Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Lexus IS350 06-07 Prostreet S/C Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-08, 12:26 AM
XhyDra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if anyone's seen this article yet from SuperStreet,
considering if it would be possible at all, look at the HP numbers on this
IS250 from K&N, they're using the Procharger.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...250/index.html

It's got me thinking,
I'm guessing it could be a JDM model though.

Last edited by XhyDra; 10-01-08 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-01-08, 12:33 AM
Sytfu_IS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XhyDra

It's got me thinking,

From what I heard, this is250 was destroyed after the sema show
Old 10-01-08, 04:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by XhyDra

It's got me thinking,

Not only was it destroyed after the shows it only made those numbers running a nitrous kit on top of the supercharger.
Old 10-01-08, 05:21 AM
shadow191
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone is willing to fabricate a custom bracket for $2-300? That seems rather low to me since it is a CNC'd piece that requires a very exact tolerance. If it's off even a little bit, belts will snap and so on. I used to have a Nissan Maxima with a Stillen SC kit (Vortech blower). Even the bracket they sent me wasn't perfect and I had to keep shimming it to prevent belts from shredding. That was the main reason I took it off and went the custom turbo route. Eventually, some guys started making custom brackets that allowed the use of different blowers. But if I recall correctly, they were much more expensive that $2-300. Keep in mind that they were making them in batches so that already reduces the cost. For a one off piece, I think your estimate is low. I used to be in the aftermarket parts business and we fabricated a lot of stuff and outsourced a lot of CNC work. I know that none of the shops we used could have done it for this cheaply.

BTW, other than no aftermarket engine management system, is there a reason no one has put a custom turbo on the car? If the turbo were sized correctly and run on low boost, it would put out roughly the same power as the LMS setup which means that it should be able to be run on the factory fuel system. I know the space in there is tight, is that one of the constraints?

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
Piecing a kit together is still not cheap but a bit less than the LMS kit. some of their price is for their R & D.

I came up w/ this list ( of course any discount you can get the better)

Pro charger retails esti $2700
custom bracket esti $200-300
crank pulley made approx? 200-300
filter $50
S/C pulley $75
tension pulley $25
Hoses esti $100-150
Aluminum piping esti $150-250
inter cooler esti $300-400

ned to add anything to it?

around $3500 give or take $. still a decent saving.
Old 10-01-08, 06:49 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Money to power ratio isn't worth it for a lot of people. I would do it but dont wanna be the guinea pig, so I went with the SC instead
Old 10-01-08, 07:35 AM
dAiLL3sT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
Not only was it destroyed after the shows it only made those numbers running a nitrous kit on top of the supercharger.
y was the IS destroyed?
Old 10-01-08, 07:38 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

^^They meant taken apart.
Old 10-01-08, 07:50 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

High compression makes any boost a not-great idea.

Space and cost make the turbo a worse idea than the supercharger... now you don't just need to fab some intake plumbing and hardware to mount it all you ALSO need to fab exhaust plumbing, at least 1 custom header, etc...

Generally it won't be possible to do cheaply enough to be worth doing for the small amount of boost that will be possible on factory ecu and a 12:1 CR. Might as well just put a nitrous kit on for a fraction of the cost, given how rarely most folks will use the extra power anyway.

And all that is for a 350... for a 250 it'll obviously be WAY cheaper and more reliable to just trade it for a 350 with even more gains than any of the above solutions could provide.

Now, if you don't mind spending a lot too much to do something unique, by all means fab up a turbo kit...I'm sure it's physically possible, it's just not really worth the time, effort, and cost for the minor gains you'll see.
Old 10-01-08, 09:16 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow191
Someone is willing to fabricate a custom bracket for $2-300? That seems rather low to me since it is a CNC'd piece that requires a very exact tolerance. If it's off even a little bit, belts will snap and so on. I used to have a Nissan Maxima with a Stillen SC kit (Vortech blower). Even the bracket they sent me wasn't perfect and I had to keep shimming it to prevent belts from shredding. That was the main reason I took it off and went the custom turbo route. Eventually, some guys started making custom brackets that allowed the use of different blowers. But if I recall correctly, they were much more expensive that $2-300. Keep in mind that they were making them in batches so that already reduces the cost. For a one off piece, I think your estimate is low. I used to be in the aftermarket parts business and we fabricated a lot of stuff and outsourced a lot of CNC work. I know that none of the shops we used could have done it for this cheaply.

BTW, other than no aftermarket engine management system, is there a reason no one has put a custom turbo on the car? If the turbo were sized correctly and run on low boost, it would put out roughly the same power as the LMS setup which means that it should be able to be run on the factory fuel system. I know the space in there is tight, is that one of the constraints?
I agree the bracket cost is probably low that is why I said estimate. It depends on what resources people have available to them. When I priced a piece of 1/2" aluminum and checked w/ a local shop to to see what it would take to do one for my GS,it was around $300. I think$75 for the bracket & $250 to cut the pattern. SRT wanted $500 for the same bracket.

I'm sure the boost is kept low to run on stock ECU & the high compression. Limited room limits what you can tuck in the engine bay.
It is odd how some car just take off a few years out and the tuners are making tons of stuff and some cars just get an intake & exhaust for performance parts.
The Is 300 at one time tuners had 4-5 turbo or S/C kits for it. And the Nissan 350Z the tuners are all over that.

I know the LMS kit is pricey but I give props to any tuner that steps up to the plate to make some performance parts. Someone can now build upon it ,change it and improve what is started. The more competition brings the price down.
Old 10-01-08, 10:42 AM
synapse
Driver School Candidate

The stalling is probably due to the MAF. Are you guys blowing through the MAF on this setup, or sucking through?

If you are sucking through the MAF, the easy fix is to use the recirculation fitting and recirc the discharge of the Synchronic BOV back after the MAF. I would definitely recommend this, as it is very dangerous to stall, especially on an automatic car.
Old 10-01-08, 04:39 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

What do you mean blowing through or sucking through? If you're saying what I think you are, than I am sucking through as the BOV is after the MAF.
Old 10-01-08, 04:45 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

^it means if your MAF is before the compressor or after the compressor.
Old 10-01-08, 04:52 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Oh ok...its after LOL
Old 10-02-08, 09:09 AM
synapse
Driver School Candidate

You should probably, recirculate the discharge of the Synapse BOV between the MAF and Turbo inlet
Old 10-02-08, 09:21 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I'm kinda new to this boost thing, so do you have a diagram or something to show? I'll have pics up this weekend to show how the system looks.

Quick Reply: Lexus IS350 06-07 Prostreet S/C Kit