Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any Negatives to running a SAFC?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 11:16 PM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Negatives to running a SAFC?

To all you guys that are running a SAFC...as long as your SAFC is intalled and properly tunded, is there any long-term negative effects to your engine? I've tried searching and all I get is how good/great the outcome is, but nothing about possible harm to the engine. I've even tried doing random Google searches on the matter and have not found anything. All I have on my car ('01 GS430) is an Injen intake and magnaflow mufflers. Will this harm my engine in any way long term? This is my daily driver. I'm really considering this mod after seeing all the dyno results. Any input would be very appreciated.
Old 09-02-08, 04:35 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

I have a SAFC on a stock 2004 gs300 for couple months now nuttin wrong..i notice gas is a bit better than stock but should be alright if installed right.
Old 09-02-08, 06:43 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My Apexi Neo is great and had it on my '00 GS400 for about 6 mos now! Just to play it safe I didn't want to "street tune" it myself...so I had it dyno tuned to make sure the A/F mixtures are not too lean/rich.
Old 09-02-08, 07:36 AM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Thanks for the inputs. Yeah, I'm definitely not going to try to tune it myself. I was just worried about wearing out my injectors (if that's even possible), messing up my engine, burning out my cats cuz I'm running too rich, etc.
Old 09-02-08, 08:47 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It's very simple to tune, but if you don't know whats going on then I suggest you take it to a shop. The factory tune for the GS is actually on the rich side. You can lean it out slightly and you will gain back some power and get better gas mileage. The more mods that are on your car, the more you will gain from the SAFC. Ever wonder why people gain so much power with the SRT intake? It's because it comes with a "pre-programmed" MAF signal modifier(basically what the SAFC does). The upside to the SRT is that it's pre-tuned for that intake specifically, but the downside is that it's non adjustable. So if you get more mods in the future, you can't retune the car to get the most out of it with the pre-programmed SRT unit.
Old 09-03-08, 07:27 AM
PineGreen
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'll be picking one up. I just didn't want to worry about messing up my engine by using this long term since it does change how the stock engine reads things.