Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Squires Turbo Systems (STS) - has anyone heard of this

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-08, 10:04 PM
Fat Felix
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
thanks...I've got a turbo blanket and heat wrap all the way up to the headers to reduce lag...It my favorite vehicle to drive lately. Only thing I'm not into is worrying if my scavenger pump is working or not. Other than that, its a great product.
so how bad is it?
Old 10-19-08, 07:58 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
Heard people still install a intercooler as the air is still hot at the TB.

There's no kits for GS, but for 350Z, yes... problems are when it rains, snows, etc... might be great for Cali, but only Cali... or where you don't drive it in any weather...

People did mount it in the trunk inside the car to solve that problem... but needs someway to get the air into the trunk in the first place.
From what I can tell on the site, they fixed any issues with moisture and/or dirt entering the turbo. With that said, does anyone feel as though this is a viable option for the 2nd Gen or any 2jz-ge? It solves a LOT of associated typical boosting issues.
Old 10-19-08, 09:15 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
With that said, does anyone feel as though this is a viable option for the 2nd Gen or any 2jz-ge? It solves a LOT of associated typical boosting issues.
What issues ?
An NA-T is as basic as it gets these days.
Old 10-20-08, 07:13 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twojayzee
What issues ?
An NA-T is as basic as it gets these days.
Not the question I asked but let me address your comment then ask again.

Basic turbos for our cars are great. You get some great accel, better fuel effeciency, and a lot more fun in driving. Traditional turbos do however produce significant under engine heat which means you need an intercooler, you'll tend to loose HP due to heat soak so you'll probably need a turbo cover, since there are very limited providers of turbo systems for our cars you either buy cheap and have the need for fabrication or at the mid range (Tubonetics, etc.) you're spending 4K + and you still most likely will have the need to have the unit professionally installed. Also, there's turbo lag without tuning, converting the car back to OEM if you ever want to sell it, etc. so on.

So, back to the question:

Does anyone know enough about the STS (Squires) to make a comment of weather this is a viable option for the 2nd Gen GS3 and/or the 2JZ-GE?

The site (STS Turbo) makes it look pretty simple but I'm looking for relevent comments regarding the viability of bolting on the uiniversal kit to our cars.
Old 10-20-08, 05:50 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not the question I asked but let me address your comment then ask again.

Basic turbos for our cars are great. You get some great accel, better fuel effeciency, and a lot more fun in driving. Traditional turbos do however produce significant under engine heat which means you need an intercooler, you'll tend to loose HP due to heat soak so you'll probably need a turbo cover, since there are very limited providers of turbo systems for our cars you either buy cheap and have the need for fabrication or at the mid range (Tubonetics, etc.) you're spending 4K + and you still most likely will have the need to have the unit professionally installed. Also, there's turbo lag without tuning, converting the car back to OEM if you ever want to sell it, etc. so on.

So, back to the question:

Does anyone know enough about the STS (Squires) to make a comment of weather this is a viable option for the 2nd Gen GS3 and/or the 2JZ-GE?

The site (STS Turbo) makes it look pretty simple but I'm looking for relevent comments regarding the viability of bolting on the uiniversal kit to our cars.

Fair enough. I was just thinking more along the lines of the 1200$ kits that alot of guys are running. The STS is bare bones like one of those.

Back your your question:

Regarding placement, I looked at my 1st gen gs3 and my wifes 2nd gen gs430since under the car is the same as the 2gs3 and if your willing to cut some of the body theres room under there, if your not on air bags with the frame touching the ground. The WG would mount close to a dump pipe, if not using an integral gate. The BOV still up by the TB. I would use hard lines for the oil in lieu of the soft lines for the bilge pump and sump tank.
Im certainly not trying to turn you off the system or be a dic, I just feel for the gs3's there are alot better options.
Now if you were talking 2IS or GS4XX...that would be viable.
Old 10-20-08, 06:49 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Traditional turbos do however produce significant under engine heat which means you need an intercooler
First all turbos create heat.

Why do turbos create under hood heat? Because you are routing extremely hot exhaust gas through a turbine that slightly slows down exhaust flow and retains heat from that exhaust gas.

But that isn't the reason for an intercooler. When compressing air, either by turbo or supercharger, causes the air to heat up. The intercooler cools that compress hot air back to cooler (hopefully close to ambient) air.
Old 10-20-08, 06:56 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IAGS400

Why do turbos create under hood heat? Because you are routing extremely hot exhaust gas through a turbine that slightly slows down exhaust flow and retains heat from that exhaust gas.

But that isn't the reason for an intercooler. When compressing air, either by turbo or supercharger, causes the air to heat up. The intercooler cools that compress hot air back to cooler (hopefully close to ambient) air.
wow buddy. thanks a lot for restating the obvious.

if you read this whole thread, this is about a REMOTE turbo system which places the turbo at the rear of the vehicle, thus the heat from the turbo does not occur under the hood.

though the second part of your very arrogant post is correct about intake air under compression, thus the reason for methanol injection.
Old 10-20-08, 06:58 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Turbos create heat but the heat in a traditional turbo is still under the hood to a larger degree opposed the STS application which is in the rear under part of the car where the muffler. So, the STS inately is cooler since it's exposed to open air, actually moving air, instead of sitting in the engine bay. Closed engine bay with intercooler opposed to open air cooling with intercooler, I tend to think the second would be advantagious but haven't seen one of these upfront to really understand.

(The STS has an intercooler option which brings the temp way down)

twojayzee - thanks for the reply and no, I don't think you were being a dic. This application is really wild, I just wonder if our cars could use it. More so, does it make sense to lok into it. The options under 5K are becoming slimmer and slimmer. My mechanic prefers I buy the Turbonetics but they stopped producing them, the XS Engineering and Supra Store are nice options but my mechanic prefers I do something else (working on the car myself in his garage and I'm a 4 on a scale of 10 as a fabricator). I don't have the stomach to spend 7K installed for the SRT turbo considering the car is only worth 11-12K.

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 10-20-08 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-20-08, 07:08 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Turbos create heat but the heat in a traditional turbo is still under the hood to a larger degree opposed the STS application which is in the rear under part of the car where the muffler. So, the STS inately is cooler since it's exposed to open air, actually moving air, instead of sitting in the engine bay. Closed engine bay with intercooler opposed to open air cooling with intercooler, I tend to think the second would be advantagious but haven't seen one of these upfront to really understand.

(The STS has an intercooler option which brings the temp way down)

twojayzee - thanks for the reply and no, I don't think you were being a dic. This application is really wild, I just wonder if our cars could use it. More so, does it make sense to lok into it. The options under 5K are becoming slimmer and slimmer. My mechanic prefers I buy the Turbonetics but they stopped producing them, the XS Engineering and Supra Store are nice options but my mechanic prefers I do something else (working on the car myself in his garage and I'm a 4 on a scale of 10 as a fabricator). I don't have the stomach to spend 7K installed for the SRT turbo considering the car is only worth 11-12K.
just as an FYI, i decided to shoot an email to the guys at STS to see if they had any ideas for the GS3 and GS4/430. Who knows, maybe they can put together a kit for a comparable price to the suprastore.

dont forget, even with suprastore's kit you still have to buy an AEM FIC which brings your total cost of parts to an even 2k, so it seems like theres a good bit of room to work with.
Old 10-20-08, 07:12 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jcat_GS3
just as an FYI, i decided to shoot an email to the guys at STS to see if they had any ideas for the GS3 and GS4/430. Who knows, maybe they can put together a kit for a comparable price to the suprastore.

dont forget, even with suprastore's kit you still have to buy an AEM FIC which brings your total cost of parts to an even 2k, so it seems like theres a good bit of room to work with.
I sent them a note yesterday but haven't heard from them. If you hear anything please post here

Thank!
Old 10-20-08, 07:15 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

wow buddy. thanks a lot for restating the obvious.

if you read this whole thread, this is about a REMOTE turbo system which places the turbo at the rear of the vehicle, thus the heat from the turbo does not occur under the hood.

though the second part of your very arrogant post is correct about intake air under compression, thus the reason for methanol injection.
Sorry, wasn't trying to be arrogant. I thought the poster who posted the message didn't know this was a remote system becuase he was stating an obvious fact without recognizing the difference of the two.

Again, sorry if I out of line.
Old 10-20-08, 07:22 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Sorry, wasn't trying to be arrogant. I thought the poster who posted the message didn't know this was a remote system becuase he was stating an obvious fact without recognizing the difference of the two.

Again, sorry if I out of line.
no, i was saying that IAGSwhatever was being arrogant, not you.

good look for the idea though, it got me to thinking
Old 10-20-08, 07:31 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Sorry if I was coming off as arrogant. I was just trying to correct a misconception. Just because it is a remote system doesn't mean it doesn't need a intercooler.
Old 10-20-08, 07:38 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry if I was coming off as arrogant. I was just trying to correct a misconception. Just because it is a remote system doesn't mean it doesn't need a intercooler.
hey - we're all cool, just some misunderstandings.

I "think," and I'm not 100% sure that STS claims that their product at operating temp only does not need an intercooler to increase HP, it's cooler than a traditional turbo.

Hopefully they'll call me back or send me an e-mail so I can ask them a few questions.
Old 10-20-08, 07:41 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no, i was saying that IAGSwhatever was being arrogant, not you.
I think it's because Zippy is saying Traditional turbo, thus leading to people (who don't know enough of STS) think it's a new style of turbo ie twin scroll or variable flow, but still under hood..:>?

BTW just throwing a thought out... using a smaller diameter piping from the turbo to intercooler, wouldn't that create faster flow? Despite the supposedly higher heat in the smaller pipe, but since this is a remote mount that mount to the rear of the car, it'll have some chances cooling down and it'll still have a intercooler anyways, it should be better?

Another thought it welding fins like a heat sink along the pipe to further bring the heat out of the pipe when it runs along the underbody of the car...

Quick Reply: Squires Turbo Systems (STS) - has anyone heard of this