Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Haha, hate to keep asking so many questions BUT

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-08, 01:58 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah, i only want 300 maybe max 350 hp at the rear wheels, so it seems as tho NA-T will be the way to go. Time to start saving now the supra store has a kit for about 2k or 2500 if i remember correctly, that includes the AEM FIC but i'm sure would not be of the same caliber parts as jeff is using. I have no problem with changing injectors and pump, and would probably be able to install most of it myself, but i would definitely have it professionally tuned and dynoed and have the tricky stuff done professionally as well. I'd probably throw a tranny cooler in too just for good measure since it only costs a couple hundred bones.

thanks for the input fellas btw jeff, or anyone for that matter, any incriminating comments to be made about the kit that suprastore is selling? he said, as you mentioned, that to work with the vvti it would need the AEM FIC on top with good tuning. think it's an ok kit? i wouldn't have a lot of money to throw around so if i could grab that and itd do the trick i'd be happy, but if you have any experience with the kit blowing up or anything of the sort haha i'd like to know about it
Old 10-04-08, 02:05 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Where did you find the kit for $2500? I looked around on their site and didn't see it. For that price I just don't see how they can include brand name parts. They would end up selling it as a loss at that kind of price if they used good parts. The only way I can see how they can do it is by using cheap knock off parts and it SHOULD work out fine for lower hp levels, but I wouldn't trust it. Post the link up and I'll give you an honest opinion if it's good or not.
Old 10-04-08, 02:19 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

http://www.suprastore.com/tosutucokit1.html

its a t61 turbo, with the option for a GT35R for extra $$, and the AEM FIC you scroll down a bit and they have it for another 400 or so. Tial style (im assuming replica/knockoff) BOV is an extra 40 (50mm v-band), kit includes FMIC and i believe tubing?, oil lines, etc.

they claim 300whp at 7-9psi on stock injectors and pump, 350 if you change the pump, 400 and you need bigger injectors and extra engine management, etc. etc. with the headgasket kit and such as you go up higher in power.

it seems a stretch that only 7-9psi would up power to 300 at the wheels without changing injectors or fuel pump. I know the stock GE has 225 but cant remember if that's crank or wheel power.

either way, thats a BIG increase for only 7-9psi
Old 10-04-08, 03:30 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your going for cheap starter kit i think this is most everything you'll be needing minus fuel and management for about 1650

T61 turbo - use 4Runner distributor cap and rotor to avoid interference issues on distributor motors
12x24x3" polished aluminum front mount intercooler (4" upgrade available)
2JZ-GE polished stainless steel manifold, fully braced
40mm wastegate - compare to HKS
polished stainless steel dump tube
Choice of blow off valves, compare to Turbo XS -OR- Blitz
** or upgrade to 50mm V-Band mount BOV - RED, BLUE or clear anodize $40 extra - compare to Ti-Al
** or upgrade to the HKS SSQV I type for $30 extra
** or upgrade to the HKS SSQV II type for $40 extra
3" v-band clamp kit
3" v-Band polished stainless steel down pipe with 02 sensor bungs
teflon and braided stainless oil supply line, high temp drain lines & flanges
gaskets
turbo oil return plate (to oil pan)

:edit: i think it lacks piping which adds up real fast
Old 10-04-08, 03:39 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jriggs
if your going for cheap starter kit i think this is most everything you'll be needing minus fuel and management for about 1650

T61 turbo - use 4Runner distributor cap and rotor to avoid interference issues on distributor motors
12x24x3" polished aluminum front mount intercooler (4" upgrade available)
2JZ-GE polished stainless steel manifold, fully braced
40mm wastegate - compare to HKS
polished stainless steel dump tube
Choice of blow off valves, compare to Turbo XS -OR- Blitz
** or upgrade to 50mm V-Band mount BOV - RED, BLUE or clear anodize $40 extra - compare to Ti-Al
** or upgrade to the HKS SSQV I type for $30 extra
** or upgrade to the HKS SSQV II type for $40 extra
3" v-band clamp kit
3" v-Band polished stainless steel down pipe with 02 sensor bungs
teflon and braided stainless oil supply line, high temp drain lines & flanges
gaskets
turbo oil return plate (to oil pan)

:edit: i think it lacks piping which adds up real fast
yeah, thats the exact same kit i just posted.

it does lack piping, but only for the IC if i'm reading correctly. Comes with a downpipe with preinstalled o2 bungs, and suprastore offers a universal and modifiable hardpipe kit for i think another 275.00. And they also offer the engine management (AEM FIC) for 400.

so alltogether, youre looking at 1600 for the kit, 40 for the BOV upgrade (i like polished things ), 400 for the FIC, 275 for the hardpipe kit and maybe another 100 to cover for extra parts/labor for the piping?

obviously installation and dyno tuning extra but ballpark for the complete kit, as long as it's not ****ty stuff, it's only looking at $2415...

add another thousand or so for install/dyno (i have connects) and a couple hundred to spring for a new Ypipe since mine's old (downpipe in kit and keeping L-tuned axle-back). that's a fairly complete boost setup for a few thousand.
Old 10-04-08, 03:44 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

the one i posted is off clubna-t didn't read your link same sounds like the same stuff lol

i think na-t has a deal going on all the piping and such you'd need right now for very cheap

on a buddies supra he ran the clubna-t kit for about a year before swaping the motor. at 7lbs of boost he used a sfac2 for fuel, when he went more well it got more complicated lol.

Last edited by jriggs; 10-04-08 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-04-08, 03:46 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jriggs
the one i posted is off clubna-t didn't read your link same sounds like the same stuff lol

i think na-t has a deal going on all the piping and such you'd need right now for very cheap
lol thats good but i wouldn't be doing it too soon in the near future.
Old 10-05-08, 05:51 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Yep, that's basically the XS Power kit. 100% knock off parts
As I said, it will be GOOD ENOUGH for low boost 5-9psi. But don't trust those parts to hold you into higher boost for long. I use the "knock off" manifold and intercooler to save on cost. A brand name manifold is crazy priced at around $1000-2000! Every other part I use for my cars are of high quality that will last a while and do so under abuse/racing as well. From my testing as well as my other friends testing. So far the manifolds and intercoolers hold up just fine around 600-800hp range. The other parts in that kit...no so much lol.

You pretty much get what you pay with that kit. You will have to fab up your own intercooler piping and do all the mounting and fitting. It's a fun weekend project if you're on a budget
Old 10-05-08, 08:20 AM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is a good place to buy individ. parts?
Old 10-05-08, 11:06 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Yep, that's basically the XS Power kit. 100% knock off parts
As I said, it will be GOOD ENOUGH for low boost 5-9psi. But don't trust those parts to hold you into higher boost for long. I use the "knock off" manifold and intercooler to save on cost. A brand name manifold is crazy priced at around $1000-2000! Every other part I use for my cars are of high quality that will last a while and do so under abuse/racing as well. From my testing as well as my other friends testing. So far the manifolds and intercoolers hold up just fine around 600-800hp range. The other parts in that kit...no so much lol.

You pretty much get what you pay with that kit. You will have to fab up your own intercooler piping and do all the mounting and fitting. It's a fun weekend project if you're on a budget
haha well obviously my future setup and yours will be completely different. You think with injectors and maybe pump changed that kit will reliably hold 300-350 at the wheels on a good tune?
Old 10-05-08, 03:39 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
haha well obviously my future setup and yours will be completely different. You think with injectors and maybe pump changed that kit will reliably hold 300-350 at the wheels on a good tune?
if you want a reliable kit, your better off buying an SRT. It has everything you would need and all the parts are high quality but it's around $6-7k. As Jeff said, all the parts are knockoff's in the supra stores and you could get the one from mark@club na-t but your still going to have to buy a lot of parts to complete the kit. I'm probably going to buy individual parts so I can get a turbo set-up for less than the SRT. But in the end, it's your call. If you want to just get a complete kit, SRT is for you. If you want to go on the cheaper side, but it takes more time to get the conversion started and completed, get parts individually.

Thats my honest opinion. I'm probably wrong though, lol.
Old 10-05-08, 03:47 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mtparker18
if you want a reliable kit, your better off buying an SRT. It has everything you would need and all the parts are high quality but it's around $6-7k. As Jeff said, all the parts are knockoff's in the supra stores and you could get the one from mark@club na-t but your still going to have to buy a lot of parts to complete the kit. I'm probably going to buy individual parts so I can get a turbo set-up for less than the SRT. But in the end, it's your call. If you want to just get a complete kit, SRT is for you. If you want to go on the cheaper side, but it takes more time to get the conversion started and completed, get parts individually.

Thats my honest opinion. I'm probably wrong though, lol.
no you're right in your logic, however i'm just looking for a fairly conservative amount of power that will be reliable, still get good mileage as far as gas is concerned, and have that extra power on tap for when i do want to get on it once in a while. The car will absolutely not see much abuse, it'll just be funny to pull up on some cars that wouldn't expect it and blow their doors off now and then haha
Old 10-05-08, 07:19 PM
mtparker18
Lead Lap

I'd say go Jeff's way and pay the 4k and get the injectors and pump .

That's probably your cheapest, most reliable route.
Old 10-05-08, 09:28 PM
GS300Jason
Rookie

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
http://www.suprastore.com/tosutucokit1.html

its a t61 turbo, with the option for a GT35R for extra $$, and the AEM FIC you scroll down a bit and they have it for another 400 or so. Tial style (im assuming replica/knockoff) BOV is an extra 40 (50mm v-band), kit includes FMIC and i believe tubing?, oil lines, etc.

they claim 300whp at 7-9psi on stock injectors and pump, 350 if you change the pump, 400 and you need bigger injectors and extra engine management, etc. etc. with the headgasket kit and such as you go up higher in power.

it seems a stretch that only 7-9psi would up power to 300 at the wheels without changing injectors or fuel pump. I know the stock GE has 225 but cant remember if that's crank or wheel power.

either way, thats a BIG increase for only 7-9psi
225 is flywheel power on the GE.

I'm not sure if the GE is as strong as GTE, but from what I hear the stock GTE internals can withstand almost 1000hp. Although from my experience the GE motor is strong. Mines ran 18 months with rod knock while getting abused. 132K and adding additional power like 100hp you're asking for a rebuild...But then again I don't know how well you maintained your car. And I believe the stock tranny can hold up to 400hp if it is in good condition...

You mind as well do a whole swap like me...Cost me 7gs though LOL. GL which ever route you choose. I think it will cost you more in the long run if you do choose to stick with the 2jz-ge and put together a kit on it but it will put down some good numbers.

However with just a kit on I don't see you putting down 300hp to the wheels, maybe flywheel. Unless you get quality parts like Jeff stated and upgrade the injectors, wastegate, fuel pump. I don't think it would be long before you will need to rebuild your tranny.

If you're only going to hold onto the GS for another year, I say it's not worth it. You must not love it as much as some do. Sell it use the money to buy yourself a new car and the ~6K you save from not putting on a turbo kit.

Last edited by GS300Jason; 10-05-08 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-06-08, 09:36 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GS300Jason
225 is flywheel power on the GE.

I'm not sure if the GE is as strong as GTE, but from what I hear the stock GTE internals can withstand almost 1000hp. Although from my experience the GE motor is strong. Mines ran 18 months with rod knock while getting abused. 132K and adding additional power like 100hp you're asking for a rebuild...But then again I don't know how well you maintained your car. And I believe the stock tranny can hold up to 400hp if it is in good condition...

You mind as well do a whole swap like me...Cost me 7gs though LOL. GL which ever route you choose. I think it will cost you more in the long run if you do choose to stick with the 2jz-ge and put together a kit on it but it will put down some good numbers.

However with just a kit on I don't see you putting down 300hp to the wheels, maybe flywheel. Unless you get quality parts like Jeff stated and upgrade the injectors, wastegate, fuel pump. I don't think it would be long before you will need to rebuild your tranny.

If you're only going to hold onto the GS for another year, I say it's not worth it. You must not love it as much as some do. Sell it use the money to buy yourself a new car and the ~6K you save from not putting on a turbo kit.
well the car was very well maintained, as previously stated no smoke, no abnormal noises, still gets above average mileage for a car as old. I'm not positive how long I'll be holding on to it, could be a year, could be 2, could be 5, it all depends on my own financial situation and how my school ends up getting paid for. If I do end up keeping it for that long, it will definitely see either coilovers or a spring/strut drop, a set of wheels, and ideally an NA-T setup. When considering the NA-T route I had already accepted the idea of changing injectors and fuel pump. As for wastegate, it really i guess depends on the type of turbo used. Going based on my limited knowledge a decent kit should add between 30 and 40 percent power. Thus, 225 at the crank plus 2/5 of that will then be 55hp (going with an optimistic 40% haha), bringing output to 280hp. Considering I have a stock intake on right now, as well as a stock exhaust (the turbo manifold would definitely flow better than the stock header) up until my L-tuned rear section and no other power adders. Thus, going with a decent intake, and getting the midsection of my exhaust reworked (new, bigger tubing and high-flow cats since mine are probably almost shot) and a good tune, i dont see how more than 300 at the crank should be impossible. 20% of power is lost through the drivetrain, so 300 at the crank nets 240 at the wheels, 350 at the crank is 291 at the wheels, thus to achieve my goal of 300 at the wheels, i'd need 360 at the crank.

it is definitely a tall order, but i think that with the right injector/pump combo, a good kit (i'd probably piece one together now that i'm looking at it), and a good tune since i won't be beating on it that much, i'm more than confident that the GE internals would hold up. Like you said, there's one guy who's supra with a GTE is running 14000 or 1500hp daily driven. I would assume there are only negligable differences between the GE and the GTE. I think it's doable.

Quick Reply: Haha, hate to keep asking so many questions BUT