Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lexus IS350 06-07 Prostreet S/C Kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-08, 05:54 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pylee257
^ thanks now thats the kind of advise i need..one more question, due to the high compression of our motors, has anyone ever took apart the internals or rebuilt the motor (forged pistons, dish pistons, etc) in order to lower the compression ratio to a more desirable 8:1. im asking this because i hear a lot of people with b16 motors with the same compression as mine are lowering theirs to about 8.3-5..and to those who are running the blower right now.. are you guys noticing any signs of engine wear, ping, etc? or have you even took apart the internals to see?
This is a little more complicated than a B-series motor. The piston has to be desgined to "pool" fuel at the spark plug tip. Just lowering the compression will put this "pooling" effect further away from the spark plug. The DI injector sprays onto the piston, the piston is desgined to swirl the fuel toward the tip of the spark plug. Makes piston desgin tricky!
Old 09-23-08, 10:27 PM
ddquach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

interesting thought. maby i should just try what KMRIS350 was telling me and work on up starting from 1lb of boost. does anyone know how much compression the engine can take. i did the calculations and a 12:1 compression ratio boosted with 5psi at a target altitude of 0ft would be 16.08 :1. thanks for all the help guys, just trying to be safe
One more thing I would recommend if your going to do this project. Get methahol/water injection. It will help your motor from denoation if you didnt have it. Better safe than sorry. From what I remember these motor are still expensive as hell. Also I look into lower the compression as well but like other said its way cheaper to just sell your car and buy another one will more power. I believe the quotes I got was like 30k+ to do it right. Piston, valve, spring, etc....
Old 09-23-08, 10:56 PM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a particular brand of meth/water kit?
Old 09-24-08, 12:48 AM
pylee257
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ddquach
I believe the quotes I got was like 30k+ to do it right. Piston, valve, spring, etc....
ouch 30k. thats the price of the car
Old 09-24-08, 06:43 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interesting thought. maby i should just try what KMRIS350 was telling me and work on up starting from 1lb of boost. does anyone know how much compression the engine can take. i did the calculations and a 12:1 compression ratio boosted with 5psi at a target altitude of 0ft would be 16.08 :1. thanks for all the help guys, just trying to be safe
First off What do you want to achieve from the kit? are you looking for decent bump in power 4-6 boost w/o adding anything(injectors ,piggyback,ECU etc) just factory ECU or are looking for 100-125hp +,8-10 psi??
With the IS250 you may be charting new ground since there are mo kits made in US atleast so a lot of trail and error. Nothing wrong w/ that if you have deep $$ pockets.
I would 1st contact Steve Larkin at LMS (Like ddquach said) since he has done the R & D for the IS350 kit maybe a minor issue why he did not offer it for the IS250. If it the LMS kit fits on yours you may have to just lower the compression some.
Adding large boost to a high compression engine brings on many issues.
Old 09-24-08, 08:02 AM
pylee257
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
First off What do you want to achieve from the kit? are you looking for decent bump in power 4-6 boost w/o adding anything(injectors ,piggyback,ECU etc) just factory ECU or are looking for 100-125hp +,8-10 psi??
With the IS250 you may be charting new ground since there are mo kits made in US atleast so a lot of trail and error. Nothing wrong w/ that if you have deep $$ pockets.
I would 1st contact Steve Larkin at LMS (Like ddquach said) since he has done the R & D for the IS350 kit maybe a minor issue why he did not offer it for the IS250. If it the LMS kit fits on yours you may have to just lower the compression some.
Adding large boost to a high compression engine brings on many issues.
i have already talked to steve @ LMS and he said that they have done two installs on an IS250 (not sure on the validity on his claim) without a problem. All im looking for from this kit is, a decent bump in power and more than anything torque, as well as being able to be one of the few IS250's with a supercharger kit out there. Plus its a hell of a project, and i think thats also what intrigues me into doing this. LMS said that they have piping, can make me pullys, and they also have the brackets. all i would need to source is the blower head unit, and the IC. but i would have to make the IC myself since it is a complete custom fabrication to begin with. if anyone has the dimensions and depth of the intercooler, that would help out immensly. more important than dimensions per se is the piping has to match up. new IC ideas to make the blower run more efficiently would not be a bad idea
Old 09-24-08, 08:47 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should have time to take apart my car this weekend. So I'll keep you posted on the specs of the intercooler pylee257, I will also be doing a Defi boost gauge install this weekend so we'll see how many lbs I should be putting out. I'm very surprised that LMS is still willing to help out, cause when I called Steve just kept brushing me off, like he didn't want to help which was bad on his part but whatever.
Old 09-24-08, 10:27 AM
2slow
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I called them and asked them if they still have parts from previous Supercharger kits. They said " We're sorry, but we don't make performance parts anymore." Hm...I shall call them again and see what they said this time.
Old 09-24-08, 11:11 AM
pylee257
Lead Lap

the type of procharger you guys are using is the "C-2" right?
Old 09-24-08, 11:12 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^Correct!
Old 09-24-08, 11:30 AM
pylee257
Lead Lap

thanks. let me know about that IC. i really want to get in on this
Old 09-24-08, 01:15 PM
combfilter
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i am with kurtz on this one. I am trying to figure out why you would spend at the cheapest 4k on an is250 to get half of what you would get out of spending that 4k upgrading to an is350. Furthermore, the is350 has a full warranty. If it's the aspect of "being one of few is250's out there w/ sc" wouldn't you then ask yourself why this is the case? I just hate to see people waste money and possibly lead to warranty and other failures down the road. You also get upgraded brakes with the IS350 which is often over looked.

anyways, good luck. I am curious to see how it comes out.
Old 09-24-08, 01:48 PM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by combfilter
i am with kurtz on this one. I am trying to figure out why you would spend at the cheapest 4k on an is250 to get half of what you would get out of spending that 4k upgrading to an is350. Furthermore, the is350 has a full warranty. If it's the aspect of "being one of few is250's out there w/ sc" wouldn't you then ask yourself why this is the case? I just hate to see people waste money and possibly lead to warranty and other failures down the road. You also get upgraded brakes with the IS350 which is often over looked.

anyways, good luck. I am curious to see how it comes out.
Unless his is a manual but even if it is 4g..not even half the power you gain from a is350 just to drive a manual boosting 250, mind as well dump 4g onto manual civic...just my opinion lol
Old 09-24-08, 02:44 PM
pylee257
Lead Lap

The warranty is up. already upgraded my brakes. i plan on keeping this car for a while as something to work on. already looking into a new c63. problems solved. and i won the lotto..jk in on the lotto part thank you for your concern
Old 09-24-08, 02:50 PM
pylee257
Lead Lap

but with all honesty i do have my second thoughts. why else would i be posting here asking questions.. just want to stick to one thing and get it done. $ is not too much of an option, so i figure i should atleast have a little fun with the car i bought

Last edited by pylee257; 09-24-08 at 02:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350 06-07 Prostreet S/C Kit