Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-08, 05:31 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Mufflers

I want to change just stock mufflers. Does anyone has this set up? Only aftermarket muffler - will it give the typical V8 roar? I don't want anything loud, I want something like stock IS-F or so. What if I'll just go to local muffler shop and tell them to cut old, and weld new mufflers in, how much it will run me approx?

Thanks.
Old 09-19-08, 07:31 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you should just save for a full tanabe exhaust..not loud at all..i see you came from a civic
Old 09-19-08, 07:33 PM
McKrevice
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I told myself that if I ever decided to upgrade, I would get this set up.

Sell me your stock mufflers. One of mine is jacked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGrAoDG2jRA
Old 09-19-08, 08:30 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wowitztai
you should just save for a full tanabe exhaust..not loud at all..i see you came from a civic
Lol and how does civic realates to my question? Btw I had full exhaust on civic back then. Headers, catless, GReddy EVO 2 catback, Greddy e-manage and other stuff.

Anyway, so will it sound pretty decent if I'll just change mufflers? Has anyone done it here? Any vids?

Thanks.
Old 09-19-08, 08:36 PM
Ray1284
Driver School Candidate

I got Greddy Evo's...not too loud at all..only time you can hear it is when your at a incline or when your gas'n it to pass someone...it sounds great not the riced out coffee can sound...
Old 09-19-08, 09:39 PM
253LEXX
Driver School Candidate

Default Flowmaster 40 series mufflers

I just had Flowmaster 40 series mufflers installed yesterday. They are considerably louder from 1000 to 2000 rpms. At 1800 rpm on the freeway, roughly 55, they drone quite a bit, but when I reach 2000rpms, or 60mph roughly, they are almost un-noticeble while cruising. They pick up in volume with more throttle, say when climbing a long hill, but all in all, not too bad for freeway cruising. I definitely like the deep tone they have! Sounds like a muscle car finally. Goes well with the SRT intake when you run up through the rpms, since you don't really hear the SRT until 2000 plus rpms. Definitely louder than stock, so if yo want something close volume wise, the Flowmaster 40 series aren't it.

I paid $349 plus tax for the mufflers, two tips which I am super happy with, and the install. Work was done by Austin Promax Performance in Tacoma, WA. They were very nice and did decent work, but I went to pick up the car after they had closed and the guy accidently put on the wrong tips! Had to bring it back today and they fixed it no problem except The mufflers are just barely rubbing on my tie downs in the rear. I'll either bend the hangers myself tonight when I go put on my cross-drilled and slotted rotors and EBC Reds that just showed up, or bring it back to them monday.

Sorry for the major digression there. That's my two cents. Any questions feel free to ask. And since I'm so nice I just went and took a couple photos for you.
Attached Thumbnails Mufflers-img_4413-cropped-and-correc-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-19-08, 09:41 PM
253LEXX
Driver School Candidate

Default Tip close up

Close up of the tip.
Attached Thumbnails Mufflers-img_4411-cropped-and-correc-medium-.jpg  
Old 09-20-08, 12:09 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 253LEXX
I just had Flowmaster 40 series mufflers installed yesterday. They are considerably louder from 1000 to 2000 rpms. At 1800 rpm on the freeway, roughly 55, they drone quite a bit, but when I reach 2000rpms, or 60mph roughly, they are almost un-noticeble while cruising. They pick up in volume with more throttle, say when climbing a long hill, but all in all, not too bad for freeway cruising. I definitely like the deep tone they have! Sounds like a muscle car finally. Goes well with the SRT intake when you run up through the rpms, since you don't really hear the SRT until 2000 plus rpms. Definitely louder than stock, so if yo want something close volume wise, the Flowmaster 40 series aren't it.

I paid $349 plus tax for the mufflers, two tips which I am super happy with, and the install. Work was done by Austin Promax Performance in Tacoma, WA. They were very nice and did decent work, but I went to pick up the car after they had closed and the guy accidently put on the wrong tips! Had to bring it back today and they fixed it no problem except The mufflers are just barely rubbing on my tie downs in the rear. I'll either bend the hangers myself tonight when I go put on my cross-drilled and slotted rotors and EBC Reds that just showed up, or bring it back to them monday.

Sorry for the major digression there. That's my two cents. Any questions feel free to ask. And since I'm so nice I just went and took a couple photos for you.
Looks good
Since you're so nice can you please also record video how it sounds?
Thanks.
Old 09-20-08, 01:45 PM
253LEXX
Driver School Candidate

I'm doing the brakes now, actually looking for torque specs at the moment, but I'll try and record a clip for you later today.
Old 09-20-08, 04:14 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 253LEXX
I'm doing the brakes now, actually looking for torque specs at the moment, but I'll try and record a clip for you later today.
Thanks.
Old 09-20-08, 04:18 PM
BuffGS
Driver School Candidate

2nd that the Greddy Evo is not very loud. Louder when you punch it.
Old 09-22-08, 08:59 AM
krazyGs3
Pole Position

I got dynomax mufflers and 4" tips. My 300 almost sounds like a v8. tone stays really low even at wide open. not that loud. also it a straight through muffler. To me it's better then a chambered muffler.

Last edited by krazyGs3; 09-22-08 at 09:02 AM. Reason: pic's added
Old 09-26-08, 04:11 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by krazyGs3
I got dynomax mufflers and 4" tips. My 300 almost sounds like a v8. tone stays really low even at wide open. not that loud. also it a straight through muffler. To me it's better then a chambered muffler.

How much did it cost you? Parts plus labor
Old 09-27-08, 09:12 AM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are several axle back set ups for our cars. I made the mistake of dropping some $ for the borla thinking it was a full system. when I installed them, I could not hear ish, so I had to remove the resonators to get the sound I was looking for.

Oh yeah, what up with the 2 legged horse?
Old 10-01-08, 09:56 AM
krazyGs3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
How much did it cost you? Parts plus labor
$450 aroud there...

Quick Reply: Mufflers