Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

resonators

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 09:09 AM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default resonators

I put on a set of Magnaflow mufflers a couple of months ago and although I'm much happier with the sound of the exhaust now, I still want a little more volume
There are three reseonators on my car, one looks like a small muffler and the other two are identical in size and shape and look like standard straight through resenators.

My question is, I would like just a "slight" increase in volume (10-20%) but I don't want the exhaust to be to loud...which resenator/resonators should I remove to get a small increase in exhuast sound?
I want a little more bark but I don't want excessive droning on the highway, I also don't want the car to be blaringly loud either.

As a guess, the small single resonator looks like it could be more of a restriction than the other two.
A friend recommends to remove the 2 large ones rather than the small one due the the "tones that are cancelled out"

ANY ideas, experience or crack-pot theories?
Is there really a difference is what "tones" the front vs. the rear reseonators cancel?
Old 10-06-08, 04:27 AM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a GS300 and ran magnaflows and also had my resonators taken off...I too wanted that extra '10-20%' of volume and taking off the resonators did just that
do take that with a grain of salt though because i am on a 300 and not on a V8 like yourself...
sorry i can't answer your question as to which resonators to take off, but just thought i'd chime in with my experience in removing them for my car.
Old 10-06-08, 05:18 AM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a GS4 as well but with the RMM exhaust. Like you I wanted a more aggressive sound so I had the resonators removed. No complaints from me. I'm not sure if there's a difference in the models but I only recall the two resonators. In any case, it definitely gives the car a more throaty sound, very noticeable difference, without being obnoxiously loud. Whenever anybody new gets in the car they ask what I've done with my engine or exhaust. Especially with the torque converter, 3.92 rear end, CAI, etc.
One of the cool things I noticed once the resonators were removed is you can actually hear/feel the car downshift better when you're slowing down and the revving is a lot more pronounced. When you get on it WOT is pretty fun. It sounds like a V8 should IMO.
Old 10-08-08, 09:29 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS wanted
I have 3.92 rear end
How do you like the lower gearing?
I've been thinking about swapping out my gears between my SC and GS, but I am not sure if I will like such low gearing since I realy like the mid and top end on the GS4.
Old 10-08-08, 09:33 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you guys that removed the resonators...was there much of an increase in interior noise? like drone on the highway? I have an L-tuned rear section now and would like some extra volume but don't want too much extra noise inside unless i roll the windows down to hear it

the guy with the 300 and the magnaflow mufflers/resonator delete, do you have a video of the sound? from what i can tell the ltuned and magnaflow sound is kinda similar.
Old 10-08-08, 09:41 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The sound when from stock to finally a little rumble, but nothing too crazy.
Borla on a GS4