Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Leaking radiatior lead to blown engine head???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 04:41 PM
AcesUp36
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking radiatior lead to blown engine head???

I noticed my temperature gauge needle suddenly hit HOT so I pulled over and checked my coolant level. The radiator was empty so I took off the radiator cap and poured water into it. I noticed the water was leaking from the bottom of the radiator. I stopped at the closest mechanic I could find and asked for his opinion. He believes I may have a blown engine head and doesnt know if its worth fixing the radiator. After I let it sit for about a hour it started up fine so I tried to drive it home which was about 30 miles away from the mechanics shop. I stopped every 15 minutes to pour more water into it but the engine sounded awful by the time I got home. Should I fix the radiator? Can a synthetic oil change help recondition a cylinder head?
Old 09-03-08, 04:43 PM
AcesUp36
Driver School Candidate

1999 GS400 - 265,000 miles
Old 09-03-08, 04:52 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

You shouldn't have driven it leaking like that. More than likely you've damaged the engine.

Synthetic motor oil won't help this problem.
Old 09-03-08, 05:16 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

oil is not going to recondition your head. if your head gasket is blown, there will be a mixture of radiator fluid in your oil. sometimes its not the case but that is a sure sign your head gasket is blown. what kind of noise is it making? where is the leak coming from? if it leaking from the radiator? i would replace the radiator first and trouble shoot from there.

future note, if you must drive the car on "hot", turn your heater on full blast.
Old 09-03-08, 05:21 PM
AcesUp36
Driver School Candidate

It makes a rattling noise when I press on the gas pedal but goes away once I'm its in gear. The water was leaking directly from the radiator so I guess I should try to get that fixed first as you said. The noise definitely sounds like it could be a blown head gasket.
Old 09-03-08, 05:25 PM
AcesUp36
Driver School Candidate

How much do you guys think I'm going to have to shell out to have the radiator and head gasket repaired. I assume they may have to resurface the cylinder head and some other things to the engine head. There is a ton of body damage and I had plans to put a body kit on it and have repainted but I think I might be better off getting another GS400. I seen a few for under $8,000 with about 150,000 miles which isnt bad considering my GS has 260,000+.
Old 09-03-08, 06:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Get another GS. The headgasket job on the GS is going to cost you about $1500 parts/labor at a local shop. Independent Lexus shops will be around $2000. We haven't touched base on the radiator either.

Did you notice any white smoke coming out of the exhaust (not a start-up)? White smoke will indicate a blown headgasket.
Old 09-03-08, 10:22 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

as gsteg said, white smoke coming out from the exhaust, its the mixture of your radiator fluid mixing in.

i cant tell you what the rattle is but if it was me this is what i would do.

fix the radiator and see if your problems go away. if that doesnt solve the issue, get another gs. you will have a new radiator to put into your other gs with 150k + miles.

blown head gaskets dont make noise...atleast none in all the instances i have seen.
Old 09-03-08, 10:36 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very tired right now, but did you check the color of your oil?
Old 09-03-08, 10:37 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...wn_head_gasket
Old 09-04-08, 09:27 AM
AcesUp36
Driver School Candidate

It started right up this morning without any real noticeable noises. There was a little smoke coming out of the exhaust but it always does that in the morning. I didnt think of driving it any further without getting it to hold some coolant. I'm hoping the damage to the engine was minimal. As far as getting the radiator fixed what do you guys think of Bars Radiator Sealant, www.barsproducts.com A mechanic said to me that it works for a few weeks but I should still change the radiator.

Last edited by AcesUp36; 09-04-08 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-04-08, 09:30 AM
AcesUp36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TLW
Very tired right now, but did you check the color of your oil?
I checked the color of the oil through the dipstick and it looked normal.
Old 09-04-08, 10:36 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Dont use any of that sealant stuff in your car. You can block the cooling channels in the engine block once the sealant has done its job.

Time to replace the radiator and hope for the best. BTW, engines will idle funny and drive very sluggishly with low/no coolant. Make sure once you get the new radiator in, you have to bleed the cooling system to get air out.
Old 09-05-08, 01:31 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

like gsteg said, do not use that stuff. it can clog all sorts of stuff inside your block and not to mention the thermostat. just replace the radiator. properly "burp" the coolant system so you dont have any air bubbles.

remember, if you start to overheat, turn on your heater to full blast.
Old 09-05-08, 08:19 AM
AcesUp36
Driver School Candidate

I'm starting to believe that the coolant is leaking from a hose or a leak through the overflow resevoir. I poured some coolant into the radiator and it rapidly drips out from the the resevoir area. I'm going to take her to a mechanic I know who is pretty fair with his labor charges. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Leaking radiatior lead to blown engine head???