Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Whats wrong with $600 ebay turbo kits?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 02:26 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Whats wrong with $600 ebay turbo kits?

Ok I know there are PLENTY of folx who just dont like ebay, I'm not looking for ebay slammers....

If someone isnt looking for huge gains and what not, whats wrong with just getting the inexpensive kits off of ebay?

Personally I'm interested in a turbo just to fill in that void that screams "GIVE ME TURBO" on the GS3. Dont really care about gains cause I'm sure it'll have some either way... so yea, what are the downfalls about that?
Old 10-16-08, 02:41 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

First of all it's going to cost more than $600. More like around $1200-1500 range for a "ebay kit". Second of all, it's not really a turbo kit either. It's just a couple of generic parts slapped together in a package, and not everything is of the highest quality. It will work fine, but not under extreme duty or for a very long time. You still have to do a bunch of custom fab work for the intercooler piping, and exhaust piping. Then there's mounting and lining up all the parts. After that, you will need to setup some kind of engine management to tune the car for higher fuel consumption. To top it all off, it comes with no instructions on how to do any of it.

So to sum it up, if you're good at DIY and know your way around turbos and such....then the ebay kit is a viable option. If you're looking for a simple to install and no issues setup then the ebay kit is not for you.

EDIT: In addition to the above. Most shops won't even touch the ebay kits because they're so incomplete. OR they will charge you out the *** for the extra labor if you really want them to custom fabricate everything on that kit to work for your car. So again, unless you plan on doing all the labor yourself or have a very good friend that is willing to help you out for cheap/free then try to stay away from the ebay kits. It might end up costing as much as a brand name kit if you take it to a shop to get installed

Last edited by JeffTsai; 10-16-08 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-16-08, 03:17 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

cool, some great points. and yea I would do the work my self and KNOW my way around engines, just not the GS. I have a fully built drag car in the garage and yea, obviously a tune would need to be had...

now you said parts would have to be lined up? which would those be? and you also mention about lots of fabbing? I thought that those kits were specific for the 2JZ engine? and were complete?

wait, I just read them again. they do say "universal" and no instructions.. so I see what you're saying. but other than the routing of the intercooler piping, wouldnt the DP, turbo manifold and turbo all be bolt on?

again, i'm ignorant to our engines
Old 10-16-08, 03:36 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The intercooler piping will have to be fabbed up. The downpipe will bolt up to that turbo, but you will have to make a custom B-pipe to attach from the downpipe to the Y-pipe. The stock B-pipe is a dual 2" into one 2.75" pipe, and the downpipe is just a single 3". Other than that everything should bolt up. Run the oil lines, drill and tap the flange for the oil return on the upper oil pan, bolt everything together and you should be good to go. You will also need a MAF flange or pipe with one welded on. Other than that everything should be relatively straightfoward if you know your way around turbos and engines. Just hook up the engine management, and upgrade fuel pump/injectors if you plan to go a lot more than stock power.

Oh yeah, if it were me I would keep the boost on those parts around 10-15psi range. I don't trust that cheap wastegate keeping my engine safe at 30psi lol.
Old 10-16-08, 03:40 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i was going to say, the actual turbos themselves from ebay are generally useless and make well short of the power they claim to make. also, the wastegates are normally not that great at regulating boost and also the few ive heard of tend to die quite quickly as in oil seals go or the bearing go and they chew themself up. i havent heard any good things really about them..!
Old 10-16-08, 03:44 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

shoot, 10psi would be much more than I would want anyways! I've already got a fast car... I'm not doing the sport/race GS, I'm going for the pimp GS the turbo is just for prettiness! extra power is just a plus!
Old 10-16-08, 03:46 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by [ant]
yeah i was going to say, the actual turbos themselves from ebay are generally useless and make well short of the power they claim to make. also, the wastegates are normally not that great at regulating boost and also the few ive heard of tend to die quite quickly as in oil seals go or the bearing go and they chew themself up. i havent heard any good things really about them..!
well what other options would there be to do a turbo with out having to spend a grip of money? as I said, it would be done mostly for cosmetic purposes, so $$ spent is wanted to be cheap (but not crap!)
Old 10-16-08, 03:47 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark at club na-t offers I decent turbo kit I've heard for like less than $1,200.
Old 10-16-08, 03:48 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

i guess its hard from my angle here in Australia but we get Garrett turbos quite cheaply relatively speaking so most people over here just go a Garrett turbo with universal lines to suit and then fab up the bits and peices as necessary which is pretty much what you would do with the ebay 'kit' anyway. I mean when you are going to the effort of fabbing things up to suit the turbo you might as well try and get one that will last some time!
Old 10-16-08, 03:49 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Mark at club na-t offers I decent turbo kit I've heard for like less than $1,200.
ugh.. thats still double of what the apparent crap ones go for on ebay
Old 10-16-08, 04:00 AM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
ugh.. thats still double of what the apparent crap ones go for on ebay
But it's of decent quality, the stuff fits, and you'll have some support if you need it. Actually, I would think his kit would save you money in the long run, but that's only based on what I've heard. Check out the forums at clubna-t.com.
Old 10-16-08, 04:08 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

oh yea, I wouldnt doubt that... I just dont like to spend so much on what I dont need! LoL. The way I figure, if I were to spend $1200 on a turbo, I might as well spend a little more and do the Aristo Swap.... (which I've thought about).
Old 10-16-08, 04:12 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

just get jefftsai to do it! he will do it for a small fee :P lol he knows his ****!!!
Old 10-16-08, 04:23 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

? I never said I coudlnt do it? I've fully built an engine before.
Old 10-16-08, 04:25 AM
handoverfi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
? I never said I coudlnt do it? I've fully built an engine before.
im just messn' with ya im sure you do know what your doing. Jefftsai tells me he can do things for me for a "small" fee when i ask him questions on this and that. the joke was geared for him lol

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with $600 ebay turbo kits?