Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Squires Turbo Systems (STS) - has anyone heard of this

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-08, 07:44 PM
IAGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is my understanding that you can get away without an intercooler if you stay below 7-9 psi. They make a good point that that ~5 foot of return from the turbo to the MAF is a built in intercooler. What would be really cool is if they could turn that return line into a real intercooler somehow.

The example they give on the main page is only 7 psi. If you want to go much higher, you will need a intercooler and possibly methanol injection.
Old 10-20-08, 09:00 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IAGS400
It is my understanding that you can get away without an intercooler if you stay below 7-9 psi. They make a good point that that ~5 foot of return from the turbo to the MAF is a built in intercooler. What would be really cool is if they could turn that return line into a real intercooler somehow.

The example they give on the main page is only 7 psi. If you want to go much higher, you will need a intercooler and possibly methanol injection.
well either way the air will pick up some heat soak on its way back to the throttle body. thus, if you want to give it the best possible chance of being cool, you want it to hit some cool air (FMIC) as close to the TB as possible. The air definitely loses some heat in the return pipe from ambient air flowing under the car, but picks it right back up as it would more than likely have to be routed right back up by the exhaust system getting toward the front of the car. Even if not, it would be near the radiator eventually, thus more heat soak.

you are correct, higher pressure=more heat= need for meth injection, but that is in extreme cases such as JeffTsai or MacD who are making 4 and 5 hundred (dont know exact numbers) horsepower on an engine that originally put only about 190 to the wheels.

now, go with a remote setup at <10psi, AND an FMIC, you'll be looking at pretty low relative intake air temps, and definitely will not need methanol injection.
Old 10-20-08, 09:55 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to sound like A hole, but F it. Some of you really need to stop making ISH up, please.

You are missleading people just like you have possible been misslead your self with incorrect information from someone else.
Old 10-20-08, 10:59 PM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by speedaddic
our teammate has a low mount turbo (same concept) on his gs430...runs like a bat outta hell...seen him take on some vettes..
nice truck ....sign on to aim dammit !!
Old 10-21-08, 06:16 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I am going to sound like A hole, but F it. Some of you really need to stop making ISH up, please.

You are missleading people just like you have possible been misslead your self with incorrect information from someone else.
Do you know what is being discussed in this thread? Fella, where is all the hate coming from?
Old 10-21-08, 03:53 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
Do you know what is being discussed in this thread? Fella, where is all the hate coming from?
There is a lot of false information being passed back and forth. I really don't want to single anyone out, but if anyone is not sure about what they are saying, then don't make it a stament. Simple questions can go longways and provide more accurate answers and information to the entire Lexus community.

However; if you think I am still hating, that's your opinion and I can live with that
Old 10-21-08, 04:03 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

There is a lot of false information being passed back and forth. I really don't want to single anyone out, but if anyone is not sure about what they are saying, then don't make it a stament. Simple questions can go longways and provide more accurate answers and information to the entire Lexus community.

However; if you think I am still hating, that's your opinion and I can live with that
What?

Dude, good luck to you. We're talking about the STS Remote Turbo application and if this universal application is something that is an option for the 2nd Gen GS.

To those of you who are interested in what is REALLY being discussed, I spoke with Joe from STS this afternoon. He seems to have some real answers and is extremely knowledge. Joe passed along some information to me that I'm going to review and most likely go with the application, I'll have a friend of mine who is a Lexus Master Tech do the install. The only reason I won't do it myself is the injectors have to be re-done for increased capacity and it'll need to be tuned.
Old 10-21-08, 04:28 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

What?

Dude, good luck to you. We're talking about the STS Remote Turbo application and if this universal application is something that is an option for the 2nd Gen GS.

The only reason I won't do it myself is the injectors have to be re-done for increased capacity and it'll need to be tuned.
Yes, tune or you will get turbo lag, right

Also, there's turbo lag without tuning,
STS systems are ment for cars with limited aftermarket turbo sources. However; that does not mean you can not use it. But why would yo? When you can have a better system like so many GS3 owners here for about the same price and it's a bolt on. Your whole reason of wanting this turbo kit is comical, but have fun ether way.
Old 10-21-08, 08:26 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

STS systems are ment for cars with limited aftermarket turbo sources. However; that does not mean you can not use it..[/QUOTE]

Dude - did you look at the cars they use as their normal targets? Your statement is completely untrue. As a matter of fact, my understanding is that STS was in conversation with TM Engineering to offer their product through them.
Old 10-21-08, 08:27 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

When you can have a better system like so many GS3 owners here for about the same price and it's a bolt on. Your whole reason of wanting this turbo kit is comical, but have fun ether way.

Not comical, realistic.

For anyone that might read this I mean no offense.

Bolt on systems out there like XS or the Supra Store are knock off parts, for the most part, that I would have to worry about after they're installed. No warrantee and no exchange. On top of that if you have problems the technical help is on the phone while your car runs like shyite and mechanic bills pile up. What, am I going to fly to Florida or drive 6 hours in my weekend car for resolution with these guys?

The next step is something like LMS, Turbonetics, or Toyomoto but guess what? None of those players are in the market of making turbos for our cars now so if you want one it’s usually used at 90% or better value of buying the product new, no guarantee that the product will even work. And if it doesn’t work, who are you going to call? Same thing with GE-GTE swap, although you might get some service from your 5-10K investment on that one.

Next level is an organization like Swift Racing which are a SWEET set up but out of my $1,000 per month play budget I would rather look another direction. Mind you, these folks are bad A#%!!! You’re looking at 7K installed for that bad boy.

STS offers an alternative and from what I can see a reasonable alternative, unless I’m missing something. And when I say missing something, I want someone to explain to me how you can have local representation available around the country, spend between $3,000-$3,500 installed, and still have some major fun in what I use as my daily driver.

I’m not endorsing these folks and they still have to prove a few things to my before I invest my cash, but it does merit investigation. I’m pretty far down the road, whatever decision I make I’ll share good or bad to contribute back to some folks that done a lot helping me out.
Old 10-21-08, 09:12 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Actually, after GS Fonzy got me fired up with his lack of research before commenting, I found a few more threads covering the same thing (it would be cool if someone from their company would venture to "test dummy" a 2nd Gen GS):

V8
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...&highlight=sts

V8

V8
Old 10-22-08, 07:50 AM
SUPRA OWNER
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you are looking to pay $3500 to boost, I highly suggest

using a different car. Trust me it's not going to happen in a GS. If you are not prepared to spend $8k and up don't even think about it.

When you can have a better system like so many GS3 owners here for about the same price and it's a bolt on. Your whole reason of wanting this turbo kit is comical, but have fun ether way.

Not comical, realistic.

For anyone that might read this I mean no offense.

Bolt on systems out there like XS or the Supra Store are knock off parts, for the most part, that I would have to worry about after they're installed. No warrantee and no exchange. On top of that if you have problems the technical help is on the phone while your car runs like shyite and mechanic bills pile up. What, am I going to fly to Florida or drive 6 hours in my weekend car for resolution with these guys?

I think you need to find yourself a good local shop and build a custom kit for your car. Trust me it's not as hard as people make it out to be. The parts are pretty simple and basic, the key is the stand alone computer and tuning.

The next step is something like LMS, Turbonetics, or Toyomoto but guess what? None of those players are in the market of making turbos for our cars now so if you want one it’s usually used at 90% or better value of buying the product new, no guarantee that the product will even work. And if it doesn’t work, who are you going to call? Same thing with GE-GTE swap, although you might get some service from your 5-10K investment on that one.

Trust me there are plenty shops that can turbo your GS, you will have to do more research. Since you already know about Swift Racing here is another alternative. PFSUPERCARS.COM

Next level is an organization like Swift Racing which are a SWEET set up but out of my $1,000 per month play budget I would rather look another direction. Mind you, these folks are bad A#%!!! You’re looking at 7K installed for that bad boy.

Like I said earlier if you are not ready to spend Minimum of $8K don't even think about it.

STS offers an alternative and from what I can see a reasonable alternative, unless I’m missing something. And when I say missing something, I want someone to explain to me how you can have local representation available around the country, spend between $3,000-$3,500 installed, and still have some major fun in what I use as my daily driver.

Like I said earlier it's not going to happen with $3000. Let me give you some examples, Just reinforcing your tranny to handle boost is around $2k Clutch packs, Sprag Gear, Valve Body, Tranny cooler. Buying a GTE block is $2k, Putting GTE piston and rods into a GE block is about $1500, Stand alone Computer from $1200- $3000, Haltec, AEM, or Tec3. Lets not forget your monitoring tools, Boost Gauge, EGT, Wideband, Blah, Blah, Blah $1k. Trust me it add up quickly. Constant tuning and Dyno pulls because you want your car to run like it came out of the showroom. My car has over 90 dyno pulls, lots of hours spent on tuning my car. In the end 600+rwhp, I can smoke exotics all day long with my trunk full of groceries. LOL

I’m not endorsing these folks and they still have to prove a few things to my before I invest my cash, but it does merit investigation. I’m pretty far down the road, whatever decision I make I’ll share good or bad to contribute back to some folks that done a lot helping me out.
Old 10-22-08, 07:57 AM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SUPRA OWNER
using a different car. Trust me it's not going to happen in a GS. If you are not prepared to spend $8k and up don't even think about it.
You're probably right, your number is a little high but I understand your comments' intent.
Old 10-22-08, 08:55 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

http://www.lextreme.com/tt.html

email this guy i believe he's a member on here. and this was on his ls400 but almost the same concept! its very doable just a little pricey and time consuming! but not many options for turbo out for our cars without spending like 12k!
Old 10-22-08, 09:06 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sakataj
http://www.lextreme.com/tt.html

email this guy i believe he's a member on here. and this was on his ls400 but almost the same concept! its very doable just a little pricey and time consuming! but not many options for turbo out for our cars without spending like 12k!
+1 on this comment and Supra_Owners. Unless you're building it from scratch and have a welder on retainer, it's going to run into the $8-12k range to turbo out a GS4xxx

Quick Reply: Squires Turbo Systems (STS) - has anyone heard of this