seen a white is250 turbo here in miami..havent seen it in a while tho..
Old 11-18-08, 10:50 PM
windex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so you don't think I'm anti-performance or something.... my last car made over 500 horsepower, naturally aspirated. I did much of the work myself, and virtually all the "design" of the mods myself as far as what to use. I've owned turbochargers and superchargers. Hell, one of my wifes cars is a turbo supra with a built engine.

What that has done is given me a decent appreciate for what is really worth doing and what isn't, mod-wise.

Trying to cram forced induction onto a motor that has a lot of reasons NOT to use it isn't, IMHO, really worth doing.

A head gasket swap isn't exactly a half-hour job for example, and you'll need custom gaskets at this point since there's no market for thicker 2IS head gaskets (nor is there really likely to be).

TOMs can change fuel maps and timing by the way, otherwise they wouldn't be able to let the car make use of 100 octane fuel to run the extra 0.8 lbs of boost over the LMS unit (5.8 on 100 octane vs. 5 on 93)

Let me give you a good lexus parallel.

Try and find some info on ways to add good power, na, to an SC300.

You won't find much. Because it doesn't make much sense to do it.

For the cost of adding maybe 30-40 hp with electric fans, intake, exhaust, headers, etc.... you could just as easily have swapped a 1JZ or 2JZ motor in there and added over 100 hp (more with a boost controller).

So again, look at the 2IS cars and the market.

Somewhere around 80% of them are 250s. The best, cheapest, most reliable option for them is to trade for a 350. You're simply NOT going to produce a commercially viable FI kit for that car that is cheaper than that with better power gains. At best you -might- find a way to make it cheap enough to add 1/3-1/2 the power for 100% of the cost. Not a great business model.

Why would you spend $6000 on an FI kit to add 40 horsepower to a 250 when you can spend $4000 to add 100 horsepower by getting a 350 instead?

I'm sure there's a few folks who'll do it just to be different, but not enough to support a business.

Probably 15% or better of what is left is IS350s. Now, there's some more room here since the price gap from 350->ISF is much larger than 250->350.

But you're already in a fairly small market. And it's one where the one company that already tried, LMS, got out of the business because they had no takers. Physics is physics so there's not going to be some magical breakthrough that suddenly lets you build a $2000 kit that adds 100 hp to the 2GR motor. $6000 for 40 hp is what LMS offered. You could probably get it a little cheaper, maybe even eek a little bit more out of it. On your best day you're still not doing better than maybe $5000 for 50 hp if you're doing this as a business. And that's not a great business plan either.

You could possibly start getting into the motor to run some more boost... but there's SO much sensor and ECU control of this motor it's anyones guess what a thicker headgasket will end you up with... keep in mind the engine uses specially shaped pistons, direct injection that uses a stratified charge in open loop warm up, deeper set spark plugs, etc... you could experiment I guess if you had the budget for a spare guinea pig IS350. And it might work. Or you might go through a few expensive engines you'll have to sell a lot more kits than LMS did to even break even on your development for... and if you do manage to eek an extra 2 lbs of boost out of this development you're now jacked the end-user cost back up for having to swap their head gaskets, which is expensive labor on a V6, what with 2 cylinder heads (not that it's super cheap labor on a straight 6 either as supra owners will tell you).

So now you're down to the maybe 5% of 2IS owners with an IS-F (and that's probably a very high guess).

These folks you'll find a few willing to drop a load of cash on a custom FI kit, no doubt. And with a stronger motor you have more to work with too...That's what the TT people discussed earlier are shooting for. But they'll be few and far between and pretty much be one-off type deals.

Now, if you want "cheap" power for the 2IS... take a look at nitrous.

It's not always on, but Jeremy has been running 50 and 65 shots and gotten pretty nice results for a whole lot less than the cost of a turbo or supercharger setup... and really, having owned a stupid powerful car, you don't need or use that extra power 90% of the time anyway, so an on-demand setup would work find for most folks.

I wish I had someone like you to tell me all that before i bought my 350 haha and whats Jeremys user name i have questions about running my 350 on nitrous
Old 11-19-08, 04:32 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by windex
I wish I had someone like you to tell me all that before i bought my 350 haha and whats Jeremys user name i have questions about running my 350 on nitrous
HKS350 is his SN. He is also running an 80 shot that put him in the mid 12's on his 20" wheels.
Old 12-08-08, 08:45 PM
tlutsky
Driver School Candidate

what a waist..... Frank i hope you read this...... Your a homo.......
Old 12-09-08, 05:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RFFG
damn, I want my 10 minutes back, lol
I'm glad I didn't waste 10 minutes here. lol
Old 12-09-08, 08:11 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Someone should lock this pointless thread.

Quick Reply: Turbo