Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Snow Mode

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-02 | 04:28 PM
Drive4Fun
Driver

Default Snow Mode

Does anyone know, for sure, what selecting snow mode accomplishes?
Old 02-19-02 | 08:07 PM
hubbard316
Pole Position

I know it makes you start out in a higher gear ( I think its 3rd) to keep your tires from slipping during bad weather. This is opposed to starting out in 1st and having to much power go to the wheels and therefore spinning.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-19-02 | 11:03 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

Please lets not start this one up again, Try the search forum, there was a Huge discussion that lasted for like a month... I think it was concluded that it remaps ur throttle and actually has nothin to do with the gears, u might wanna check it out though to be sure

ShOwGS
Old 02-20-02 | 05:24 AM
Drive4Fun
Driver

I know it was discussed, but I'm unsure of the accuracy of the conclusion. I'm quit sure that snow mode has nothing to do with start-up gear.
Old 02-25-02 | 07:14 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Word Of Advice....NEVER TAKE YOUR GS IN THE SNOW!!!
It sucks...Badly...
RWD---Snow doesnt mix..
VSC is working its ***** off to keep you out an accident...but its not enough
My mom took her car out in the snow ONCE...b/c he had to...she will never do it again. We spend 30 Min trying to get it up the driveway. It wasn't completly spinning b/c of the T/C But it wasn't enough weight on the Back wheels..
One good thing is VSC is more senstive to kick in than in Normal mode.. A couple of times the Tail end stepped out:eek:
Old 02-26-02 | 02:58 AM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

My GS = Snow... Here in New England, I have to drive in snow. Which my GS handle perfectly.... don't really know what you guys are talking about. GS handle snow well.. even with the 4 season tires. Ask any Northern CL member.. I even drove back from Toronto just this winter.. after the big blizzard in Bufflo.. at period of time, I cann't even see 1 car ahead of me.... but my GS never skip a heartbeat...

Word of advice.. learn how the Rear Wheel handle in snow.. try a empty parking lot in snow days.. and go wild... you will get to know the other side of the GS that you don't know..
Old 02-26-02 | 07:49 AM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

are u talking about also having the 17 in Wheels with the bridgestone tires? ya of course with 16's the car can drive and all season tires too, But put those 17 inch wheels and I could bet that u wouldn't even be able to make it up a driveway, Trust me, No matter how softly you press the gas, the back tires will spin, even in snow mode,

ShOwGS
Old 02-26-02 | 03:30 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

I have 16" GoodYear gt+4 for the last two winter, this winter I have my 17" Wheel with Dun WinterSPII... LOL.... My driveway is angle at 30 degree.... hohoho.. No problem climbing...

We had a rear wheel drive Volvo before.. It was never a problem in Toronto with Snowtire... so.. long story short... get the freaking Winter Tire....
Old 02-26-02 | 07:02 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Yeah well my Mom Had the 17'' Wheels with the Bridgestone Potenzas...
As far as knowing how to handle a RWD car... it Was Hard Packed Snow..that was slick and my dad was driving it back home. He has a LS-1 Camaro with about 360 HP so I think he knows how to handle a RWD car quite well...
As a Matter of Fact when the Rear end steps out he brings it back in control before the VSC even gets a chance to do its work..
We used to live in Germany were there lots of snow and Had a RWD Volvo. This Lexus is the worst Performaing Car in the snow we've owned...
I think Mainly your car does better in snow is b/c you have the All season tires. And you're probrobly on Freshly Packed snow anyway.

Last edited by CometVR4; 03-02-02 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-14-02 | 12:03 PM
GJSGS4
Driver

No matter which mode you put the transmission in you can not skip first gear. You get four shifts (five gears) in snow mode just like normal mode. If you hold the accelerator constant and alternate between snow and regular mode the car will change acceleration rates, but it is just re-mapping the amount of fuel/gas you get for a given throttle position. The snow mode also changes the point where the transmission shifts, but it doesn't skip any gears.
Old 03-14-02 | 06:01 PM
Navaz
Pole Position

Originally posted by 2Fast4U3000GT
Yeah well my Mom Had the 17'' Wheels with the Bridgestone Potenzas...
As far as knowing how to handle a RWD car... it Was Hard Packed Snow..that was slick and my dad was driving it back home. He has a LS-1 Camaro with about 360 HP so I think he knows how to handle a RWD car quite well...
As a Matter of Fact when the Rear end steps out he brings it back in control before the VSC even gets a chance to do its work..
We used to live in Germany were there lots of snow and Had a RWD Volvo. This Lexus is the worst Performaing Car in the snow we've owned...
I think Mainly your car does better in snow is b/c you have the All season tires. And you're probrobly on Freshly Packed snow anyway.
So with your first sentence your basicaly telling every one at CL you are an idiot!. If your from Germany you would at least have common sence that Z - Rated tires do not work in snow. GET WINTER TIRES. If you want to use your 17's get the Blizzak LM-22 Or MZ 02. I will Put My GS on the line. With those tires, the GS is a great winter car I know first hand. I live up in Canada! Had a snow storm a few years ago 42 cm in one day!. My GS had no problems.