Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Voltage systems/Grounding kits...any experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-08, 07:09 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Voltage systems/Grounding kits...any experiences?

Did a search, nothing conclusive. Well I have big plans for the GS but due to the economy theyre on hold right now. So, I've come across grounding kits/voltage systems that supposedly do something (some places claim better fuel milage which i doubt, better performance, more stable electrical/charging system). But, i've never had any experience with them and I know some other people have thought about it too.

Anybody tried/know someone who tried either of these kind of things?

I'm guessing theyre a waste of money but i'm hoping you guys can chime in.
Old 10-08-08, 08:02 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
Did a search, nothing conclusive. Well I have big plans for the GS but due to the economy theyre on hold right now. So, I've come across grounding kits/voltage systems that supposedly do something (some places claim better fuel milage which i doubt, better performance, more stable electrical/charging system). But, i've never had any experience with them and I know some other people have thought about it too.

Anybody tried/know someone who tried either of these kind of things?

I'm guessing theyre a waste of money but i'm hoping you guys can chime in.
They're nice but you're probably better off buying an Optima battery instead.
Old 10-08-08, 09:18 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
They're nice but you're probably better off buying an Optima battery instead.

I built my own grounding kit out of 8ga. monster cable and I did notice my rpms at idle get a little more stable. Damn VVT 1UZ's
Old 10-08-08, 09:21 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I built my own grounding kit out of 8ga. monster cable and I did notice my rpms at idle get a little more stable. Damn VVT 1UZ's
haha, well i'd have it on a vvti 2jz. doesn't seem like it'd make THAT much of a difference like i thought.
Old 10-08-08, 09:37 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
haha, well i'd have it on a vvti 2jz. doesn't seem like it'd make THAT much of a difference like i thought.
All VVT engines idle a little rough. This helpped a little with that, it may have helpped in other areas, but I could not tell. However; it helps out on the engine bay dress up. I didn't do it hopping to gain HP, besides free extra power cable or even the ebay stuff, why not?
Old 10-09-08, 09:32 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your motor isn't properly ground strapped then they can help with idle problems, on swapped cars they often help the idle because of well not the best motor grounding. on stock cars or cars with just bpu's don't expect much of anything.
Old 10-09-08, 10:10 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I upgraded with 0 gauge knukonceptz and it smoothed out voltage drops from my system.
Old 10-14-08, 04:25 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

GS FONZy--what did you all connect with said cables? Would you mind laying it out for us? I was going to do this, too, so I'm curious if I can make my own kit or if I should buy one.
Old 10-14-08, 05:33 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
GS FONZy--what did you all connect with said cables? Would you mind laying it out for us? I was going to do this, too, so I'm curious if I can make my own kit or if I should buy one.
I made my own because I had extra Monster power 8ga. wire and lugs. This was free to me since it was extra stuff laying around, so unless you have all these things laying around or you can obtain them for cheap, I would not go this route because you can buy grounding kits on ebay for around $20.
They all do the same thing, so I would not spend $80 or what ever the big name grounding kits cost.
Old 10-14-08, 08:00 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I did the same thing gsfonzy did. I had some extra stereo system 4ga wire laying around so I just crimped a few extra terminals myself and ran them to the grounds. I also added an extra 4ga running to my alternator since I have a upgraded 200A unit. The stock wiring is a puny 6ga.
Old 10-16-08, 01:02 AM
djspawn00
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also upgraded the big 3 with my own homemade grounding kit... mostly 4awg wiring that I have laying around after jobs... I'd like to upgrade my alternator sometime soon though since I'll be throwing in two Kinetic Batteries to support my beast of a sound system and by beast I mean my 10' SonyXplod Subs... jk.