Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Your Assistance Needed, Magnaflo Vs (your favorite pre-built setup)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 11:50 AM
iGOTlexy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Your Assistance Needed, Magnaflo Vs (your favorite pre-built setup)

Hey,

Update:

I am new to the scene and I have made a few posts here and there. I would like to take this oppurtunity to let everyone know that

Phase One - Lighting exterior and interior. Exterior complete with custom cleared tails, waiting for inners and sidemarkers cleared with orange bulb. Hids top and bottom 10k complete. Retrofit coming soon(no rings though)I got the 7 for that.

Phase Two - Suspension is here and ready to be installed

Phase three
- exhaust, where i need your help

This is where you guys come in.

I want to do a magnaflo setup rather than aftermarket to save some hassle. if I go magnaflo what size piping and mufflers should i use? I was thinking hollowed cats but I don't know if their is an o2 sensor simulator chip. I had someone quote me 375 for the complete custom catback. If anything someone convince me that magnaflo aint the way to go. Just want feed back before i feel like crap later
Old 10-16-08, 12:06 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by iGOTlexy
Hey,

Update:

I am new to the scene and I have made a few posts here and there. I would like to take this oppurtunity to let everyone know that

Phase One - Lighting exterior and interior. Exterior complete with custom cleared tails, waiting for inners and sidemarkers cleared with orange bulb. Hids top and bottom 10k complete. Retrofit coming soon(no rings though)I got the 7 for that.

Phase Two - Suspension is here and ready to be installed

Phase three
- exhaust, where i need your help

This is where you guys come in.

I want to do a magnaflo setup rather than aftermarket to save some hassle. if I go magnaflo what size piping and mufflers should i use? I was thinking hollowed cats but I don't know if their is an o2 sensor simulator chip. I had someone quote me 375 for the complete custom catback. If anything someone convince me that magnaflo aint the way to go. Just want feed back before i feel like crap later
your best bet would be this if you wanted to piece it together:

magnaflow 14289 mufflers
remove resonators in favor of 2.5" pipe
high flow cats (i believe magnaflow makes them)
header (mazzuri if GS3, S&S if GS4)

if you're going to go full custom pipe from the cat back, id recommend 2.5" pipe. but still use magnaflow 14289's.

i was lucky enough to grab an l-tuned axle-back from another member on here, so i'm thinking of removing the resonators and calling it a day, leaving the header alone since boost may be in my future
Old 10-17-08, 10:53 AM
iGOTlexy
Lead Lap

thanks ^ any one else have views they would like to share ?
Old 10-17-08, 12:15 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

the bigger the muffler the more the sound is decreased, so choose your muffler accordingly. And of course, an oval magnaflow muffler will dampen sound more than a round muffler. Magnaflow makes a bunch of different mufflers, with polished ones with many different styles of tips so it's really up to you.

I would stick with 2.5" piping or maybe even 2.25" piping since it will have dual outlets. Don't go any bigger than 2.5 if you're going to be only bolt-ons as it would decrease exhaust gas velocity (therefore decreasing power).

I'd also ask you to reconsider hollowing out your cats. I don't think the 10 extra horsepower (and I'm being generous here) is really worth the extra emissions unless your gs400 is in some type of race class where every extra horsepower counts. Going with a high flow cat from magnaflow is a good balance between power gains and emissions.

I've had great experience with Magnaflow products on race cars as well as street cars. Just make sure whoever does your exhaust system will take the time to make it to your liking. A gs400 is really easy to make sound really really good.
Old 10-18-08, 12:07 PM
iGOTlexy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fat Felix
the bigger the muffler the more the sound is decreased, so choose your muffler accordingly. And of course, an oval magnaflow muffler will dampen sound more than a round muffler. Magnaflow makes a bunch of different mufflers, with polished ones with many different styles of tips so it's really up to you.

I would stick with 2.5" piping or maybe even 2.25" piping since it will have dual outlets. Don't go any bigger than 2.5 if you're going to be only bolt-ons as it would decrease exhaust gas velocity (therefore decreasing power).

I'd also ask you to reconsider hollowing out your cats. I don't think the 10 extra horsepower (and I'm being generous here) is really worth the extra emissions unless your gs400 is in some type of race class where every extra horsepower counts. Going with a high flow cat from magnaflow is a good balance between power gains and emissions.

I've had great experience with Magnaflow products on race cars as well as street cars. Just make sure whoever does your exhaust system will take the time to make it to your liking. A gs400 is really easy to make sound really really good.
I am thinking basic boltons, so yes i am thinking 2.5 inch piping and ill let the muffler shop pick the right muffler. what is the ideal good sound ? low or high , dense, i dont know what words could describe it. but usually my instinct points the same way as the majority of car enthusiasts the MINORITY. I was thinking eclass style oval tips(i may aquire from a friend) or something oem of another make that would give it a good look.
Old 10-18-08, 06:10 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, the thing you think is a cat, it's not. It is a mid/third muffler.

Last edited by GS FONZy; 10-19-08 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-18-08, 07:09 PM
evil00017
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember looking into this setup alot since I am planing on doing it and If I remember correctly people make more hp using 2.25 piping instead of 2.5.
Old 10-20-08, 01:12 PM
bg_281
Driver

I just posted a video of my new exhaust setup... It is all done up with 2.5" pipe... Magnaflow Hi-flow cats, Universal 2.5" x-pipe, Magnaflow XL Turbo mufflers, With some oval tips from an aftermarket company. As far as hollowing out the cats... Don't do it!!! I made the mistake of hollowing out my cats and it ruined my acceleration... Everytime I took off the line my car felt so sluggish... hollowing out the cats was biggest mistake I ever made... thats actually the whole reason why I did a whole new exhaust setup...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=385791
Old 10-20-08, 01:23 PM
iGOTlexy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by evil00017
I remember looking into this setup alot since I am planing on doing it and If I remember correctly people make more hp using 2.25 piping instead of 2.5.
thanks, nice info. Are you sure ? anything about wich magnaflo does the best ?

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
FYI, the thing you think is a cat, it's not. It is a mid/third muffler.
K thnks

Originally Posted by bg_281
I just posted a video of my new exhaust setup... It is all done up with 2.5" pipe... Magnaflow Hi-flow cats, Universal 2.5" x-pipe, Magnaflow XL Turbo mufflers, With some oval tips from an aftermarket company. As far as hollowing out the cats... Don't do it!!! I made the mistake of hollowing out my cats and it ruined my acceleration... Everytime I took off the line my car felt so sluggish... hollowing out the cats was biggest mistake I ever made... thats actually the whole reason why I did a whole new exhaust setup...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=385791
yeah i was thinking 2.5 or 2.25. are you going turbo or just thought the mufflers are a better result. I met you at Mc donalds i think. You are the indian guy with the beige gs? if so lets meet up sometime so i can check out your setup